Good product for use while exercising
Jun 7, 2010 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

tyty5150

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for some phones that are portable, light, durable, and are good for use while jogging.  Not looking for the best quality obviously, but I'm tired of the iPod earbuds that don't fit in my ear well and don't sound too good.

Recommendations?

Jun 7, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 15
Price range?

I've been using Shure's IEM for a while and they generally are very sturdy. Sure, I've broken 2 pairs of E2c:s (called SE115 nowadays) and 2 pairs of SE210:s but the first times on both models it was construction faults (replaced by warranty) and the second times was both after 2-3 years of pretty rough handling.
But they may not be in the price range for a pair of jogging phones/buds...

Jun 7, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 15
X2 for the M6. And they are pretty good for sedentary use as well.
wink.gif

Edit: If you plan on jogging outside, I'll add the koss ksc75 to the list. They have great sound quality relative to price (among the best in all audio), stay on when running, and the open design lets you hear oncoming traffic.

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
Meelectronics M6 were pretty much designed for active use. Not too expensive, either. 

I use my M6's at the gym all off the time.  They sounds great and stay in place....until I start to sweat alot, then I have problems with them popping out alot.  I got some Sony Hybrid tips to see if they would help over the stock tips, and while they seemed to last a little longer, they too popped out once I really started to sweat.  The M6's are amazing though for when I lift or am walking around the track to cool off. 

I am wondering if I can find some foam tips that would work well at the gym for the M6's.  Any recommendations?

Jun 7, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
I use my M6's at the gym all off the time.  They sounds great and stay in place....until I start to sweat alot, then I have problems with them popping out alot.  I got some Sony Hybrid tips to see if they would help over the stock tips, and while they seemed to last a little longer, they too popped out once I really started to sweat.  The M6's are amazing though for when I lift or am walking around the track to cool off.   
I am wondering if I can find some foam tips that would work well at the gym for the M6's.  Any recommendations?

The M6 have a very smooth off-size nozzle and the only foam tips that worked were sold on ebay but don' t seem to be in stock anymore. The old-version M6 used to come with foam tips and I'm not sure why they dropped those. I would perhaps try some deeper-fitting tips. I've used some monster triple-flanges on mine and they were quite secure, though I can't say that I have the sweating problem. The seal created by the hybrids is enough to keep the moisture out (for me) and I guess my ears don't sweat from the inside (TMI, I know).

Jun 7, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #9 of 15
The M6's are indeed awesome, I think my problem is just that....my problem.  I do not think any product will work well for me at the gym except maybe on ear (which I am considering).

My left ear is worthless though... I can never get anything to fit well in there.  The Sony Hybrids on the M6's, the stock triple flange M6 tips, nothing.  Everything eventually pops out.

Jun 8, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
X2 for the M6. And they are pretty good for sedentary use as well.
wink.gif

Edit: If you plan on jogging outside, I'll add the koss ksc75 to the list. They have great sound quality relative to price (among the best in all audio), stay on when running, and the open design lets you hear oncoming traffic.

I do plan to jog outside.  I like that the Koss is an open design and would allow me to hear oncoming traffic.  Which would you recommend first?  M6 or KSC75?

Jun 8, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #11 of 15
Outside? Definitely the ksc75. It is just safer. Unless you plan on running full-time through some really loud neighborhoods and very busy streets (which are pretty poor choices for running outside anyway) the ksc75 is the better choice. Not that you can't also get the M6 for gym use, or for non-exercise use, or even to lie down with.

And that is headfi advice. When given the choice between A and B, just get both.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 8, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
Outside? Definitely the ksc75. It is just safer. Unless you plan on running full-time through some really loud neighborhoods and very busy streets (which are pretty poor choices for running outside anyway) the ksc75 is the better choice. Not that you can't also get the M6 for gym use, or for non-exercise use, or even to lie down with.

And that is headfi advice. When given the choice between A and B, just get both.
rolleyes.gif

Haha I like your thinking!

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #13 of 15
KSC-75 is pretty tough for a $20 pair .... but it's not particularly tough as whole, the joints can be a bit weak (at least 2004-2005 era); the best part of it is the replacement cost
wink.gif
I'm waiting on the OMX-980 personally, ear clips look pretty good for outdoor activity, metal earbuds look tough but not sure about the clip's durablility.

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #15 of 15
The Soundmagic PL-30/50 seems pretty well received and they have the stiff ear guides for active use, they might be worth looking into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back