Good soundtracks
Sep 7, 2002 at 3:50 PM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Vertigo-1 said...

Just picked up the soundtrack for Legends of the Fall by James Horner today (along with a load of other CDs...). Sounds very nice. Recommended.

Oddly enough, I was just listening to some samples of that last night. Sounded very good, as I would expect from James Horner. It's going on my to-buy list.
Quote:

mkyy said...

Maybe I suggest to you "Animage Best Symphony" by Jou Hisaishi which is a collection of theme songs of the anime by Hayao Miyazaki.

That would be a good introduction for people unfamiliar w/ his music (which in a perfect world would be nobody). Good recommendation.

Sep 9, 2002 at 8:26 PM Post #32 of 46
I really like....

"Any Which Way But Loose" - The Soundtrack to the movie of the same name with Clint Eastwood and Clyde. No really
biggrin.gif
I have this on Vinyl and it has some great stuff on it. Behind Closed Doors by Charlie Rich is just great.

Lord Of The Rings - The Fellowship of the Rings is good. As is the Gladiator Sountrack.

Perhaps not really what you're looking but still good in it own way is the OST to O' Brother Where Art Thou.

Dead Man Walking - Very heavy going but some great stuff on here - Ry Cooder / Tom Waits / Suzanne Vega / Michelle Shocked.

Pat Garret & Billy The Kid - Bob Dylan.

Metropolis - Georgio Moroder and others. A classic rock soundtrack with the likes of Freddie Mercury, Pat Benetar, Cheap Trick et al.

Sound As Ever.

Sep 10, 2002 at 9:39 AM Post #33 of 46
Have you ever tried "Amelie" soundtrack? I think it would be very good for backgroud music and it does sound foreign (French composer, multi-instrumentalist)

There is a discussion about movie/soundtrack here. In any case there will be a tracklist that you can hear some sample.

Sep 13, 2002 at 6:00 AM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
"Dusk 'Til Dawn"
evil_smiley.gif

OMG, I deliberately left that one off my list, because it has some tracks that suck so bad. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love Graeme Revell (anyone remember SPK? ever wonder what happened to them? one of them went into the soundtrack biz), but some of those tracks that were playing in the background on the radio that made it onto the soundtrack were just HORRID!

Sep 17, 2002 at 3:03 AM Post #38 of 46
"Brokedown Palace".

AKG 501's need not apply. Thank God for the Clou 580's.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2002 at 1:20 AM Post #40 of 46
For me they are:

Ennio Morricone - Nove Cento.
Ennio Morricone - Once upon a time in the west.
Ry Cooder - Paris Texas.
Ry Cooder - Crossroads.
Eric Clapton - Rush.
Soundtrack of the film Platoon.
Klaus Doldinger - Das Boot.

Peter.

Oct 4, 2002 at 2:34 AM Post #41 of 46
Did my usual Tower Records run today. The soundtrack for Spirited Away is out, go get it! Hint: It's a Joe Hisaishi work, and totally sounds it.

Oct 4, 2002 at 2:01 PM Post #42 of 46
Ry Cooder has been mentioned before and I guess "Paris Texas" was the first soundtrack album I ever bought. It's beautiful. Its mood (and that of the film) is somewhat similar to that of Bob Dylan's "Pat Garret and Billy the Kid", by the way.

I don't know whether this really qualifies as a soundtrack album, since the film is a documentary about Cuban music, but how about "Buena Vista Social Club" produced by Ry Cooder? If this music doesn't get one dancing, nothing will.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2002 at 5:00 PM Post #43 of 46
Recent:

Slither (Jake Mandrell)
Angels of the Universe
Englaborn (Johann Johhannson)
Ganz Graf (Autechre)
In the Mood for Love

(both Slither and Ganz Graf were composed electronically in Dolby 5.1)

Old:

Ran (Takemitsu -- might be the best original soundtrack ever written)
Alexander Nevsky (Prokofiev)
Jack Johnson (Miles Davis)
St. Louis (Billie Holiday/Louis Armstrong -- DVD also has (previously) rare performances by Armstrong and a short film featuring B.H.: Ellington's Symphony in Black)
The Gambler (Shostakovich)
The Shining (Kubrick version)
Stalker
22 Short Films about Glenn Gould
Joan of Arc (Carl Dreyer -- new score by Richard Einhorn)
A Zed and Two Noughts
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (proto-industrial)

Utter Fun:

Danger Diabolik (Morricone's ludicrous best!)
The Great Silence (Morricone's serious best!)
Gli Occhi Freddi Della Paura (Morricone)
Comandamenti Per Un Gangster (Morricone)
The Nude Countess
The Case of the Bloody Iris
Vampyros Lesbos
Los Neuroticos, a.k.a, The Doctor is "In"
Suspiria (The Goblins)
Four Flies on Grey Velvet
Forbidden Planet
The Man With the Golden Arm (50s sleazedrama fun)

(I remember liking Ghost in the Shell but couldn't vouch for it now)

Oct 4, 2002 at 10:00 PM Post #45 of 46
Last of the Mohicans

Great movie, better soundtrack. If you haven't seen the movie yet, see it. The musical score is so moving, especially during the climax of the movie.

I highly recommend to anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back