Good songs to test bass on headphones?
Feb 28, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #136 of 265
i don't listen to rap or dubstep or anything, but when i want to test the response and texture of bass on new headphones, i usually go straight to ayreon's "dream sequencer" album, it's got tons of deep, heavy synth that can be almost overwhelming.

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #138 of 265
My favorite track to test bass is "The Trick is to Keep Breathing" by Garbage. It doesn't have a ton of bass, but the chorus has some extremely deep, subtle, sub-bass in the background. The song helps to separate out the headphones that actually have good extension and impact from the ones that just have a mid-bass hump.

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #140 of 265
Test yo basshead cans with this...be warned, rumbles yo brain!

Cheers,
TBB

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #144 of 265
A lot of these recommended tracks just have loud bass not deep bass. Deep bass (sub 50Hz) comes from big instrument like church organ, big field drum, canons etc. My test track is the Gladiator soundtrack. When it is playing the speakers are pushing so much air, it feels like a fan is blowing. The key to this test is not just listening for the bass, but to listen to see if the bass screwed the other instruments. This is a very busy album.

For extreme testing, I would recommend Telarc's two offering; Frederick Fennel's Cleveland Symphony Winds and Eric Kunzel's 1812 overture. Most equipment cannot handle these. When they first came out there is a warning on the album; this album might damage your equipment. There is a large field drum in Cleveland Wind and a Cannon in 1812 overture. The dynamic range is so large that at average listening level, when the bass kicked in , it literally shakes glasses off the shelf. I would recommend start at a very low volume and increase it when you are comfortable with it. Be careful, for it might damage your hearing.

For those of you that are not familiar with low bass, the bass on a LP goes wider than normal tracks. The bass track on these LP are at least a couple of mm.  Most phono cartridges cannot handle them and will just fly off. I've seen it happened.

Mar 4, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #145 of 265
No real deep bass on this jazzy funky track, but i reckon it's quite a good test for bass control/tightness. Too loose and it sounds like one lumpy bass note.

George Duke: 500 Miles To Go. (obviously, not so good via Youtube's low-fi sound.)

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #147 of 265
Gimme that punk by audio bullies. Buyou-kerry hilson. Ghost and stuff-deadmau5. Live my life- far east movement ft. Justin bieber and LMAO is a very great song because it has very differencial bass thumps. Iam not a audiophile or professional but i think only bass testing is not enough for proper sound testing for earphone.... U should listen to every genre just like rock, punkrock, pop, metal. More bass would always dominate th mids and highs of any song dats why u should try at least m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back