Goodbye headphones/IEMs....Speakers here i come !
May 11, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #31 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by tensaichen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find AVSforum very helpful for various audio application other than HPs. You may find what you're looking for there.

and Congratz on the speaker purchase.

THanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I will lurk around on the website
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good luck with your new foray into speaker territory!!
I think I'm going to take your advice on the avoidance of speakers since i I can't afford any on a student's budget
rolleyes.gif

THanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Stay away from them for now. Try it when you start working
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #32 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Love my speakers, both sets, but they are in storage and I don't live where I can use them anyway. I can't even use open phones most of the time so at least there is high quality closed phones to try and trick my brain.

Have fun on your new journey.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Which speakers you are using ?

May 11, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #33 of 59
SonicDawg;4195401 said:
And I have heard some great speakers to come to the conclusion that there are things that headphones can outdo speakers and vice versa. They should not be mutually exclusive.
QUOTE]

Agreed. Just that i prefer speakers, gave me better imaging
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #34 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbird1927 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Which speakers you are using ?

I am not using any right now. I have some Klipsch chorus speakers, the first version, highly modified that are pure heaven. they sound between an electrostatic and dynamic speaker. I have some other hybrids that are also very excellent but all my beautiful stuff is stored and I have no idea when I will see it.

May 11, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #35 of 59
GG went to my uncle's house, speakers with gold components. He has stuff that I never knew he had, like cd players that rest on magnet cushions. CRAZY! I'm going to see if I can buy his AKG 701s =D

Yeah man, apparently lil critters love speakers, nice airy spaces to live that is warm from usage.

If you do get a room, then my god, let us come over and get a listen. Maybe host canjam near your house and people can get a map and visit for a listen? =D

I don't know much about speakers, but man they look like a ton of work and money.

May 11, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #36 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not using any right now. I have some Klipsch chorus speakers, the first version, highly modified that are pure heaven. they sound between an electrostatic and dynamic speaker. I have some other hybrids that are also very excellent but all my beautiful stuff is stored and I have no idea when I will see it.

I enjoy my music so much more on speakers.
Why are you not listening to them
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

May 11, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #37 of 59
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by funniecow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GG went to my uncle's house, speakers with gold components. He has stuff that I never knew he had, like cd players that rest on magnet cushions. CRAZY! I'm going to see if I can buy his AKG 701s =D

Yeah man, apparently lil critters love speakers, nice airy spaces to live that is warm from usage.

If you do get a room, then my god, let us come over and get a listen. Maybe host canjam near your house and people can get a map and visit for a listen? =D

I don't know much about speakers, but man they look like a ton of work and money.

Room ? dont think thats gonna happen for at least a year or 2
frown.gif

But for sure i will get you guys to come around if i do setup a room. We can have headphones + speakers audition
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I am new to speakers too and oh yes they are drainning my wallet
frown.gif

May 11, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #38 of 59
Yeah right, speakers are great. No doubt. Used to have serious VAF setup.

Until I got 3 council notices for disturbing neighborhood. Sold them speakers and amps, got into headphones and I'm not looking back.

Cheers,

Lad

May 11, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #39 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lad27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah right, speakers are great. No doubt. Used to have serious VAF setup.

Until I got 3 council notices for disturbing neighborhood. Sold them speakers and amps, got into headphones and I'm not looking back.

Cheers,

Lad

You joking??
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
3 council notices
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

You must be playing it really loud back then
biggrin.gif

I tried the VAF- 91, really good speakers, especially for Live music.
But i reckon it can be too bright in some recordings, Dynaudio is much smoother and good for all kind of music.
Well, lets hope i dont get any council notice
tongue.gif

May 11, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #40 of 59
Quote:

Well, lets hope i dont get any council notice
tongue.gif

You shouldn't unless you play Messugah at 1am in the morning (which is what I did) and your neighbor is fond of playing Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell and some Celine Dion Titanic crap thru his plastic Sanyo (or whatewer) speaker whole day.

May 11, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #41 of 59
I've been into speaker system for over 2 decade and switched to earphones 2 yrs ago due to domestic circumstances. I went back to spk system again as they're not the same thing; now both co-exist hand in hand.

Here are some unsolicited advices. As it's a lot more expensive switching speakers, try to stay with easy to drive classics instead of flavour of the month models/brands. Used models are also easier to swallow if you make mistakes. Home audition is also critical as the same spk will sound dif in dif room environment.

Also beware of spk that sounds sensational within seconds - these will likely to tired you out pretty fast.

May 11, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #42 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by golgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a great speaker system but still listen to my headphones often. I would recommend keeping your fave phones and amp around even if you get a speaker system.

Haven't read the rest of the posts - this is it right here.

I like both - listening to good speakers driven by good equipment is bliss. Having a great sub to go with it to provide that extra pulse (SVS PB13 Ultra here
biggrin.gif
) can't be beat by any headphone.

That being said - $ for $, there's no way you can get the depth, soul, and separation that a great pair of can's can offer as opposed to speakers. You can get that same sound from speakers, but you need to add at least one if not two zero's to the back of your headphone expense to match.

As another OP mentioned, with a wife (and I only have 1 child) you don't get a lot of chance to listen to music as it is anyway.

My favorite is to plug my Grado RS2's into my LK MKIV SE amp after everyone is in bed, crank the tunes and listen to anything I want without being told to turn it down or change the music.

Bottom line is both offer amazing advantages, and I like having both options available to me.

OP - why did it take you so long to discover speakers?

May 11, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #43 of 59
Quote:

The good thing is i am still keeping my RWA iMod as my source, that saves me $1000-$2000

prediction: that won't last. Pretty soon you'll just "try" a decent dac up against it, and then it's a slippery slope.

Quote:

Agreed. Just that i prefer speakers, gave me better imaging
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, but your IEMs and Grados are far from delivering what headphones can do in terms of imaging. Try a Lambda and get back to us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have two sets of very nice speakers, but I just don't get that much enjoyment out of listening to music on them. It's 'phones all the way for me.

Now I'll go the other way. I also have an SR-Lambda, and if I had your Ohm Walsh 2 as well, I think my Lambdas would get significantly less use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back