Good pair of 'stay at home' cans.
Aug 19, 2012 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

creepy crab

New Head-Fier
Hi, first post in here, but I've been reading a lot of reviews etc recently to choose my first pair of proper headphones. So thanks to everyone who's reviewed and contributed to the site; it's been very helpful!

As a first set of cans I went for the Fanny Wangs 1003 on ear model. Not the best I'm sure but perfect for what I needed, namely: portability, closed (as i will be listening mostly on the bus and tube/uni common rooms etc so sound leakage is an issue) and reasonable sound quality based on what I've read here. Basically better, cheaper beats.

I've now caught the bug of decent sounding music through headphones, and want to create a decent set up at home. I'm looking for ultimate quality of sound that i can use for listening to music and watching films. Basically making my cheap speakers redundant and using them for everything. So obviously comfort is a factor. Size or sound leakage or style isn't. I'm not opposed to headphones that need amplifying to get the best from them,(if this is at all worth it) as I don't intend for them to leave the house. But i also don't want to go overkill. I don't listen to much classical music at all, so there's no point in spending loads on cans that only come into there own when playing it...

From what I've read around 'm expecting to hear SR80i suggested. Are these really an incredible sound?

Many thanks for helping me choose my first headphones, and hopefully my second!

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #4 of 14
Ah sorry my bad. I'm UK and top end is about £200. Obviously that doesn't mean i have to spend that. This is why I'm asking for advice here I don't want to spend more than i have to but am prepared to go to that if that's what it costs for a good quality, balanced pair :)

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #5 of 14
I personally have the SR80's myself, and they are great cans for use at home. However if portability isn't a factor then I think you should look into full size, open cans as opposed to the SR80s. The reason being the SR80s sit on your ears, which means some might find them uncomfortable after a while. A full sized headphone open headphone would be more suited to your needs, as they are more comfortable than on ear headphones. 

Are you looking for anything of a specific sound signature? What sorts of music do you listen to...? 

Another thing to mention is that a lot of the times (not always) full size cans would require amplification to bring out the best of the headphone. Obviously I'm not saying every pair of full size cans will require an amp but thats something to think about since your budget would be quite tight for an headphone + amp combo. 

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
I personally have the SR80's myself, and they are great cans for use at home. However if portability isn't a factor then I think you should look into full size, open cans as opposed to the SR80s. The reason being the SR80s sit on your ears, which means some might find them uncomfortable after a while. A full sized headphone open headphone would be more suited to your needs, as they are more comfortable than on ear headphones. 

Are you looking for anything of a specific sound signature? What sorts of music do you listen to...? 

Another thing to mention is that a lot of the times (not always) full size cans would require amplification to bring out the best of the headphone. Obviously I'm not saying every pair of full size cans will require an amp but thats something to think about since your budget would be quite tight for an headphone + amp combo. 

Thanks Spaz... No portability isn't a factor so I'll focus my search on full size opens. I listen to a fair mix as I'm sure most people here do! Mostly drum&bass, Ska, Reggae, jungle and some rock/metal too, although the metal is more rare nowadays. I like slightly bass heavy but not over powering. I just want to be able to hear everything precisely if that makes sense. Can you/anyone reccomend a full size open pair of phones that don't require an amp? I'm prepared to save for a bit to boost the budget if an amp would make a world of difference but if there's good solutions without then even better (y)  (Perhaps this post should be moved over to the full size forum?...)

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #8 of 14
That's a great suggestion as after some research it turns out i can get the Alessandro's alot cheaper here in the UK than the Grado's. Do you think this would be a good shout over a full sized pair for overall good quality fairly neutral phones with a big sound stage? I just want a pair of all purpose good quality listening for in my room.

I just bought a pair of XB500s for my bassier moments after reading many helpful comparisons on these boards, namely between the XB700. Turning into an expensive hobby :p

Aug 22, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
That's a great suggestion as after some research it turns out i can get the Alessandro's alot cheaper here in the UK than the Grado's. Do you think this would be a good shout over a full sized pair for overall good quality fairly neutral phones with a big sound stage? I just want a pair of all purpose good quality listening for in my room.

I just bought a pair of XB500s for my bassier moments after reading many helpful comparisons on these boards, namely between the XB700. Turning into an expensive hobby :p

I would suggest the MS1i over other Grados in that price range for both them being slightly warmer and like you said, the price is GREAT.  They are super "At Home" phones and can be easily moddified if you feel like having some fun with them at a later time.

Mine are only slightly modded and for cheap too:  Quarter Modded HD414 Bright Yellow Ear Pads [Link]
ir
  and a Beyerdynamic Replacement Headband [Link].

This is how mine look.  I have the MS1, not the MS1i, but they are basically the same, the "i" version is the redesign and has slightly better ratings.

Aug 22, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

I would suggest the MS1i over other Grados in that price range for both them being slightly warmer and like you said, the price is GREAT.  They are super "At Home" phones and can be easily moddified if you feel like having some fun with them at a later time.

Mine are only slightly modded and for cheap too:  Quarter Modded HD414 Bright Yellow Ear Pads [Link]
ir
  and a Beyerdynamic Replacement Headband [Link].

Brilliant thanks for the advice :) Think I'm set on the ms1i now! Just out of interest, what improvements/changes did that mod give you? Is it purely for comfort or does it move the driver further away from your ear? thanks

Aug 22, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #11 of 14
Comfort mostly.  I did not notice too much sound change.  The bass is still there.  Maybe the HD414 Ear Pads help with the soundstage.....  ever so slightly...  It does not move the drivers much farther from your ear.  Maybe just a tad.

Aug 22, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #12 of 14
I love my MS1i.  Another option for comfort and a bit wider soundstage is to get some of the Grado "L Cush" bowls to use instead of the flat comfy pads that come with it.  They will keep the cans from sitting right on your ears -- but you have to wash them in some hair conditioner or fabric softener because they are a little scratchy at first.

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
Thanks Spaz... No portability isn't a factor so I'll focus my search on full size opens. I listen to a fair mix as I'm sure most people here do! Mostly drum&bass, Ska, Reggae, jungle and some rock/metal too, although the metal is more rare nowadays. I like slightly bass heavy but not over powering. I just want to be able to hear everything precisely if that makes sense. Can you/anyone reccomend a full size open pair of phones that don't require an amp? I'm prepared to save for a bit to boost the budget if an amp would make a world of difference but if there's good solutions without then even better (y)  (Perhaps this post should be moved over to the full size forum?...)

People say they don't want the bass to be too heavy but they are often disappointed with new headphones that are close to bass neutral :) 

For those genres, you're going to need some speed with a bit of bass punchiness. Grados are famous for the genres you listed, though they're a bit notorious when it comes to comfort. Maybe a tad lacking in bass (for some). Maybe you should try out a SR-60 and see if you like the sound signature, because if you don't, you probably won't like the more expensive Grados which are improvements, but will sound very similar in signature. 

I'd avoid Sennheissers since they're a bit slow for genres lie metal. They're extremely versatile however. For instance, I got the HD598s as a gift because I needed a headphone for gaming, movies, and music (all kinds of genres). Simply the most diverse headphone out there with some extraordinary qualities as well. 

Avoid the AKGs... will not meet the expectations of your genres. A bit overrated as well, at least the 701 series I've listened to. Can't believe the K701 used to sell for $400 and managed decent reviews... ah the degree to which expectation bias affect people... 

Maybe look into the Beyerdynamic / Denon lines? I hate their treble but tons of people love them so why not? 

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
People say they don't want the bass to be too heavy but they are often disappointed with new headphones that are close to bass neutral :) 

For those genres, you're going to need some speed with a bit of bass punchiness. Grados are famous for the genres you listed, though they're a bit notorious when it comes to comfort. Maybe a tad lacking in bass (for some). Maybe you should try out a SR-60 and see if you like the sound signature, because if you don't, you probably won't like the more expensive Grados which are improvements, but will sound very similar in signature. 

I'd avoid Sennheissers since they're a bit slow for genres lie metal. They're extremely versatile however. For instance, I got the HD598s as a gift because I needed a headphone for gaming, movies, and music (all kinds of genres). Simply the most diverse headphone out there with some extraordinary qualities as well. 

Avoid the AKGs... will not meet the expectations of your genres. A bit overrated as well, at least the 701 series I've listened to. Can't believe the K701 used to sell for $400 and managed decent reviews... ah the degree to which expectation bias affect people... 

Maybe look into the Beyerdynamic / Denon lines? I hate their treble but tons of people love them so why not? 

Thanks aot for all that advice :) You may well be right about the bass neutral thing. I like to think I like everything in perfect balance but i do really enjoy good punchy bass. Just not at the expense of everything else in these phones. I have my new XB500s for that! I will look into Beyerdynamic / denon on your advice, as I want these headphones to be my 'go to' really nice pair when I get in and take my portables off, so I'm going to take plenty of time trying and considering different brands/models. with regards to trying the SR60s, I've spoken to my local headphone store who've agreed to let me try a pair of SR80is in their sample room (a really comfy sofa in a quiet room). Kind of feel bad doing that and then ordering the Alessandro's but they do represent a significant saving...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back