Got my Ray Samuels B-52!!!
Dec 16, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #196 of 227
So what are the low frequencies like? I know they don't go real low but do you get any real impact? There are some pretty good EL34's coming out now. The Mullard copy that Jim McShane has are supposed to be very, very good. New tubes are finally starting to make the grade.

Dec 16, 2007 at 10:05 AM Post #197 of 227
I will have to say that I feel that most music lives in the midrange and these speakers do a fantastic job of portraying that midrange magic.

You are absolutely right in that it does not reproduce the very low level frequencies...I do plan to remedy that with a hemp cone based subwoofer which can easily play down to the mid 20hz range. That is good enough for me.

Yet jazz seems to have beautiful impact and presence. The upright bass on Patricia Barbers Use Me and a other tracks is ethereal.

Any links on where to purchase the Jim McShane EL34s?? Very interesting bit of information there.

~G

Dec 26, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #198 of 227
Sorry to bring up a semi-dead thread, but I'm in the market for an amp about the same price. I've seen alot of people recommend the b52 for a speaker amp, and im looking for aheadphone amp. I know the B52 will be great for headphones, but I also want to see what else is out there. Are there any others in that price range that any of you would recommend? I'm going to test these at the NYC meet before I buy to make sure I like their sound sigs. All I want now are some names and recommendations for high end headphone amps.

Thanks a ton

Dec 26, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #199 of 227
What amplifier/s are you using and what type of speakers?

Dec 26, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #200 of 227
Terri,

I really think you must evaluate the use of the product you are considering to buy.

Do you need a headphone amp that does double duty as an excellent preamp. You see, you might be paying for features you do not need.

Many people actually like to have dedicated headphone amps and preamps. It really depends on your preferences, budget and intended use.

If you are looking for an integrated headamp/preamp, others to consider beside the B52 are Singlepower Maestro and higher, Rudistor, Headamp and Meir amps.

Also, do you want tubes or solid state??

I went with an excellent solid state headmp/preamp because I fell in love with some tube power amps. My solid state just blends in extremely well with the tube amps and the sound is just unreal (for my speaker based system).

Anyhow, please research and know your preferences before you commit.

EDIT: Also look into aspects of synergy. Good synergy can easily outweigh multi thousand dollar components that do not work well together. Buying the best components does not guarantee the best sound...at least that is what I have seen so far
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck!

~G

Dec 27, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #201 of 227
Yeah, All I need is a headphone amp. So I wont be powering any speakers with these. I'd love to save money! heh, My only gripe with headphone amps mis that there are oodles and oodles of them so it's really hard to find one when you're in the market. I just want some names of a few really great headphone amps that I can research so I know what I'm listening to at the meet.

I'd like a tube amp, I'm very familiar with 6SN7 tubes but I dont think the really high end stuff will use those, but then again I dont know. However, I am open to solid state, it certainly makes things easier but I like the customization that tubes give you.

I dont quite understand what a preamp does? Is a preamp to speakers what a headphone amp is to headphones?

EDIT: I know what a preamp is now, but is it needed? Or is it wasted Money?

EDIT: Please forgive my noobyness :p

Dec 27, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #202 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by Territhemayor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to bring up a semi-dead thread, but I'm in the market for an amp about the same price. I've seen alot of people recommend the b52 for a speaker amp, and im looking for aheadphone amp. I know the B52 will be great for headphones, but I also want to see what else is out there. Are there any others in that price range that any of you would recommend? I'm going to test these at the NYC meet before I buy to make sure I like their sound sigs. All I want now are some names and recommendations for high end headphone amps.

Thanks a ton

Terri,

If you are looking for a headphone amp that doubles as a speaker amp I'm guessing that you mean the Beta22 not B-52. The B-52 can be used as a pre-amp. I don't see a bunch of B-52s up on the FS forum, that would lead me to believe that their owners are happy with them.

You you need to slow down and spend some quality time experimenting with your own rig. Bring something different to a meet don't just try to clone someone else's.

Dec 27, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #203 of 227
It seems I wasn't clear, sorry about that. I'm just looking for a headphone amp, I'm never going to be using speakers. I just want some recommendations of headphone amps (possibly with preamps, although im not sure about that) that I can research before testing them at the meet.

In this thread I read that the B-52 can be used with speakers. The Ray Samuels B-52
The Emmeline II, "B-52" - Ray Samuels Audio
Theres a good chance that I am wrong, sorry about that then.
in fact I think I am wrong.

I'm going to start all over. Forget I was ever here.

nevermind, heh.

Dec 28, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #206 of 227
If you can swing the B52, then I would HIGHLY recommend the Salagar S210

SALAGAR Sonics Symphony S210 speakers - SlashGear

Amazing sounding speaker! Had they come out sooner, I would have easily gone for these instead of my current tube amps/speakers/interconnects.

Oh well, I am happy either way
smily_headphones1.gif

~G

Dec 28, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #207 of 227
This is what I'm going to do: Save up my money like I was going to buy B-52 and when the NYC meet comes around I'm going to test it and really think hard about if I like it and the sound sig. If I do, I'll get it (I'm EVENTUALLY going to be doing speakers, but eventually will be like 3 years MINIMUM)
If I don't like it, I may go with the Raptor + maybe Leatherheads (probably not though, just the Raptor)

I do have a few questions about the B-52
What does the Tape Loop function do? I see alot of high end amps have that. Is that for recording?

The B-52 (or the raptor, for that matter) will be my first high end tube amp. With my current BADA, I get alot of noise even when nothing but is playing through, just noise from the tubes and the amp. Do high quality tube amps have this? Or is it just dead silent?

Does anyone have any dimensions on how big the B-52 is? Also, is it really heavy? As in: Will it be difficult to steal?

I would ask Ray, but I don't want to waste his time.

Thanks a ton

Dec 28, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #208 of 227
Difficult to steal?

Dec 28, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #209 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by Territhemayor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is what I'm going to do: Save up my money like I was going to buy B-52 and when the NYC meet comes around I'm going to test it and really think hard about if I like it and the sound sig. If I do, I'll get it (I'm EVENTUALLY going to be doing speakers, but eventually will be like 3 years MINIMUM)
If I don't like it, I may go with the Raptor + maybe Leatherheads (probably not though, just the Raptor)

I do have a few questions about the B-52
What does the Tape Loop function do? I see alot of high end amps have that. Is that for recording?

The B-52 (or the raptor, for that matter) will be my first high end tube amp. With my current BADA, I get alot of noise even when nothing but is playing through, just noise from the tubes and the amp. Do high quality tube amps have this? Or is it just dead silent?

Does anyone have any dimensions on how big the B-52 is? Also, is it really heavy? As in: Will it be difficult to steal?

I would ask Ray, but I don't want to waste his time.

Thanks a ton

If I had one of these I'd plug the STAX amp into the tape loop, pre-out into powered speakers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Difficult to steal?

Stealing, you know, borrowing something that isn't yours without asking the owner.

Edit: Terri, no, you can't slip one into your coat pocket when no one is looking at the NY meet.

Dec 28, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #210 of 227
i mean, can it be stolen from me, lol.(I dont want to have anything so high priced that if it gets stolen im screwed. If it's so heavy that no one will beable to steal it from me, I would feel alot better about buying it.)
it would be used in a college dorm, so....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back