Got my Ray Samuels B-52!!!
Dec 28, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #211 of 227
Yeah, but weight normally isn't going to deter somebody if they really want something. I just find it an interesting criteria for a possible purchase. I guess with the power supply and umbilical to the B-52 they might trip when they run away with it so it has built in theft prevention or you could bolt it down. The case is a pretty good gauge aluminum and you could drill a couple of holes through it, run some nice big bolts down into a substrate and there you go.

To the question: the B-52 is pretty heavy so I guess they won't just put it in a backpack and walk off unnoticed.

With this kind of amp I wouldn't want anyone messing with it, turning it on and playing with it because people can do some weird things at times. It is a beautiful piece of equipment that needs a good home. It is a major work of art, IMO.

Dec 28, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #212 of 227
exactly. I may just go with the raptor and keep this a pipe dream, heh. I dont think I have a good use for it yet. I have no speakers, not good power supply. Forget my previous plan, I think I'll just go with the raptor.

Would you guys say that the Raptor is comparable to the headphone amp part of the B-52?

Dec 28, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #213 of 227
If so but it were but I doubt it. They use different tubes and just about everything else is different except they both glow when turned on. The Raptor would take up less room and like the B-52, has its own separate power supply.

Dec 28, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #214 of 227
Having heard the B-52 @ the recent NYC meet and from my past ownership of the Raptor, I would say the Raptor is about 50% of the B-52, soundwise.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I only listened to the B-52 balanced; didn't get a chance with the single-ended outputs.

Dec 28, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #215 of 227
Ouch! 50%? Well there you go. There are people who have written very good things about the Raptor so I guess the 52 must be heaven sent. :^)

Dec 28, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #216 of 227
thats disconcerting to me. I'll look at other tube amps, since I have another few month or more until I make the purchase. Does anyone have any recommendations (I really just want names that i can research) of high end tube amps? I'm looking for more than the Raptor, but less than the B-52 I think. I wish I could just get the B-52 headamp part.
frown.gif

Dec 28, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #217 of 227
Well then I am not sure you can compare then since balanced is just a bit different than single ended. I would get more opinions on the Raptor but there are many amps to choose from.

Dec 28, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #218 of 227
There are too many, thats why I have no idea where to start. Amps are a dime a dozen, there are so many I have no idea where to start. Balanced or Single ended is fine.
My only beef with the Raptor is that I sometimes need to power 2 headphones at once, and the Raptor is only single channel.

Dec 28, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #220 of 227
You might want to start a new thread and explain what you are looking for, price range and ask for suggestions.

Mar 5, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #222 of 227
Should I be concerned about the wear and tear from inserting/removing my phones in the B52's standard headphone jack every day?
What about the balanced jacks?
Thanks in advance.

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #223 of 227
every time you remove a 1/4" plug, you short the circuit. whether that has any effect on anything i'm not sure. the same doesn't apply to XLR jacks though.

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #224 of 227
Hi Terith,

I was in your same boat only a few days ago looking at a B52 or a Raptor. I really want the B52 but for about 6k I can't justify it at the moment for use only with headphones.

I want to build a balanced Hi-Fi system down the track and that is why I was looking at buying the B52 but once I looked at what it would cost me to buy all the items I want to do my balanced system correctly I was getting little change out of 16k. I don't have that kind of spare money at the time to spend on Hi-Fi equipment, it's needed for more important things.

I came to the conclusion that the Raptor is right up there with the best of them for a single ended headphone amp and im sure I won't be disappointed with it, so I placed an order for one and I can't wait to get it.

The B52 will be great down the track but I think it's a little silly to buy such an amp just for headphones and nothing more when the Raptor is still going to sound great. If we are talking a Stereo speaker setup then we are in B52 country.

I think you can't go wrong with the Raptor headphone amp.

Mar 6, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #225 of 227
Thanks for the replies. Do most folks leave their phones connected all the time?
Is the physical wear on the jack an issue
(on something like the B52, I thought this might be a factor)?
As far as the shorting goes in the B52,
I think this may not occur if the phones are only attached/detached with the power off.
Thanks again for any comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back