Google Nexus 7 Tablet (Tegra 3)
Jun 27, 2012 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 98

openwheelracing

New Head-Fier
Hi I'd like to start a discussion about this device. Specifically the headphone out quality. Has anyone tried similar Tegra 3 devices? Will this device provide good sound quality with good DAC? Let's talk!!!

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/27/nexus-7-tablet-hands-on/

Jun 27, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 98
I'm hoping more that it can be used as a USB host for external DACs straight out the box, this will be my first Android device so I'd like for that functionality to be there without having to mess with the software too much. Fingers crossed Jellybean allows that!

Has anyone seen anything definitive regarding expandable memory? I'm guessing it doesn't have it given the different memory sizes though. I'll have to cross my toes for that one since my fingers are taken haha.

But yeah, it does look like an awesome device for the price, will be interesting to see how it delivers on the audio front. I'll be picking one up either way, nice to see the UK not getting gimped on the exchange rates for change.

Jun 27, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #3 of 98
Nothing listed anywhere about an SD or MicroSD slot, so yeah, probably nothing.  Kind of a deal killer for me.  Google Play is nice and all, but if you have to be locked down to a wifi spot, who cares how many songs you can load to the service (I've already surpassed the 20k mark, kind of annoying) if you can't listen to it?  Also, why only one weak piece camera?  Well I guess that has to do with the $200 price tag...

Still no one has made a tablet that I want to buy, my wallet thanks you, google, for aiming low.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 98
I doubt it will have USB audio, that is not supported on stock yet by Android (although slim possibity JB adds it). Furthermore, Supercurio's 'software' tear-down doesn't reveal the presence of USB audio drivers. It does however suggest that the DAC isn't looking great.

Jun 28, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #7 of 98
Quote:
I doubt it will have USB audio, that is not supported on stock yet by Android (although slim possibity JB adds it). Furthermore, Supercurio's 'software' tear-down doesn't reveal the presence of USB audio drivers. It does however suggest that the DAC isn't looking great.

Happily I may well be wrong, since the JB release notes indicate USB audio support!

Jun 28, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #8 of 98
Pre-ordered mine last night, and stuck my Cowon J3 on ebay (with some Monster Turbines) to help pay for it.

I'm hoping the audio out will be good, and while the storage is just idiotic on Google's part, I will reluctantly live with it.

Jun 28, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #10 of 98
Jun 28, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #11 of 98
Cloud storage is an industry tactic to reinforce what they would like you to think of as the necessity for a mobile broadband connection - which costs money every month. I will never convert to cloud storage, it has absolutely zero benefits. Anywhere I would download something from the cloud, I am taking my phone with me anyways, which has a micro SD, which is easier to shell out for once than pay for forever.

I will probably jump on this though, I will get the 8GB model because I will mostly use it for convenient web browsing on the go. This is basically the tablet I have been waiting for.
Quote:
Google Music. Everything is on the cloud nowadays.

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #13 of 98
For me the best usage of a 7 (or 7.7, 7.8) inch tablet is for travel. Traveling from LA to DC is already gruesome, let along those over sea flights. I can't access cloud content on an airplane (without losing a kidney) so I need large amount of storage. Someone like me who is extremely anal about audio quality, only carry flac files. My movie files are at least 4gig per movie. I would buy this in a heartbeat if they had included microSD. Perhaps I need to compromise with more compression, but I refuse LOL. On a 1280x800 IPS screen, I don't want to sacrifice by watching anything below 720p anyway.

There are real solutions though. I can consolidate all the movies on the tablet, and keep all my music on a phone (like Galaxy S with voodoo)....... However, those leaves only 1 movie on the 8gig tab, and 2-3 movies on the 16gig.  Seriously cutting it very close.

Storage aside, I am still more interested in finding out the headphone out quality. Based on supercurio's software tear-down, it's not looking good.

Jun 29, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #15 of 98
Agree on the services-oriented strategy for cloud storage by vendors like Google.

That said, I've uploaded hundreds of albums to Google Music in lossless flac format and, while far from a perfect solution, it has been fantastic to be able to access my music from anywhere with wifi with cd quality.  And <currently> free.

-j

Users who are viewing this thread

Back