Got a little listening time with the Triadaudio L3 w/Pics aka Lisa3 Lite
Mar 6, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #46 of 63
I just got an email from Brad (this one was sent to me specifically)  March preorder, Delivery with in 60 days (provided no surprises pop up)

Mar 8, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #47 of 63
To those of you who have tried the L3, would you think it's a worthwhile replacement to a desktop amp of similar price? Aren't you paying more for the portability or rather, transportabiltiy of the L3?

I'll need to do more research of the desktop amps in the price range of 600 to 700 bucks. I am looking at getting a portable amp and a desktop amp to pair with my Yulong D100. I figured I could hit two birds with one stone if I get a good portable amp to use as a desktop amp as well. My main concern is SQ over ease of portability. 

Thanks in advance.

Mar 8, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #48 of 63

Quote:
To those of you who have tried the L3, would you think it's a worthwhile replacement to a desktop amp of similar price? Aren't you paying more for the portability or rather, transportabiltiy of the L3?

I'll need to do more research of the desktop amps in the price range of 600 to 700 bucks. I am looking at getting a portable amp and a desktop amp to pair with my Yulong D100. I figured I could hit two birds with one stone if I get a good portable amp to use as a desktop amp as well. My main concern is SQ over ease of portability. 

Thanks in advance.

Love my Lisa but my Violectric V200 sounds better at around $800.

Mar 8, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #49 of 63
Now my question is.. How much better is it over the L3? is it marginal or a substantial difference?

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #50 of 63

Quote:
I'll need to do more research of the desktop amps in the price range of 600 to 700 bucks. I am looking at getting a portable amp and a desktop amp to pair with my Yulong D100. I figured I could hit two birds with one stone if I get a good portable amp to use as a desktop amp as well. My main concern is SQ over ease of portability

Based on your priority (bolding is mine) I have to suggest that you will almost certainly be getting more bang for your buck from a good home amp at that price. The big drawcard for Phil's amps (and I havent heard any of them so I can only go on what Skylab and others have written), is that you have a transportable amp that will give you great results off the grid.

The 'two birds with one stone' approach has its merits, but I have to ask if you would be happier with a $400 home amp and something from iBasso for portable use. There are so many players in the budget home amp category, most of whom could supply you with an amp for less than $500 - reviews can be found here and elsewhere:

Matrix M-Stage
Sheer Audio HA-006
Little Dot (take your pick ...)
KICAS (Caliente or 'standard' - I think they are still on sale)
Corda Swing
etc etc

I havent seen a direct comparison between the Lisa (or L3 or Lisa XP) with any of the above, but most are less than half the asking price. Your call.

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #51 of 63

Quote:
Now my question is.. How much better is it over the L3? is it marginal or a substantial difference?

I can hear the difference.  Substantial......maybe but it is noticeable to me when I a/b for sure.  They have their own sound sigs though, the Lisa may be a bit quieter but colder and the V200 is more full sounding(warm), a bit more dynamic and detailed.  

Mar 9, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #52 of 63
Thanks for the advice estreeter. I guess I'm going ahead with getting a seperate desktop amp and probably get a really portable amp like the rsa mustang for my mobile needs. That said, I would say the desktop amp will get used more during the day compared to the portable amp; my commute is a 15 minute bike ride on days when I feel like it :p

Thanks dallan, I'll definitely check it out and do some research on the Violectric V200. I'm looking at not so analytical sound, not harsh. mid centric would be nice and good PraT and bass response. I will mainly be using closed cans with MD5000 right now and probably Ed 8 later down the road. Thanks!

On a side note, the Burson HA 160D finally replaced my Nuforce HDP. I'm in audio nirvana.... and the hdp is on sale :p

Mar 9, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #53 of 63
If I were you, it is a easy decision, I'll get the Shiit Lyr.  At $449.00, it is a steal as a desktop amp, will drive anything you throw at it.  Great sound.  Cheaper than many portables. Then you can worry about the portable later.

Mar 9, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #54 of 63

Quote:
If I were you, it is a easy decision, I'll get the Shiit Lyr.  At $449.00, it is a steal as a desktop amp, will drive anything you throw at it.  Great sound.  Cheaper than many portables. Then you can worry about the portable later.

'many' portables ?

Mar 9, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #55 of 63
I'm a bit apprehensive about tube amps. I have not tried them at all. My knowledge of them is extremely limited, what I know is that the tubes have to be changed out from time to time, seems like a hassle and I easily listen to music anything from 8 to 14 hours a day so I'm not sure how that works out.

I think the seperate rig suggestion is definitely a better way to go. Who knows if the L3 is indeed a lot smaller ( I have measurements from Brad but I'd rather see it for myself), I might take a plunge and get it for my portable rig, although it's a lot of money for something that I don't use as much.

Jalo, as for the Lyr, I'll wait for a few reviews. I'm sure it will drive any headphones, even more so that I plan to only stick to closed cans due to my work environment and lack of a dedicated audio room at home. The missus enjoys playing her videos loud. My main concern is the sonic property for desktop amps, I prefer less analytical sounding amps. That said, I've only tried the HDP, Yulong D100 and Burson 160D and so far both the Yulong and Burson are keepers.

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #56 of 63
I think the sound quality out of the Lisa III is excellent, but it is somewhat underpowered.  Thus, the Matrix M-Stage that I have is generally more enjoyable to listen to because the sound is fuller and sounds more supported.  I have ordered a Firestone Power Supporter and expect it in a couple of days.  I'm thinking that with more than battery power the Lisa will sound better.  But overall I'd say that a relatively inexpensive desktop amp like the M-Stage is "better" than the Lisa III as a desktop amp, at least when operating solely on the internal power supply.  The quality is excellent but it is missing OOMPH.  Actually, it's a lot like a couple of the relatively inexpensive tube amps that I own  - the Little Dot Mark III and the Darkvoice 332.  I don't know about all tube amps, but these just don't put out the power of an SS amp and the power is what brings the headphones fully to life.  That's my feeling about the Lisa III also. 

Mar 16, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #57 of 63

Quote:
I think the sound quality out of the Lisa III is excellent, but it is somewhat underpowered.  Thus, the Matrix M-Stage that I have is generally more enjoyable to listen to because the sound is fuller and sounds more supported.  I have ordered a Firestone Power Supporter and expect it in a couple of days.  I'm thinking that with more than battery power the Lisa will sound better.  But overall I'd say that a relatively inexpensive desktop amp like the M-Stage is "better" than the Lisa III as a desktop amp, at least when operating solely on the internal power supply.  The quality is excellent but it is missing OOMPH.  Actually, it's a lot like a couple of the relatively inexpensive tube amps that I own  - the Little Dot Mark III and the Darkvoice 332.  I don't know about all tube amps, but these just don't put out the power of an SS amp and the power is what brings the headphones fully to life.  That's my feeling about the Lisa III also. 

Incredible - in all the time I have been on Head-Fi, yours is the first post that makes a direct comparison between the Lisa III and several 'entry level' fullsize amps. I started a thread asking for such comparisons about a month ago and got nothing in reply. I really hope people like GeorgeGoodman read this, although I would add that many of the proponents of the Lisa III strongly recommend that buyers factor in the cost of the optional PSU with their $600 portable amp.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back