Google Nexus 7 Tablet (Tegra 3)
Jun 29, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #16 of 98
Quote:
Agree on the services-oriented strategy for cloud storage by vendors like Google.

That said, I've uploaded hundreds of albums to Google Music in lossless flac format and, while far from a perfect solution, it has been fantastic to be able to access my music from anywhere with wifi with cd quality.  And <currently> free.

-j

I got all excited about this until i found it wasn't available in the UK :\ Is there any alternative service for streaming lossless audio to an Android device, even if it's just from a computer on the same wifi network? I'd love to be able to access my external hard drive's music/vieo from my desktop while I'm at the other end of the house.

Jun 29, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #18 of 98
Quote:
I've uploaded hundreds of albums to Google Music in lossless flac format and, while far from a perfect solution, it has been fantastic to be able to access my music from anywhere with wifi with cd quality.  And <currently> free.

Bandwidth (esp. 3/4G) is not even close to free even if the cloud service is.

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #23 of 98
  1. Kingston KE44B-26BN/8GB 8GB flash
  2. RMC ALCS642
  3. ELAN eKTF36248WS
  4. ELAN eKTH10368WS
  5. Texas Instruments 22C96ST
  6. TI20 MI60
  7. Hynix HTC2G83CFR DDR3 RAM
  1. NVIDIA T30L Tegra 3 processor
  2. Hynix HTC2G83CFR DDR3 RAM
  3. Max 77612A inverting switching regulator
  4. AzureWave AW-NH665 wireless module
  5. Broadcom BCM4751 integrated monolithic GPS receiver
  6. NXP 65N04
  7. Invensense MPU-6050 gyro and accelerometer

ifix it just did a tear down. Here are the chips.

Jul 3, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #24 of 98
I believe the realtek is the same DAC used in all reference tegra 3 designs.  Judging by the complaints of transformer prime owners (when I was still interested in that particular tablet) the realtek isn't great.  However, usb audio out should mitigate that factor completely.

Jul 3, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #25 of 98
Quote:
Agree on the services-oriented strategy for cloud storage by vendors like Google.

That said, I've uploaded hundreds of albums to Google Music in lossless flac format and, while far from a perfect solution, it has been fantastic to be able to access my music from anywhere with wifi with cd quality.  And <currently> free.

-j

When it is uploaded, it is compressed to a 320kbps mp3, as demonstrated when you redownload the the track via the tool or straight from the site.
Quote:

I got all excited about this until i found it wasn't available in the UK :\ Is there any alternative service for streaming lossless audio to an Android device, even if it's just from a computer on the same wifi network? I'd love to be able to access my external hard drive's music/vieo from my desktop while I'm at the other end of the house.

I think this may be exactly what you're looking for.  Main site: http://www.audiogalaxy.com/  Google play link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.audiogalaxy&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5hdWRpb2dhbGF4eSJd

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #26 of 98
I ordered mine earlier before heading off to work for $245 with 2 day shipping on the 16gb model.
I checked the Google Play store and there is a foobar2000 listed on there so hopefully I can use flac files and just carry around a USB thumb drive or HD for more storage when traveling.

No info on the Audio but here is some Hardware specs and benchmarks from Anandtech
 http://www.anandtech.com/show/6054/google-nexus-7-mini-review

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #27 of 98
I use a Seagate GoFlex Satellite for streaming to my phones, works well with Android and Bubble UnPNP.

Should have my Nexus 7 early next week :)

Jul 5, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #28 of 98
Quote:
Should have my Nexus 7 early next week :)

Have shipping dates been confirmed or something? Very excited if they are, just in time for a trip with university =D

Quote:

Cheers, I'll check it out.

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #30 of 98
Quote:
Jelly Bean is supporting USB audio. http://developer.android.com/about/versions/jelly-bean.html

However there is quite a bit of uncertainty if it will work with standard DACs if you read this
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24614&sort=-stars&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars

I think the main issue is going to be inconsistency between different devices and what works with what, whether due to standard/non standard usb stacks or just general power issues to the usb port.  Just like how the e17 is at the moment incompatible with the samsung galaxy s3 but works fine with the Archos g9 due to the diffferent usb audio stack (samsung vs archos).  If bluetooth on android is any indication, a "vanilla" build like the nexus 7 should have the widest compatibility of all.  It should be interesting to see what happens though when developers start to port these usb drivers for older devices and work them into kernel patches.  Wouldn't mind squeezing a bit more life out of my galaxy s2!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back