Good Place to Buy Used CDs?
Aug 16, 2009 at 4:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Rebel908

New Head-Fier
Looking to pick up used CD's on the cheap, to expand the library and have legit CD's to rip from.

Anyone know a good place to buy in California? Preferably So Cal but Nor Cal is good to, cuz I'm headin there soon.

Aug 16, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #2 of 16
"BOOK OFF" is cheap and abundant in Japan.
BOOKOFF

BOOKOFF L.A.'s store
Redondo Beach Blvd., #E8 Gardena, CA

LA Rolling Hills Plaza Store
Pacific Coast Highway Torrance, CA

San Diego Store
Kearny Mesa Rd, Suite 128, San Diego, CA

BOOKOFF Costa Mesa Store
Harbor Blvd., Costa Mesa CA

Aug 16, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #6 of 16
If your going up north check out Rasputin Records, thats were I sell and buy most of my used muisc.

Aug 16, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #7 of 16
Where are you in Southern California? Closer to LA or San Diego? Amoeba is terrific in LA and I also like Record Surplus. Record Surplus focuses on vinyl (and it is glorious) but has a decent CD selection, too.

You should also hit the W6TRW swapmeet the last Saturday of every month. I've been grabbing CDs there for $2-$3 each. Sometimes less if I pick up a stack. They're actually getting cheaper than vinyl there. Also drop in at thrift stores and pawnshops. They usually have CDs and sometimes you can swing a deal.

Aug 16, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by T.IIZUKA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"BOOK OFF" is cheap and abundant in Japan.
BOOKOFF

BOOKOFF L.A.'s store
Redondo Beach Blvd., #E8 Gardena, CA

LA Rolling Hills Plaza Store
Pacific Coast Highway Torrance, CA

San Diego Store
Kearny Mesa Rd, Suite 128, San Diego, CA

BOOKOFF Costa Mesa Store
Harbor Blvd., Costa Mesa CA

I like BOOKOFF, but I think the Socal stores are probably smaller than the ones in Japan. The Torrance one is pretty small while the San Diego one is decent. I've never been to a BOOKOFF in Japan so I wouldn't be able to compare. Actually, I wouldn't recommend the Torrance one for American stuff...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where are you in Southern California? Closer to LA or San Diego? Amoeba is terrific in LA and I also like Record Surplus. Record Surplus focuses on vinyl (and it is glorious) but has a decent CD selection, too.

You should also hit the W6TRW swapmeet the last Saturday of every month. I've been grabbing CDs there for $2-$3 each. Sometimes less if I pick up a stack. They're actually getting cheaper than vinyl there. Also drop in at thrift stores and pawnshops. They usually have CDs and sometimes you can swing a deal.

Hmm... I'll have to check out Amoeba. I always see it when I go down to Sunset but I never go in.

Aug 16, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #9 of 16
It is a lot from a small store to a large-scale store in Japan.

In BOOK OFF of Japan, it is sold from JPY 250, and it often uses it.
The find can be obtained only unpopularly cheaply.

What's Going On (Deluxe Edition) and Let's Get It On (Deluxe Edition) was bought the other day totaling JPY 2000.
Rarely it.
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by yukihiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like BOOKOFF, but I think the Socal stores are probably smaller than the ones in Japan. The Torrance one is pretty small while the San Diego one is decent. I've never been to a BOOKOFF in Japan so I wouldn't be able to compare. Actually, I wouldn't recommend the Torrance one for American stuff...

Aug 16, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #12 of 16
I can't believe I forgot this place:

Soundsations
8701 La Tijera Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90045
310-641-8877

Not the biggest store, but they have a great selection, some of the lowest prices I've seen and the staff is incredibly cool.

Aug 17, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by cardude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

I buy quite a bit from Amazon, and have had good luck with them and their used sellers. You might also try eBay.

Does Amazon centralizes the used CDs offered on its website and sends the various CDs ordered by the client in one batch or does each owner sends it CD separately (which presumably increases shipping costs)?

Aug 17, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #14 of 16
Used Cd's are ordered from individual sellers. Shipping is a standard $2.98/CD even if you order multiples from the same seller. This may sound expensive however the used prices are reasonable and you'll save big bucks as opposed to buying new. Just look up any title you want and in addition to the Amazon price there will be a link to a page of used offerings. 95% of my cd's I purchase used on amazon, that's about 80 Cd's a year.

Aug 17, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #15 of 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back