Good Noise Isolating headphones?
Mar 13, 2011 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

WaveRider69

100+ Head-Fier
List any that you can think of.  I need something that will absolutely block out the exterior sound of nonstop outside noises, chirping birds, air conditioners, nonstop barking yappy dogs, lawnmowers, etc.

No IEMs as I'll be wearing these 10+ hours a day, things in my ears for that long just feel weird.

So far I've come up with

German Maestro (forgot the model)
HD280's
Quietheadphones.com
Some Sony ones?

I've got some DT990's and love them, so whatever I choose doesn't have to top them in sound quality, just that they sound "good enough" for my daytime use while meeting the below requirements.

This is what I seek in order of importance.

Comfort
Block Outside Noise
Something without the hearing yourself superamplified breathing noise is very important.
Good Sound Quality.

Any and all tips, advice, etc welcome and appreciated please.  Thanks in advance.

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 5
I second the Audio Technica ATH-ANC7s. I was so impressed by mine that I bought a second pair for my wife.

I've also heard the Goldring NS1000 (very nice) and the Bose QC3 (also very nice, but over-priced).

Mar 13, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 5
Most active noise cancellers are only good at removing low frequency sounds like engines (airplane,bus) but you still hear higher sounds such as loud voices and tv's. Having said that, as mentioned above the Goldring NS1000's are very good at this and are one of the most comfortable hp's I've ever had.

My best noise cancellers so far have been the Westone 2's (passive) with the Shure olives.     

Mar 13, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #5 of 5
The Sony NC500D has impressive noise cancellation properties. Another pair of noteworthy active NC headphones are the Sennheiser PXC450s. If you want passive cancellation, the Sennheiser HD25-1 IIs isolate well for a headphone (although the isolation can't compare to IEMs). The HD25s aren't so comfortable for extended use, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back