Good overhead headphones for EDM around $300-$400
Feb 20, 2013 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Jcat4

New Head-Fier
Hello all, I am in search of a good substitute for my krk rp6 monitors for when I move on campus for college. I would like a pair of over-ear headphones  for EDM (primarily progressive house and trance). I am looking for good bass with a lot of impact on kicks without sacrificing too much in the mids and highs. I like V sound signature, yet I hate it when the mids are totally scooped out. Would the denon ahd2000 fit this criteria? Any other suggestions welcome.

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 12
I don't know what kind of sound you like, but coupled with a portable amp (I have the e11), my sennheiser hd 380 pros sound amazing for any kind of music, including edm. Without an amp, the hd380s are flat sounding and lack bass, but throw in an amp and they are awesome. They don't distort bass but add "oomph" and punch to the bass, while still maintaining the deep bass. Mids and highsare made more pronounced by an amp and sound fantastic. Retail for the hd380s are 200, but I got mine new for 160 AT&T best buy on sale and the e11 and l9 lod on amazon are 50 dollars. You're only in 250 or less and have some extra money to spend on other stuff:)

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 12
I've heard the senn 380's, they sound too... airy and laid back. Plus, it seemed to have no punch to the sound. I could see them fairing well in classic, orchestral, and soft rock but just not to my tastes 
tongue.gif

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #8 of 12
I listen to a lot of EDM and I think the HE-400s are a great choice for it. The Denons should be good too though if you can find a reasonably priced one.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #9 of 12
I've heard the senn 380's, they sound too... airy and laid back. Plus, it seemed to have no punch to the sound. I could see them fairing well in classic, orchestral, and soft rock but just not to my tastes 
tongue.gif

To be honest I wasn't overly impressed with them when I got them but its an acquired sound and along with an amp, they gain a massive improvement.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #10 of 12
So are there any ahd2000 owners in here? I currently own a pair of ath-m50's. I like them, yet I feel the mids are too recessed. How do they compare? Also, any overall impressions are welcomed!

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #12 of 12
I think the Denon will give you better mids (and are a good logical upgrade from the M50), and somewhat better sub-bass performance (for a headphone, you have to remember that - you'll never replicate speakers, or big subwoofers). They're also substantially more comfortable. The PRO900 will give you more bass, but the somewhat withdrawn mids will probably not be a good choice; I'd suggest the PRO2900 instead (if you go Ultrasone).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back