Google's new browser, Chrome
Jun 2, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #181 of 207
I don’t know why Chrome got no response sometimes when I was trying to open a new tab. My system is Windows 7.

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #183 of 207
Thanks for the tips Milkweg, I’ll try them again when I back home. They are running pretty well with my XP laptop right now.

Jun 4, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #184 of 207
firefox has been annoying as of late with huge flash induced memory leaks and crashes. 1gig of ram... it was using 1 gig. sure I have 8 but still. Unacceptable.

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #186 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by ksween93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't wait for the mac version of chrome to be released. Looks like a great browser. I like the independent tab concept.

Yeah, and seems like the developers are aware of the demand. But it takes time...
At least Mike Pinkerton posted this on his blog yesterday.

Quote:

Browsers are hard, mmkay?

I'm getting a little weary of reading over and over and over about how "surprised" everyone is by how long it's taking for Mac Chrome to come out. Really folks, web browsers are complicated pieces of software that take a long time. They don't just fall from the sky, fully written. Camino took years (plural) of development before it got to 1.0, and that's with an already mature Gecko engine behind it.

We're lucky in Chromium that we can leverage a lot of shared code from the windows side, but we do have to write a bunch of UI code (unless you want the UI to just look and behave exactly like windows...I didn't think so). We're also not just embedding WebKit and dragging in a couple buttons and a text field. The team has made significant changes to how WebCore works (resource loading, sandboxing, multi-process, etc) and those take time to get right on other platforms.

So the next time you're about to blog about how long it takes to write a web browser, think about the 10+ years of development that's gone into the one you're currently using and just move along. Mmmkay?

Sucking less, on a budget: Browsers are hard, mmkay?

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #187 of 207
i am excited for the release on mac as well. i have used it briefly on vista and was impressed with its speed. firefox is a bloody hog now (not that i use it) and safari seems to be in and out of good releases.

i want something that just works. and works well.

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #189 of 207
I'm not having many problems with it at all in Windows 7 64bit RC

Jun 25, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #191 of 207
Check your chrome version Nonchalance, I'm on 2.0.172.33 running 64bit build 7100 as well.. though I don't spend much time on youtube. Intel CPU in case that matters.

I did run into an annoying issue but it's not really a big deal.. I had head-fi in my most visited list somehow duplicate so I removed one of them with the new feature (you can remove most visited sites now), I love using that in a new tab to get around but now that I removed the duplicate head-fi entry neither of them show up. So I guess I need to figure out how to "unblock" an entry from showing in most visited. Anyone know how to do that?
frown.gif

(edit) never mind, I figured it out.. just needed to click on "remove thumbnails" and there is an option to restore all removed thumbnails.

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #192 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
firefox has been annoying as of late with huge flash induced memory leaks and crashes. 1gig of ram... it was using 1 gig. sure I have 8 but still. Unacceptable.

I have FF open right now with 2 websites open and it is only using 90,096k. How many extensions do you have in FF? I have 5 but only 2 are always doing anything. Disable the Net Framework assistant that got installed into FF with a windows update recently.

Jun 25, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #193 of 207
oh the firefox update fixed those issues. I only use two extensions ubiquity and no script.

Jun 25, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #194 of 207
I quite stopped wanting Chrome for linux after I fully discovered the Vimperator add-on for Firefox. That won't do much but the very best magic -- if you happen to like vi or vim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back