Google Nexus 7 Tablet (Tegra 3)
Jul 5, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #31 of 98
Quote:

Have shipping dates been confirmed or something? Very excited if they are, just in time for a trip with university =D

Cheers, I'll check it out.

No, no shipping dates for official orders, I purchased an I/O one :)

Will try it with my E17 and E7 when it comes...

Jul 7, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #34 of 98
Quote:
Haha fair enough =P If you don't mind me asking how much did that set you back?

$389 I think, which actually means that the price including shipping only works out a little more expensive than it'll cost to buy one here. I paid the extra to get one early since that helps drive blog traffic to AndroidNZ.

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #37 of 98
It should be this week or next.

Hoping it isn't the worst in the world. I want one, but I am not going to waste my money if the audio is completely crap.

Ordering from South Africa makes things tough...

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #38 of 98
Quote:
It should be this week or next.

Hoping it isn't the worst in the world. I want one, but I am not going to waste my money if the audio is completely crap.

Ordering from South Africa makes things tough...

Why would you order a tablet with less than 16GB available for storage if you're mostly interested in audio performance? 
blink.gif

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #39 of 98
Quote:
Why would you order a tablet with less than 16GB available for storage if you're mostly interested in audio performance? 
blink.gif

Audio performance isn't what it will be mainly used for, but is a factor in if I buy always. I only need 8GB for the 8-10 cds I listen to at a time anyway.

The rest? BOOKS!!!!!!!

Reading + music is what I am planning to do. So while audio performance is not the main focus, having a horrible output is not exactly kosher either!

I don't need amazing audio, only decent. I have a nice speaker setup  for when I need to relax and a D4 mamba + GR07 for when I am not at home 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 so not looking for perfection, just mediocrity. Unfortunately the DAC seems to be on the crap side vs mediocre. SNR of 75db is just plain bad.

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #40 of 98
Jul 11, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #41 of 98
Quote:

I don't need amazing audio, only decent. I have a nice speaker setup  for when I need to relax and a D4 mamba + GR07 for when I am not at home 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 so not looking for perfection, just mediocrity. Unfortunately the DAC seems to be on the crap side vs mediocre. SNR of 75db is just plain bad.

USB out and streaming (whether from the cloud or a LAN based solution like squeezeplayer or upnp servers) seem to be the intended usage for this device... It seems though unlike tegra 2, nvidia didn't put much thought into the audio codec included in reference tegra 3 solutions, since while most tegra 2 devices had a wolfson DAC implemented, with Tegra 3 we get a poorly performing realtek chip.  No matter though as long as USB out will work, as I can't personally see myself going from the headphone out on this in 99% of my possible listening scenarios.

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #42 of 98
Quote:

USB out and streaming (whether from the cloud or a LAN based solution like squeezeplayer or upnp servers) seem to be the intended usage for this device... It seems though unlike tegra 2, nvidia didn't put much thought into the audio codec included in reference tegra 3 solutions, since while most tegra 2 devices had a wolfson DAC implemented, with Tegra 3 we get a poorly performing realtek chip.  No matter though as long as USB out will work, as I can't personally see myself going from the headphone out on this in 99% of my possible listening scenarios.

Though will the USB out work for standard DACs or will all new ones be required? If all new ones are required I hope at least they work with more than just Android.

The way Jellybean handles USB audio is worrying. It is a non-standard implementation. The device must act as the host.

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #43 of 98
according to a post on overclockers.uk the nexus 7's usb drivers will be able to operate in two modes: as a standard usb host and a usb client to powered host devices (the speaker dock implementation we saw last week).  Heres the post I'm talking about:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=22280886&postcount=724

I'm not sure if this information is even verified, but it would seem foolish for google to implement client only mode on the tablet; to do so would ensure that no peripherals at all will work on it, such as keyboards, mice, usb sticks, etc... not just audio.  So for the device not to have a traditional host mode would be foolish on their part, but who knows.  I'm betting that USB audio support will be just fine.

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #44 of 98
From Google's own developer page:

"AOA 2.0 includes optional support for audio output from an Android device to an accessory. This version of the protocol supports a standard USB audio class interface that is capable of 2 channel 16-bit PCM audio with a bit rate of 44100 Khz. AOA 2.0 is currently limited to this output mode, but additional audio modes may be added in the future."

http://developer.android.com/tools/adk/aoa2.html#audio-support

so it looks like 16/44 is where its at for android, so hopefully most devices will work.

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #45 of 98
Host mode is definitely supported. It has been since 4.0. The drivers for the different devices aren't all implemented though

USB audio on the other hand has just been implemented. Now while it might make sense to have both modes available, Google might want Android only devices, like Apple, to create "lock in" into their ecosystem.

Here's hoping that Google has kept their motto on this one.

Back on the nexus 7 itself, I wonder how much the implementation of the DAC will make a difference? Looking at the international One X and the Optimus 4x HD, the numbers are definitely different.
I am sure that the chip is most probably rated at 90dB, I haven't seen one that isn't in a loong time!
Of course a spec sheet would be a better thing, but I can't find one for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back