Good pair of Headphones under $50?
Aug 16, 2011 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

iTzTECHKiNG

New Head-Fier
Well 1st of all, I'm a headphone n00b, Don't really know much about headphones.
I listen to mostly dubstep, electro, DnB, trance. Some occasional old school rap here and there.

I was looking for a pair of quality headphones because I'm tired of apple's gay earphones.
I want to enjoy songs by hearing everything in it. I also need something that isn't too big because I'm gonna wear em' to my college.

I was looking at the Sennheiser HD428 and JVC HARX700's.

Sennheiser HD428

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD428-Closed-Circumaural-Headphone/dp/B002DGTGNG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

JVC HARX700

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HARX700-High-Grade-Full-Size-Headphone/dp/B0013OWPV4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313524368&sr=8-1

What would you guys recommend?
If you need more info just ask! :D

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 22
I have not heard either set you mention, but the best I've found for under $50 is KOSS Portapro.  Check out this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/139773/koss-portapro-appreciation-thread

They have a lifetime warranty, and plenty of bass for the style of music you listen to.   I work in a college town, and I've been surprised at how many students are walking around with portapros.  Awesome 80's vintage design.  They fold up, so don't worry about them being too large.  They're actually smaller than they might look in a photo.

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 22
Heya,

Whatever you do, don't ge the HD428's. Flimsy, don't isolate because they don't grip, cheap feeling, dinky cord things. They sound good, mind you, but man are they built like cheap junk. Seriously disappointed when Sennheiser put those things on a shelf. I was floored how poor quality construction they were.

You need bass. You're a dub/electro/trance head.

The XB500 is your headphone.

Equalize the mids/highs up a few dB and you have a seriously awesome headphone for $50. Done.

Very best,

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 22
Are the XB500 good for portable use? I'm gonna be wearing these pretty much everyday while in college.

Quote:
Heya,

Whatever you do, don't ge the HD428's. Flimsy, don't isolate because they don't grip, cheap feeling, dinky cord things. They sound good, mind you, but man are they built like cheap junk. Seriously disappointed when Sennheiser put those things on a shelf. I was floored how poor quality construction they were.

You need bass. You're a dub/electro/trance head.

The XB500 is your headphone.

Equalize the mids/highs up a few dB and you have a seriously awesome headphone for $50. Done.

Very best,

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 22
Panasonic RP-HTX7. Check them out - I think they're what you're looking for. 

And please refrain from using the word "gay" when you obviously are not using the actual meaning. It sounds stupid, and I'm guessing you're pretty smart if you're coming to this site asking for audio advice. Happy listening. 

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 22
Both the Koss Portapro's and RP-HTX7 have superior sound for their respective price points. 

Between the two I'd get the RP-HTX7 because of the isolation factor, but I think the Portapros sound marginally better to my ears. Then again, I never did try a modded HTX7, which is another thing to consider. Because there is apparently a mod for the HTX7s that improves the sound a fair deal and is really easy to do. 

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #8 of 22
NO! They're HUGE! And they make your ears sweat. or just really warm for some people. You can't even move your neck much when you have them around your neck cuz the cups are so big. The JVC you linked isn't good for portable use either, but it's smaller if I remember correctly, and it's a pretty awesome headphone for what you want (music-wise).

Quote:
Are the XB500 good for portable use? I'm gonna be wearing these pretty much everyday while in college.

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #9 of 22
Heya,

They're huge? They're no bigger than another full size over-ear headphone.

They're fine for portable use. They can get warm outside in the sun. Any headphone will and does. They don't need an amp. They don't swivel, is their only fault in terms of portability, so you just take 'em off when not listening. You won't find another headphone that does bass like this, and sounds as good honestly when equalized, for $50 or less.

Very best,

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #10 of 22
Thanx for the info and pictures to show the size.

Quote:
Heya,

They're huge? They're no bigger than another full size over-ear headphone.

They're fine for portable use. They can get warm outside in the sun. Any headphone will and does. They don't need an amp. They don't swivel, is their only fault in terms of portability, so you just take 'em off when not listening. You won't find another headphone that does bass like this, and sounds as good honestly when equalized, for $50 or less.

Very best,

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #11 of 22
It's bigger than the M50 I have. Bigger than the RX700 and HD215 I used to have. Bigger than the HD555 I tried. Bigger than the HD600 I have. It's thicker than all of them too. All of those are full-sized. The XB500 are pretty big. 
The XB500 are closed. They're going to make your ears sweat a lot more when you're out-and-about than headphones like the HD555 would. The HD555 never made my ears sweat, even when I was walking around during the summer. The XB500 were making my ears very warm in just 20 minutes while I was inside a store <-- air conditioner was on low, so it was about the same temperature as the outdoors.

Aug 17, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
It's bigger than the M50 I have.
Bigger than the HD555 I tried.
Bigger than the HD600 I have.
All of those are full-sized.
The XB500 are pretty big. 

Oh you think so? Let's see, since I have those.

M50 vs XB500 - Same size.

HD580 (HD600, HD650, all same size) vs XB500, Sennies are bigger.

AD500/700/900 all same size vs XB500 - D5x6x7x are a bit bigger.

DT990 (770 and 880 all same size) vs XB500 - About same size as XB500.

Ultrasone Pro 900 (and all Pro line is same size) vs XB500 - About same size.

AKG K701 vs XB500 - AKG bigger than XB500.

The XB500's are NOT that big.

Very best,

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #13 of 22
I just got the panasonics and been listening to a lot of trance. They are awesome. Even next to my K701s and HD650s I am impressed wit the panas.

Also, consider:

http://www.headfonia.com/portable-basshead-superlux-hd651/

Aug 17, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #14 of 22
Sony XB500, mushy sound, mushy pads.
JVC HA-RX700 are not small

Superlux HD-668Bs semi-open headphones, best price at Audiohipster.
Very little sound leaks out, but you hear enough outside noise for safety.
There 56-Ohm, should work with anything.
Comes with a 3 foot cable for when your portable
and a 10 foot cable when you need the extra reach.
Best sound quality for the price.
Dare you to find someone that owns them and does not like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back