Good stereo-to-mono switch headphones?
Jul 10, 2012 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Droppedin

Head-Fier
[size=small]I was born with type IV microtia (anotia and atresia). Basically I have no ear lobe or canal on my right side and deaf in my right ear.  I love good quality audio equipment and sound. Always have had component stereos in my car and in my  home but have never bother with headphones because I would only utilize one side. Until, I tried my friends HD650s and loved them.  I started reading up on headphones (so much info) and really are appreciating them.  I am thinking something entry level like ATH-M50's. What is a great pair of entry level around the ear headphones with a stereo to mono switch?[/size]

Jul 10, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 9
Look up the Koss DJ100. Wonderful headphone with a mono/stereo switch built in on the right hand driver housing.

Jul 10, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 9
Hey, forgive me if this is a stupid question, but wouldn't it be better to have an adapter made that will mix the right channel into the left?  Then you could enjoy any headphones you like, regardless of whether it has a mono switch or not.

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 9
I have a similar problem. Lost all usable hearing in the right ear about a year and a half ago. Started a thread "Single Headphone" back on June 8, 2012. Got several replies with suggestions of cans from several manufacturers. (I would post a link, but have never figured out how? You can do a search.) I decided to mod a pair of Fostex T50rp's using some of the methods suggested in the long running thread here. I had an ancient Carver C-1 preamp/headphone amp on hand with a stereo/mono switch built in, so decided to use it to be able to use any headphones. Also, have been able to solder up a very simple stereo to mono converter using a couple of dollars worth of parts using a circuit found online. I was interested in the Beyerdynamic DT-252 initially since it has only one earcup, however, it was out of stock with my usual suppliers. I find an earcup on the deaf ear somewhat annoying. I also use a ScanSound single in-ear headphone which has built in circuitry to convert stereo to mono. It is pretty good for speech (TV watching) but not so good for music listening. Good luck in your search! Vic
Added link:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/613593/single-headphone#post_8448985

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 9
akh k181dj has a stereo to mono switch as well IIRC. although not sure if they sound good

Jul 11, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
I have a similar problem. Lost all usable hearing in the right ear about a year and a half ago. Started a thread "Single Headphone" back on June 8, 2012. Got several replies with suggestions of cans from several manufacturers. (I would post a link, but have never figured out how? You can do a search.) I decided to mod a pair of Fostex T50rp's using some of the methods suggested in the long running thread here. I had an ancient Carver C-1 preamp/headphone amp on hand with a stereo/mono switch built in, so decided to use it to be able to use any headphones. Also, have been able to solder up a very simple stereo to mono converter using a couple of dollars worth of parts using a circuit found online. I was interested in the Beyerdynamic DT-252 initially since it has only one earcup, however, it was out of stock with my usual suppliers. I find an earcup on the deaf ear somewhat annoying. I also use a ScanSound single in-ear headphone which has built in circuitry to convert stereo to mono. It is pretty good for speech (TV watching) but not so good for music listening. Good luck in your search! Vic

I have used ScanSound products in the past, the products were ok but I was looking forr a step up. I will try to find that thread too.

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

I just got these delivered to my house today, so far they seem great for $50. Same headphones as the DJ200's right?

Only difference is 200's have iphone controls I believe. Tony Bennetts have a removable cord. The internals I believe are all the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back