Got my HD800, what now?
Jan 10, 2011 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dmk1

New Head-Fier
I have the HD800 since July and the more I use them, the more I like them. My music collection never sounded better and I'm still amazed when I hear certain pieces. Yet I keep thinking that I'm not using them to their full potential and that's nothing short of a sin! My system consists of a DacMagic and a CK2III, music (mostly FLAC) is on my PC with a Xonar D2X serving as a transport to the DacMagic.

With roughly 500€ burning a hole in my pocket, what should I replace, the DacMagic or the CK2III? I have to say I'm a skeptic about dac's and amps... while I could easily distinguish my HD595 from my K701 and the latter from the HD800, the DacMagic and CK2III haven't brought much to the table. In fact, I have trouble setting my HD800 + DacMagic + CK2III apart from a HD800 + Sansa Clip combo. They just don't sound that different to me, certainly not worth the price difference between the little player and the desktop dac+amp. Topics like milosz' amp comparisons (link: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/521988/amp-a-b-comparisons) fuel my skepticism.

So, I guess my question is: if I go to the next level of dac's and amps, would I finally hear a significant improvement or would I just be buying prettier boxes made with more expensive metals and plastics? It took me quite a while to be able to afford the HD800 and since I live in the countryside, I have no chance of testing high-end equipment in a store to clear any doubts. Have to buy it to test it and the HD800 were a true leap of faith. Hopefully it paid off, the HD800 are a definite upgrade from the K701 (in every aspect), but this time I don't have much faith. My experiences tell me that since my current dac & amp aren't a noticeable improvement (perhaps I should add "to me" right here) over a cheap portable player, buying more expensive stuff would simply be a waste of money. Then again, my experiences are pretty limited and this forum is full of knowledgeable people, so here I am, humbly asking for guidance.

P.S. I realize this is not exactly a thread about headphones, but since it includes both dac's and amps, I didn't know where else to put it. If it's in the wrong place, I apologize and if a mod wants to move it, please do so.

Jan 10, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 6
Dont worry. If you're happy with the sound, theres no need to upgrade.

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #3 of 6
Well, sure I'm happy with the sound, but then again I was also happy when I bought the HD595 and later on the K701. There's always the need to... be happier
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #4 of 6
How loud do you listen to your music at?

I find that to be able to tell the difference between amp/dac in the hundred range and the 1k+ range, you need to listen at 80db+. You hear a lot more, and the subtle differences that weren't noticeable suddenly becomes crystal clear.

If you are a low level listener, I don't see any point in upgrading. I have a HD800 too, and I know I can turn up the volume more on my Ultra micro stack. But I see no point in doing so, since I'm not exactly comfortable at that kind of volume.

Of course everyone's ears are different. You'll just need to try things out yourself. Find something with a return policy.

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
How loud do you listen to your music at?

I find that to be able to tell the difference between amp/dac in the hundred range and the 1k+ range, you need to listen at 80db+. You hear a lot more, and the subtle differences that weren't noticeable suddenly becomes crystal clear.

If you are a low level listener, I don't see any point in upgrading. I have a HD800 too, and I know I can turn up the volume more on my Ultra micro stack. But I see no point in doing so, since I'm not exactly comfortable at that kind of volume.

Of course everyone's ears are different. You'll just need to try things out yourself. Find something with a return policy.

I'm not a low level listener. I usually stay in the 80db range, occasionally going a little higher when I get really involved in the music.

A return policy is a must, yes, but hard to find. Not many portuguese online stores sell hi-fi and those that do practice some pretty outrageous prices. I'll have to order from some other country (or buy used, no return policy on that but it's cheaper).

Quote:
Try hooking them up to another amp, maybe the HA-160? It does a good job with sennh's. 

That's one of the amps I'm looking at. Ordering from Australia is a pain, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back