Got scammed by a 500+ head-fier what a shame
Oct 2, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #46 of 57
This is what the feedback on people's profiles is for. If a trade goes bad and people leave appropriate feedback, other people can see that and decide for themselves if they will trade with them. 

For obvious reasons, posting people's personal information on the forums isn't permitted.

Oct 2, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #47 of 57

Quote:
This is what the feedback on people's profiles is for. If a trade goes bad and people leave appropriate feedback, other people can see that and decide for themselves if they will trade with them. 

For obvious reasons, posting people's personal information on the forums isn't permitted.

People can also "disappear", set up a new profile and they are free to go.

Oct 2, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #48 of 57
If evidence presented is sufficient, the scammer is a criminal, no better than robbers and kidnappers. The public should be warned of the particular person. If not, it would be like a murderer's face not shown in public train stations, etc.

Oct 3, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #49 of 57

Quote:
Quote:

People can also "disappear", set up a new profile and they are free to go.

They can TRY. 
evil_smiley.gif

I think in this case the supposed "scammer" has had something happen to him, as is usually the case in these situations. Genuine scammers try and get as many people as possible at once before leaving. However, upon returning, after they see the lynch mob they sometimes run away scared and really do their best to disappear.

Oct 3, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #50 of 57

Quote:
I politely disagree, with admins permissions we should create a list of members proved to be scammers, username, real name, email, address. to maybe prevent it to happen again.

authorities do nothing in these cases.

Co-sign.  We do this at my watch forums -- now those can be very expensive scams.  Some of the guys there are incredible detective types; finding and posting name, address, phone, school, ISP, photo of the house, etc.

So far as posting the scammers address in concerned, What?  He rips off the poor guy and the bleeding hearts are worried about the scammer.  Screw him.  The OP should use everything at his disposal to rectify the situation and, failing that, take every measure available to make the scammer as uncomfortable as possible.  I will not mention baseball bats, but if it were me...

Oct 3, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #51 of 57

Quote:
They can TRY. 
evil_smiley.gif

I think in this case the supposed "scammer" has had something happen to him, as is usually the case in these situations. Genuine scammers try and get as many people as possible at once before leaving. However, upon returning, after they see the lynch mob they sometimes run away scared and really do their best to disappear.

I doubt they will disappear if they're not caught. Could be an amateur scammer. 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 3, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #52 of 57

Quote:
They can TRY. 
evil_smiley.gif

I can't imagine people running away scared just because of some group of people on Head-Fi.org talking about this.
They can just join the conversation and we may never know.
...Stealth...

Oct 3, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #53 of 57
What I meant is, it's not so trivial to re-register undetected.

Oct 3, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #55 of 57

Quote:
really? I didn't expect that. 
I thought that putting a false name would suffice.
Could you enlighten me?

I believe they can be tracked through their ip address and also another permanent address. In the internet, you leave traces everywhere. No such things as anonymous really, just hidden for some time.

Oct 3, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #56 of 57

Quote:
I believe they can be tracked through their ip address and also another permanent address. In the internet, you leave traces everywhere. No such things as anonymous really, just hidden for some time.

Of course, but who on Head-Fi.org or Huddler.com would do that?
Almost everything is traceable, it just depends on how good you cover you tracks. (i am not sure whether that counts for governments or hackers with government affiliation as well).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back