Got my Ray Samuels B-52!!!
Dec 12, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #181 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by rgs9200m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I replaced my old Apache with a B52. In short, the B52 may be the best component I've ever bought in 30 years of audiophilia. It seems to cure (or substantially reduce) the ills of everything else in the system, including the recording. It creates a wonderful zone of contentment inside the the headphones, a kind of happy zone, a safe mist, where all is well. No shrillness, no boom, no grain, no tizz. It heals bad sound around it. It does no harm.

I thought it would be similar to the Apache, with a kind of house sound. No.
It just looks similar. The B52 is far better. It is in a class by itself. The Apache (a fine amp in its own right) has a nice, clean, smooth sound that does reveal its surrounding components. The B52 just takes over and creates its own world. With my Grado GS1000s, the searing highs are now a friendly sparkle. In fact, the whole impression with the Grados is that the whold soundfield is of a piece.
There is a nice, full space with happy blobs of sound, but not flabby or rolled off.
Old, scraping, grainy 80's recordings are
now fluid and warm. It's amazing.
The B52 is like the ultimate painkiller. It's my last headphone amp.
I also did spot check of its preamp abilities, and also thought the sound was outstanding. The B52 is simply extraordinary, worth every penny, and I could imagine it
becoming a collector's item like the
MDR-R10s or classic Marantz gear someday. Sell whatever you have to and get your hands on one of these.

congrats on the purchase. just recently heard the B52 at a meet (had heard it before) and as always it was very impressive. a truly great sounding headphone amp. my apache to me sounds very good, but i'm not going to kid myself to think that it is on par with its big brother.

enjoy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #183 of 227
I often travel and miss my family dearly. When I return home, I spend quality time with them and appreciate being home. When all settles, I crack open the door to my home office, fade up the lights a bit and flick the switch on my B-52. Within a few seconds the slight warm glow and audio fidelity goodness makes it feel like I never left. I have always felt my B-52 to be a very emotion evoking amplifier. Jazz never sounded so good.

Dec 12, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #184 of 227
Ok, I will do you a favor. If you don't live more than a 1000 or so miles away I will keep your B-52 warmed up for you. Oh wait, what tubes are you using?

Dec 12, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #185 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I will do you a favor. If you don't live more than a 1000 or so miles away I will keep your B-52 warmed up for you. Oh wait, what tubes are you using?

I rolled in some 1950s bronze plate 5687s and they sound great, especially expansive sounding in the mid range.

Dec 12, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #186 of 227
Ok, you are on the right track. I have some TungSol 1958 that I can bring along. Oh wait, . . . what headphones are you using?

Dec 15, 2007 at 8:18 AM Post #188 of 227
Quote:

(Now I need to sell my old Stax Omega system...).

/me want an SR-Omega...
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2007 at 12:21 PM Post #189 of 227
Quote:

What power cables do folks use on
their B52s? Thanks.

I use a cheap VISA cable you can find powering any old computer monitor.

Dec 15, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #191 of 227
""Originally Posted by 4N6
I finally got some good balanced amps to feed the B52 into, and added the turntable into the system. Man I love vinyl!!!!""

Looks like a great setup. I hope you don't run out of power for the speakers?! :^)

I prefer good accurate speakers to anything else, even if a little bass is sacrificed. I have much life music and nothing is even the same. Some days the music is bass light or the highs are gone. I would take good smaller speakers any day if the music spectrum, on whole, is well produced.

So how do you like the sound of your setup? Nice to see you have a turntable.

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #192 of 227
Hi ProAcs are amazing little speakers. I was totally contemplating those, but the urge to go single driver and crossover-less was too strong. I seriously love 4N6s setup. Good Job!

~G

Dec 15, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #193 of 227
I have read of the crossover-less speakers. Very interesting. How do you like the sound compared to others?

Dec 16, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #195 of 227
Jamato8,

With no crossover, the amp sees a very simple load. The sound is extremely cohesive from the lower mids, mids to the highs. It just feels much more natural and non-hi-fi. I wanted to try and recreate the experience of having the performer in my room without feeling that I was listening to speakers...I accomplished that feeling.

Now all that I am going to do is fine tune that "naturalness" with some tube rolling in my Consonance Cyber 800 amps and see where it takes me.

I have some nice Tungsol 1960s Black Plate D getters ready along with some Blue JJ Tesla EL34s
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope that helped.

~G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back