Good music to burn in headphones with?
Dec 30, 2010 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

stephancho

100+ Head-Fier
I'm burning in my Senn HD238s and so far am playing 10+ loud songs on Youtube at the same time to help with the burn in process. It seems to be working pretty well, because a quick listen at the resulting mess is very bassy, with different pitches across the board, with music that can be described as what I usually listen to.
What music is recommended to burn in?

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #2 of 19
Many say pink noise is best if you are going to just let them burn in. Otherwise just listen to stuff and they will burn in eventually...that way you can hear the progression if there is any.

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 19
Last time I burned in a set of cans, I put the volume to slightly higher than comfortable listening volume, set my foobar playlist on random repeat, stuck them in a sock drawer, and went to work. repeat for 4 days (with listening in the evenings, couldn't resist) and call it good.

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #4 of 19

I remember a similar thread where a member played insanely loud music for 24 hours and reported that it worked wonders for the headphones, more than weeks of normal volume burn in.  I've tried it myself with my 702s and agree.  

Dec 30, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #5 of 19

Quote:
Many say pink noise is best if you are going to just let them burn in. Otherwise just listen to stuff and they will burn in eventually...that way you can hear the progression if there is any.

Agreed, I just used my m50s daily, listening at a moderate volume to everything under the sun (classic rock, electronica, blues, jazz, etc...) and it did not take long for the burn in to begin.  I was tempted to just set them aside and let em' play for hours on end, but I'm glad I did not as it's been very interesting to hear the progression from what they sounded like right out of the box.

Dec 30, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 19

try not to burn in your headphones with youtube videos. youtube videos provide terrible audio quality. your "foobar" method is better. 
wink.gif
Quote:

I'm burning in my Senn HD238s and so far am playing 10+ loud songs on Youtube at the same time to help with the burn in process. It seems to be working pretty well, because a quick listen at the resulting mess is very bassy, with different pitches across the board, with music that can be described as what I usually listen to.
What music is recommended to burn in?

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #10 of 19
I like Stella by Andreas Vollenweider and The Endless Enigma pt 2 by Emerson Lake and Palmer.  Both have great highs and unbelievable lows...as a matter of fact, they are both my demo songs for picking loudspeakers and cans.  The lows on the ELP are very hard to reproduce through most systems and when both songs are replayed successfully, they will give you chills.

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #12 of 19
Theres a headphone burn in app i have on my ipad i use with my m50's , gotta love apps

Jan 9, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #13 of 19
just put them on your head,enjoy your music and let your ears do the fine tuning.

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
NO! That is not what we do here on HeadFi.  We do NOT enjoy our music! 
wink_face.gif
  We post about things we have no clue about and pretend we can hear things that no scientific instrument can measure.  That is how we have fun.  
eek.gif

I find that if I smear my headphones drivers with snake oil and slap them periodically with a large salmon, I can achieve burn in on my phones around 56.345653% faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back