Goodbye headphones/IEMs....Speakers here i come !
May 11, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #46 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lad27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You shouldn't unless you play Messugah at 1am in the morning (which is what I did) and your neighbor is fond of playing Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell and some Celine Dion Titanic crap thru his plastic Sanyo (or whatewer) speaker whole day.

Hahahaha....
biggrin.gif

I think i will be alright then
tongue.gif

May 11, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #47 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been into speaker system for over 2 decade and switched to earphones 2 yrs ago due to domestic circumstances. I went back to spk system again as they're not the same thing; now both co-exist hand in hand.

Here are some unsolicited advices. As it's a lot more expensive switching speakers, try to stay with easy to drive classics instead of flavour of the month models/brands. Used models are also easier to swallow if you make mistakes. Home audition is also critical as the same spk will sound dif in dif room environment.

Also beware of spk that sounds sensational within seconds - these will likely to tired you out pretty fast.

I do agreed with getting used speakers. But its just hard to find in Australia.
I know room acoustic plays an important role, but there is nothing you can do about it until you bring it back home and try. Too bad not all shops offer "30 days money back warranty"
tongue.gif

I heard the VAF 91 speakers (Ausralian owned), it sounds so good when i 1st heard it, i was like
eek.gif

Then the second visit, followed by the 3rd visit.....i finally concluded that i cannot take the sound. Very fatiguing ..
Where as for Dynaudio...the more you listen to them, the more you are in love with them
smily_headphones1.gif
The highs and mids are so SMOOTH......

May 11, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #48 of 59
Quote:

Now I'll go the other way. I also have an SR-Lambda, and if I had your Ohm Walsh 2 as well, I think my Lambdas would get significantly less use.

Well, don't get me wrong, I love my Ohms, they sound awesome and expansive, but they don't really suit my music listening needs or style very well.

Plus, I've come to associate the sound of music in my head with a feeling of calm and comfort; it would be difficult to transition back to speakers.

However, I always use speakers for games and movies. They're just better that way.

May 11, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #49 of 59
For speaker stuff, check out audio karma. I was a sponsor to their version of canjam....I'm introducing a 2.1 audiophile "computer" setup. Sounds and looks amazing..

They made their debut at that show...

Great bunch of people!!

May 11, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #50 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
prediction: that won't last. Pretty soon you'll just "try" a decent dac up against it, and then it's a slippery slope.

Lets hope those days wont be that soon....my wallet needs time to recover.

Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but your IEMs and Grados are far from delivering what headphones can do in terms of imaging. Try a Lambda and get back to us.

You might be right. Never tried Lambda before and never will. But i am actually quite glad i didnt try anything beyond Grado GS1000.
The things i learned from the past, never try those thing that is out of your budget
cool.gif

Anyway, back to the topic. I still disagree that headphones can give better imaging than speakers.

May 11, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #51 of 59
Here's a pic of Focus 110. Grabbed it from one of the forum
tongue.gif

Haven't got time to take pics for mine

2483352100_713b336ee5_o.jpg

Aren't they pretty
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #52 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbird1927 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a pic of Focus 110. Grabbed it from one of the forum
tongue.gif

Haven't got time to take pics for mine

Aren't they pretty
biggrin.gif

sweeeeeeet. how much did they set you back by?

May 11, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #54 of 59
Its Dynaudio, worth the price
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #55 of 59
ive always loved speakers, like you say theres nothing like the power and pure depth and texture you get from good speakers.

theres one downside tho, for a pair that sounds as good as some high end cans (talking about pure accuracy and detail) you are paying serious cash on the speakers alone then its about getting a system to drive the badboys properly and to the full potential, awwww talk about sorry about your wallet!
tongue.gif

but as has been mentioned in this thread, most of us will listen to speakers as well as headphones, something tells me you wont be saying a proper goodbye to your cans just yet
wink.gif
enjoy!

May 12, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #56 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbird1927 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer speakers too
smily_headphones1.gif

As i mentioned before, i will still hang around here for sure. This is like my home, where i "grew up"
biggrin.gif

You really have to try the Dynaudio ! Contour range is amazing but the price is
eek.gif

At the moment Focus 110 is the best which is still within my price range. And Focus 110 sounds really good ! I compared it with B&W with the same price range, prefer Dyns. They are really neutral. you will enjoy everything that is coming out from these speakers
smily_headphones1.gif

TRY IT !!

Il try and compare them at a meet over here in the UK off another forum to my ATCs. But I doubt they will be as revealing as these things, a bad recording sounds bad but the better recordings just sound sensational !

Im quite happy with speakers and headphones, both have a place in my life like yours do, and I don't intend to go mad with either setup, my wallet must buldge in a few years so I can afford a house
tongue.gif

May 12, 2008 at 9:22 AM Post #57 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by adfinni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Il try and compare them at a meet over here in the UK off another forum to my ATCs. But I doubt they will be as revealing as these things, a bad recording sounds bad but the better recordings just sound sensational !

Im quite happy with speakers and headphones, both have a place in my life like yours do, and I don't intend to go mad with either setup, my wallet must buldge in a few years so I can afford a house
tongue.gif

Dynaudio Focus 110s are a much more forgiving speaker than the ATC's, in fact i find them more forgiving than Spendor without sounding boring.They are a pretty good all round speaker but where they excel is at rock,dance or pretty much anything upbeat.They need plenty of room around them too, well out from rear and side walls to get the best out of them.
To sound their best they need plenty of power too which can often mean buying an amp costing twice the price of the Focus 110s
eek.gif
.I ran them with an 75 watt Exposure Amp and they sounded OK i actually ended up selling them as i thought the Dyns just didn't sound right to me.I went Neat,Proac,Spendor but none suited.Then i was using an AVI labs series and i tried out the Dyns again and Voila! magic, so your talking 325 watts into 4 ohms to make them sing.Heavy stands are also essential.
I think if you like ATC's you won't like Dynaudios.

May 12, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #58 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by adfinni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
........and I don't intend to go mad with either setup, my wallet must buldge in a few years so I can afford a house
tongue.gif

Smart....need to learn from you more
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back