Got me LCD-2s, do I still need my HD800s?
Mar 15, 2011 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

24phun

New Head-Fier
Well, I've now got a pair of LCD-2s w/ALO cables - and I don't know if I will ever use my HD800s again. Maybe it's a phase I'm going thru? Will I grow out of this?

Even w/my Benchmark DAC the LCDs sound marvelous. Through my Peak, sublime. The HD800s sound VERY thin by comparison. Bigger sound-stage for sure, but the weight of the instruments aren't there. I thought they were, but the LCDs showed me I was wrong. Okay the LCDs are heavier, but very comfy, and the music keeps flowing by...... I thought I didn't have all the detail, but now that they're burning in I think it's there, it just doesn't smack you upside the head. You have to listen for it, if you choose to.

So tell me, will I ever put the HD800s on again? Should I re-cable them, or not waste the time/money?

OK, I know a few (many) will say "mod 'em"! But I don't want to go that route if I end up selling them.

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #2 of 9
I think its just preference, I for one prefer my hd800 to my LCD.

I must say though, that I was never really happy with my hd800 till I paired it with the crack. Goes someway to showing how important synergy is.

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #5 of 9
sell it, then buy an amp = win

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #6 of 9
So, is a new cable not worth considering?

And yep, if I sell 'em I'll probably look at an all tube amp thingy. Maybe even if I don't sell'em.

You guyz have a disease, and I think I've caught it.

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
I would suggest a SS amp for the LCD-2...not sure how well it synergizes with tube amps.

orthos are best with Tube hybrids IMHO - after trying a few SS and a few hybrids with my thunderpants  the hybrids came out way ahead.. Gotta have the tube aspect to really make those ortho mids shine.

ive never tried a straight up tube amp with orthos though.

Mar 15, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #9 of 9
The HD800 is a significant investment in headphone gear. I'd recover that investment and put it elsewhere.  That phone has it's qualities I'm sure, but if you have another hp that you enjoy more and find yourself thinking about the HD800's shortcomings rather than enjoying the music while listening to them, then it seems clear that moving on is the thing to do.
    I went through a similar experience with the Denon D7000.  While it's a fantastic product that I enjoyed a lot, the fact is I'm not a great fan of closed designs and the money that was just sitting there not being enjoyed was a waste. I sold them and haven't regretted that decision at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back