Good songs to test bass on headphones?
Jul 15, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #77 of 265
Dead Prez - Hip Hop

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #78 of 265
Not all youtube songs are horrible. Those uploaded by Vevo/fueledbyramen or other labels are actually quite good.

Looking for a song to test the bass on my HD438s. bump. 

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #79 of 265
Late Night Tip from Three6Mafia and Paradox by Hans Zimmer are two that I use to test low bass extension on cans.  Might give them a try.  A song I use to test mid-bass-- such as kick drum impact, would be Rage Against the Machine's Take the Power Back.  The kick-drum is rendered beautifully in that song.

Hope that helps.

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #80 of 265
I love this Rage Against the Machine's Take the Power Back's intro.

I tried Hans Zimmer's Paradox but I don't hear too much bass.
Maybe my HD438s don't extend that low.. 

Quote:
Rage Against the Machine's Take the Power Back.  The kick-drum is rendered beautifully in that song.

Hope that helps.

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #81 of 265
Quote:
I love this Rage Against the Machine's Take the Power Back's intro.

I tried Hans Zimmer's Paradox but I don't hear too much bass.
Maybe my HD438s don't extend that low.. 

I was expecting to find an awful roll-off but the numbers don't look bad at all.  You might want to get a signal generator program and play around with the fit while playing a 40-50hz tone and see what gives you the most.

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #82 of 265

Quote:
  A song I use to test mid-bass-- such as kick drum impact, would be Rage Against the Machine's Take the Power Back.  The kick-drum is rendered beautifully in that song.  

the drums in general on most of that album are awesome on my 990s.
so good
bullet in ya head
and the bass

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #84 of 265
Loefah - Root / Loefah - The goat stare

NUFF SAID.

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #85 of 265

Any recommendations on free signal generator programs that are safe? 

I googled it but the only safe download I could find was cnet's Spectro signal generator. 

And for the life of me I can't figure out how to read the FR graph and key in the inputs to a signal generator. 

:s

Quote:
I was expecting to find an awful roll-off but the numbers don't look bad at all.  You might want to get a signal generator program and play around with the fit while playing a 40-50hz tone and see what gives you the most.

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #86 of 265
Audacity, such an incredible free little program.  :)

The inception soundtrack has a lot of bass, but only a couple of the songs have predominant bass lines that are in the 50-70hz region, the rest of them all have lingering bass that is in 20-30hz.  It's a great way to test low bass extension.   The same holds true for the Three6Mafia track as well, there's a constant bass rumble of around 20-30hz once the vocals kick in.  On something like the DT990, I can vaguely hear that 20-30hz hum, but on something with virtually no low-end limit like the D2000, I can moreso get a good visceral rumble out of it.  Oh, of course there's also James Blake's Limit to your Love if you want a song that really, really emphasizes bass.

Aug 6, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #87 of 265
I don't get Audacity. I just don't know how to use it properly.
I do find it fun for adding boost to songs, or amplifying and adding weird effects to it xD

Anyway I'm running the Spectro Signal Gen Free trial, and I can safely say that I only hear bass clearly at 50Hz.
Below that it's faint... And it really doesn't extend all the way down to 17/18Hz. Technical specs lied, boo :frowning2: 
I'm thinking of getting the Xonar U3 to get better signal off my laptop.. 

Aug 6, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #88 of 265
Aug 6, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #89 of 265
I love the Xonar products.

I have a Xonar Essence STX 2 channel soundcard in my comp. It's RCA outs are really quality outputs for a computer system. They put a lot of work into keeping the analog output stage nice and clean.

Aug 6, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #90 of 265
Deadmau5 - Dr. Funkenstein
Sounds alot better than youtube, on FLAC. Not a fan of Deamau5 but this is pretty deep and steady bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back