Got my new GR06 (in india)..4 days..still burning. It doesnt sound as reviewed on headfi (joker)
Oct 10, 2012 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

nkatkamwar

New Head-Fier
I got my new Gr06 this week..

Stiill burning.. may be 30 hrs till now..
it doesnt sound as reviewed..

My  SM pl11 + Fiio E6 sound better (pl11 are year old)..

I am unhappy...

Guyz do you think the sound will change?
and when?

There was a fusion song..in which i could hear vocals bt background guitar was mushed..
whereas cheap sony phone stock earbuds ( 8 months old)  could clearly distinguish guitar and vocals..

BASS: it seems cheap as of now for some songs. and good for some songs.. not prevalent as cheap pl11's

Treble: Is good, but seems lacking enough defination.

Tried equing..

no help..  :frowning2:

I am worried..
can some one explain whats happening..

Joker gave 8.1 to these..

Even Freakin bose IE2 (well burnt) sounded better...!

Plz reply guys..
what should i do????

:frowning2:

Regards,

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #2 of 25
Reviews are subjective. What ljokerl likes, you may not. Don't take one person's opinion to be the absolute definitive consensus. Joker has a preference towards certain sound signatures (analytical), as does any reviewer.

That being said, you might just not have a good fit. I didn't get a good seal with the usual tips, and had to use slightly larger ones. Mostly in due to the square-ish housings that didn't like to stay in my ears. Try some tip rolling. Much more effective way of tuning sound that "burn-in" or "amp synergy" or "$2000 cables for $60 IEMs" The midrange is very nice and forward with these, so what you described seems a bit off. 

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 25
No, they're not going to change to a point bass will suddenly pop out if that's what you're waiting for, this is why many people become mislead when reading about burn in. Burn in changes are subtle at best, there will be no magic transformation like some people put across in threads, although people are hearing these changes when put into words they sometimes comes across in a larger scale than reality.

Because they scored 8.1 on ljokerl's review doesn't mean there will be BIG bass, he's probably talking about bass quality, texture and clarity. Sounds like you're after more quantity, a larger volume of bass which you'll need to find in another IEM along with the other lacking areas you mentioned. Try listening to them for a while, let your ears and mind adjust to a different signature, you never know, you may just happen to enjoy it.

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #5 of 25
I haven't heard the gr06 but drivers can actually sound worse for a bit on their way to get better. Play them louder for a bit, be patient and try to acclimate to them. Check your DAP and E6 for EQ settings and remove them before starting over. I would trust the overall review by Joker but that doesn't mean that they will be your personal cup of tea or synergistic to your setup.

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #6 of 25
One of these three would be the explanation:

1. You've got a broken pair
2. You don't get a good enough fit
3. The soundsignature is not what you like

I own the GR06 myself and what you describe is very far from my impression with them. I rank them as the best IEM I've got!

My guess would be 1 or 2 since you're description of how they sound doesn't seem right.

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:
One of these three would be the explanation:

1. You've got a broken pair
2. You don't get a good enough fit
3. The soundsignature is not what you like

I own the GR06 myself and what you describe is very far from my impression with them. I rank them as the best IEM I've got!

My guess would be 1 or 2 since you're description of how they sound doesn't seem right.

+1
Yeah, I don't own the PL11, but if it's anything like their other earphines that I've heard (PL50, E30, E10) then you should be able to at least tell that the GR06 are great earphones, even if it doesn't match your preferred sound signature.
There might be something wrong with them.

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #8 of 25
Well, I got my gr06 a few months ago & didn't like it at first.
It was very harsh & piercing, especially on some notes, which made the overall listening experience really bad.
But after a week or so of non-continuous burn in/acclimatisation,
It eventually sounded much better.
The sibilant highs were gone & I could hear the bass texture more.

So, I suggest you try to get used to it for a few more days.
The gr06 is a really great budget IEM

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #9 of 25
I checked for anamolies..nothing physical is visible though..

In sound...

I use a nokia 5800 phone as my source..

loudness is enough.. so.i like my phones o/p. I like them over new phones as well..

I like wider soundstage and instrument seperation and nice bass..

1. What do i check to conclude that its broken .( Old classics by Burl ives sounded never better but when lots of instruments come in picture these favour vocals) 
if they are broken i can claim warranty..

2. I am using soft white colored tips( i think its for noise isolation )

3. sound signature may be a problem i think..

and i am used to Indian bollywood songs, English pop but now i am experimenting with progressive/alternate rock, metal, fusion,trence, old classics etc..

bottomline..

Can u tell me how do i verify tht my GR06 has a defect???
it would help..

else..

suggest me a song..
i ll listen to it and describe it here..
so that you guyz would be able to analyze whats wrong..

its my first 50$> IEm..
my IEM extravaganza should not be hindered this way..
plz help..

" I only Love music coz they sound better in my IEM..! "

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:
Well, I got my gr06 a few months ago & didn't like it at first.
It was very harsh & piercing, especially on some notes, which made the overall listening experience really bad.
But after a week or so of non-continuous burn in/acclimatisation,
It eventually sounded much better.
The sibilant highs were gone & I could hear the bass texture more.

So, I suggest you try to get used to it for a few more days.
The gr06 is a really great budget IEM

I second you...
I have a similar experience..
its just..
my brother has sony xperia , he played a song by Anoushka shakar and Karsh kale's  Sea dreamer song from album Breathing under water.. it has vocals and sitar..
it starts with sitar..its clear..
then vocals pitch in..everythngs good..

then sitar is meant to sound distant and vocals in your head..

what is happening is vocals are cool..
but sitar needs to be searched when hearing on vsonics..
but his free stock sony buds present them distinctively and both aspects are evident..

does this mean ther is smthn wrong?

btw now burned for 36 hrs..

what do i do?

I personally dont think my vsonics are not broken..
for some songs its working fine, for some it has deficiencies..!

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:
2. I am using soft white colored tips( i think its for noise isolation )

The included foamies are HORRIBLE. Absolutely some of the worst tips I've had in my ears. Foam tips usually soak up details and such, but these ones overly smoothed everything out. Try some bi-flanges and silicones.

Oct 13, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #12 of 25
I dont know what happened ..
But nw..
my pl11 are on bench..
For some reason i only like hearing on my GR06..
i still have complains though..
overall experience is just intriguing...

Thnx headfiers for helping..

What tips should i go for..?

any specific ones..

the ones i ll get in open market may be of cheap quality..
is there any standardized brand..
i can ask fr it..?
or search online fr it..

Oct 13, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:
I dont know what happened ..
But nw..
my pl11 are on bench..
For some reason i only like hearing on my GR06..
i still have complains though..
overall experience is just intriguing...

Thnx headfiers for helping..

What tips should i go for..?

any specific ones..

the ones i ll get in open market may be of cheap quality..
is there any standardized brand..
i can ask fr it..?
or search online fr it..

Glad you got used to the sound! The stock fake Hybrids that come with them are pretty good already. If you want better sound from them, what I do is grab the plastic hard core from a foam tip (you'd have to de-core it) and insert them in the Hybrids. Gives a tighter sound IMO. De-cored Shure olives sound work too. 

Oct 13, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:
Glad you got used to the sound! The stock fake Hybrids that come with them are pretty good already. If you want better sound from them, what I do is grab the plastic hard core from a foam tip (you'd have to de-core it) and insert them in the Hybrids. Gives a tighter sound IMO. De-cored Shure olives sound work too. 

So..
comply nt good enough?

how do i decore a tip?

I am new to this type of mods..!

can u refer me a link for the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back