Good yet TINY portable amp
Apr 22, 2013 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Luv My BASS 1

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All
I currently use a fiio E6 through a lod to my iphone 5 with my M100s. I want to upgrade my amp, but i don't want to add much size, as the E6+iPhone 5 with Otterbox case is already a challenge to fit in my jeans pocket. budget is firmly $400. Any suggestions?

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #2 of 14
Apr 22, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
Headstage Arrow 4G    
 3.86'' x 2.20"x 0.33" http://www.headstage.com/The-Arrow-Amp/Headstage-Arrow-4T::10144.html

Pico slim        [size=x-small]3.15"  x 1.55"  x 0.37" - [/size]http://www.headamp.com/pico/pico_slim_amp/

Leckerton uha4  3.3″ x 2.75″ x 0.47″ http://www.leckertonaudio.com/products/uha-4/

To upgrade I think you will have to go bigger but the Pico Slim might be small enough?

Thanks man, what's your favorite of all three, and what one do you think pairs best with the M100?

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #4 of 14
Ultra portables are as follow:

Pico Slim
RSA Shadow
Ibasso T series (T3,T3D, T5)

All of them are Pretty Tiny....

I have owned all 3.... just sold my shadow yesterday.  Have a Pico slim and the T3 was stolen.

RSA shadow - great amp, digital volume control.... great build quality.  Slightly Warm which pairs well with colder gear. Adds just a little big of body to the music...a little more full.  Battery life was great....more musical

Pico Slim - a bit on the cold side.... made things a more quick... decay was a little shorter.  didnt add as much body as the shadow but drives things really well....not as musical but better for crital listening.

T3- pretty neutral.... slightly more analytical than the other two.  performs well for the price....but definitely a couple steps down compared to the slim or shadow.

UHA4 - great amp, kind of like a mini alo rx or headstage arrow.... analytical, cold, quick.... has a dac so thats a plus but had a funky size....its wider than most amps and a lot shorter.  it was more squarish than rectangle.... if it was more narrow and a little longer....it would be a very hard amp to beat for its price.

Apr 22, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
Ultra portables are as follow:

Pico Slim
RSA Shadow
Ibasso T series (T3,T3D, T5)

All of them are Pretty Tiny....

I have owned all 3.... just sold my shadow yesterday.  Have a Pico slim and the T3 was stolen.

RSA shadow - great amp, digital volume control.... great build quality.  Slightly Warm which pairs well with colder gear. Adds just a little big of body to the music...a little more full.  Battery life was great....more musical

Pico Slim - a bit on the cold side.... made things a more quick... decay was a little shorter.  didnt add as much body as the shadow but drives things really well....not as musical but better for crital listening.

T3- pretty neutral.... slightly more analytical than the other two.  performs well for the price....but definitely a couple steps down compared to the slim or shadow.

UHA4 - great amp, kind of like a mini alo rx or headstage arrow.... analytical, cold, quick.... has a dac so thats a plus but had a funky size....its wider than most amps and a lot shorter.  it was more squarish than rectangle.... if it was more narrow and a little longer....it would be a very hard amp to beat for its price.

I actually found a GoDap X Burr Brown (clone of Vamp Verza) for $425 and jumped on it. While it may not be as small as I had hoped, it can still be stuck to the back of my iPhone with the metallo case, and I have heard it sounds very nice. time to wait the several weeks for shipping from Japan...

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #9 of 14
Apr 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
I know that this might sound like a stupid question, but does it still function as a lighter?

popcorn.gif

Apr 23, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #12 of 14
I'm gonna put in another vote for the Headstage Arrow, I've got one attached to the back of my iphone.  It has a very small form factor and it sounds great for on the go.

Apr 28, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #14 of 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back