Good music for choosing a DAC?
Jul 17, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #31 of 67
Honestly I still disagree with the "big night and day differences" kind of argument. Differences between DACs, IME, are very subtle (if noticeable), and certainly can depend on what they're being "fed" (garbage in, garbage out) - that much I will agree with (although the necessity (or utility) of a server operating system for music listening is certainly something I'd question). Digital sources (or transports, or whatever else we want to call them), IME, certainly conform to "bits are bits" unless they're doing something beyond just outputting digital audio (e.g. they have DSP or EQ functionality - a good example of this would be a computer soundcard)., in which case they can absolutely make a big difference in sound. I'm also not at all surprised to see an iPhone measuring so well - quality digital equipment really doesn't have to cost a fortune (or require a PhD to set-up) these days, and has become increasingly pervasive/common to boot. Sure, it (along with most battery powered hardware) probably isn't the best choice for hard-to-drive loads, but that's a question of amplification, not sourcing, imho.

Seems to me like you've never heard high-end source components. (DACs, network players, etc.) Spend a sufficient amount of time listening to (not theorizing about) some real high-end systems, comparing to entry-level components, and I can just about guarantee you will lose your skepticism. I've spent countless hours with low-end DACs and find them nigh unlistenable compared to Chord.

Jul 18, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #32 of 67
Seems to me like you've never heard high-end source components. (DACs, network players, etc.) Spend a sufficient amount of time listening to (not theorizing about) some real high-end systems, comparing to entry-level components, and I can just about guarantee you will lose your skepticism. I've spent countless hours with low-end DACs and find them nigh unlistenable compared to Chord.

Or the reverse. I've compared $500 to $1,000+ CDPs (ie the kind I tend to use before I got into headphone audio) vs my Meier amp's PCM2702-based USB DAC (also had a Burson Soloist to compare with the Meier using all the CDPs) and only the Cayin CDT-23 and Arcam CD72 beat the combo USB receiver-DAC chip on a daughterboard. Dishonorable mention - a Cambridge entry level CDP that imaged the bass in front of the vocals, Marantz CD6002 had no depth (unlike my CD60), and the Rega Saturn gave Norah Jones sinusitis.

Jul 18, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #33 of 67
Or the reverse. I've compared $500 to $1,000+ CDPs (ie the kind I tend to use before I got into headphone audio) vs my Meier amp's PCM2702-based USB DAC (also had a Burson Soloist to compare with the Meier using all the CDPs) and only the Cayin CDT-23 and Arcam CD72 beat the combo USB receiver-DAC chip on a daughterboard. Dishonorable mention - a Cambridge entry level CDP that imaged the bass in front of the vocals, Marantz CD6002 had no depth (unlike my CD60), and the Rega Saturn gave Norah Jones sinusitis.

That's true. Sometimes cheaper stuff ends up outperforming more expensive counterparts. (Or in some cases people prefer the cheaper one even though it's technically inferior.) I've encountered that plenty of times. (Didn't mean to imply that pricier is always better.)

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #34 of 67
Like the wise man once said - "discuss the opinion, not the person." I've owned, heard, used, demo'd, been loaned, worked on, played with, etc my fair share of gear at all ends of the price and performance spectrum (from cheap as chips to $texas and back again), both studio and consumer, and stand by what I said. In my experience (that's what "IME" means if it wasn't clear - I'm learning there's apparently a whole new generation of "Internet slang" these days, and apparently I've become "an old fart" without even noticing), there is not a *significant* difference between DACs, if one is even noticeable at all. This does not mean "they all sound the same" but I have never (and this point expect to never) heard the "Jesus singing" kind of massive night and day differences that some audio rags laud every latest DAC (or "digital device" - I'm *really* done with the "end of digititis" being proclaimed every 6 months) with bringing about, and in some cases there's nothing at all to get up in arms about. Beyond that, IME, if the two DACs (or CD players, or whatever) aren't being directly A/B'd in a sighted and non-matched environment, I frankly don't find the differences worth getting super excited about in most cases.* Again I'm not saying "its all exactly the same 100%" but I am saying "if there are differences, they're generally very slight, and if I'm not critically A/B comparing two devices, those slight differences can easily fade into the background/be of no consequence." And I think that absolutely gets to this thread's main question: so what's good material to even uncover those differences, if they are even there? And I responded to that back a few posts, and will repeat that here too: music that you're familiar with, that's high quality (as in, high bitrate lossy or lossless files; not something that's been mangled by 64k ATRAC just because it lets you get about 200 tracks on a CD), and for my personal taste, something that is heavily vocal focused (both because I tend to listen to that kind of music more often and because I believe, factually or not, that our ability to easily identify and process human voices makes it easier to hear defects in playback or recording of voices as a result). I would absolutely go as far as saying the source material itself probably matters more than the DAC or transport (or whatever) because the audible differences between, for example, the 64k ATRAC and a lossless flac rip of the same track will be significantly greater than the differences between two CD players or DACs or whatever else, all else being equal.

* Free example: I own what is, to my understanding, the most flagshippy flagship HD-DVD player ever produced, the Integra DHS-8.8, which is a rebadged (and if you believe some of what you read online, slightly souped up) Toshiba XA2 (and it could be a straight rebadge for all I care - it plays my HD-DVD collection and that makes me a happy camper), and it is frankly a fine sounding CD player in its own right. I also own a similar age, and similarly priced (when new) Blu-ray player (a Yamaha BD-S1900), which is also frankly a fine sounding CD player in *its* own right. They have different DACs from different manufacturers (Wolfson and AKM, if I'm not mistaken), different transport mechanisms, and don't even play all the same kinds of discs - point is they're pretty different machines inside and out that happen to have some format commonality. I can happily enjoy CDs equally on both of them, and think both of them sound pretty darned good (and at roughly US $1000/ea when new, they better), to the point that I could (and have) happily live with either of them as a CD player in a system. Out of curiosity, because they happen to be in the same system/rack now, I decided to hook both of them up with a toggle, grab a Sinatra album, and see what they're like "side by side" - and wouldn't you know, I'd swear there are very slight differences between them. Specifically the Integra sounds a bit colder and a bit dryer. But in general they both very much conform to the "low noise, low distortion, high fidelity" archetype (and again, at roughly US $1000/ea when new, they better), and if they aren't locked side-by-side with quick switching between, those slight differences really melt away to nothing pretty quickly, and its really just "wow, this sounds pretty good - this machine is doing a nice job with this CD." I'm not sitting there going "gah, I wonder what this record sounds like on the Yamaha - would it sound more engaging and warm?" or "wow the Integra would be a better match with these cans, it'd really balance them out!" These are not "life changing differences" in my book - the difference between that Sinatra album from the CD (or lossless rip thereof) vs compressing it down to 128k would be genuinely a bigger difference; I say this to help provide further context. It is really that simple in my view - they're both quality machines and both do a good job at what they do. And that's how I've felt about most DACs and ADCs I've ever heard, at basically any price point (which goes into the five figure range and probably beyond), both pro and consumer. I would agree with the idea that extremely one-sided comparisons, like lets take either of my movie players and put it up against an el-cheapo portable CD player, the movie player should do a better job (and just from having owned my share of el-cheapo portable CD players over the years, they generally aren't great - but for $29.95 what do you really expect?). That said, I'd say with DACs more than any other device (except maybe cables or power products) its really easy to hit the point of diminishing returns, especially with modern gear. And it makes sense - most DAC designs target basically the same performance standards: low noise, low distortion, flat frequency response, and filtering that eliminates artefacts rather than cause them. As far as "pure transports" go, I'm even more skeptical, simply because there's not much for a transport to screw up - especially if it isn't a disc spinner and/or trying to run some DSP/EQ/whatever (which in a lot of cases, especially historically, usually caused more problems than it fixed). Feeding garbage into it is going to be a significantly bigger problem than anything it could likely influence itself, which again goes back to "you really should pick quality stuff that you're familiar with" if you're going to attempt a comparison. But again, these are (IME) small differences that don't make much difference outside of very nitpicky comparisons or audio magazines. The best analogy I can give here is that of a water hose - the "overall system quality" is like the water flow, and if you kink it off way up at the beginning by the spigot, it doesn't matter if it opens up to a bigger diameter with fancy teflon coating for decreased resistance later on - you've already choked it out before that stuff can make any difference.

I'll add that I'm not really trying to "convert" anyone to my way (or anyone else's way) of thinking - I didn't arrive at this conclusion by "theorizing" about anything. Sure, I've read books and studied a lot of stuff that relates to the above, but frankly I've arrived at this conclusion through experience more than anything else (although there are plenty of books and articles that support the same conclusion, and have good reasons for doing so), and that took years. And before anyone screams "expectation bias!" - I "went into it" absolutely expecting that the fancier and better the gear got, the better it not only could, but should, sound, and was instead somewhat disappointed once the genie was out of the bottle and the realization that frankly significantly diminishing returns kick in way before most folks are priced out of the market.

There are, however, other good reasons to own "nicer" gear (which have nothing to do with sonics) and frankly I wish "audiophiles" could just honestly accept them, things like:

- Better build quality.
- Better warranties.
- Better end-user support.
- More/better non-music functionality/user experience (things like backlit remotes, quality displays, non-retina-burning LEDs, smartphone apps that work, network functionality that works, good user manuals, good ergonomics, etc)
- Pride of ownership.

It's like, nobody who buys a Rolls-Royce goes and screams at Honda owners how much of a better/more serious driver they are for owning a Rolls-Royce based on about how much more efficient, safe, versatile, high performance, whatever their Rolls-Royce is, nor do we expect the Honda owners to go out and gang up on a Rolls-Royce owner and tell him/her what a rube they are for having bought the Rolls-Royce; but we see that exact back-and-forth play out in the world of "audiophilia" on a regular basis. I do truly wish it would stop.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #35 of 67
@obobskivich My hat is off to you! You have here put into a brief phrase the concept that I have been trying to succinctly express:

I am saying "if there are differences, they're generally very slight, and if I'm not critically A/B comparing two devices, those slight differences can easily fade into the background/be of no consequence."
When testing with vs. without Hugo (or any other audio comparison), I have a hierarchy of differences that I might hear, from smallest to largest:

1. I hear no difference, even in rapid A/B switching to test;
  2. I hear a difference, but cannot formulate a preference;
  3. I prefer a particular one, hence indicating I can reliably tell which of the two choices is which;
  4. I can distinguish the difference (and preference) and do so even without rapid A/B testing, but at first listen after a day or so.
If the difference is not great enough to be instantly perceived without A/B testing, then perhaps it "fades into the background of no consequence" and is not worth paying for!

Thanks for helping clarify my thoughts.

Jul 18, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #37 of 67

Alright then, just for reference, please list the most expensive DACs you have heard, as well as which Chord DACs you have heard, along with the equipment you used, how much time you spent with them, which music genres were tested, etc.

You said that in your experience, DACs do not make a significant difference, but in my experience, more often than not, they are completely different sound signatures and sound nothing alike! (Though cheap ones tend to be about the same level of crappy.) In some cases they make even more of a difference than switching between two different headphones. (This is based on owning them, by the way, not brief auditions at meets.)

I said theorizing because you are making claims about certain things you have not heard, such as high-end digital transports. It's far more complex than you're making it out to be. The general consensus (not a minority opinion!) among those who use (and spend three to five figures on) these is that they make a significant difference. I can attest to that even with my laptop version.

If someone hears something and does not notice a difference, that's fine, but I take issue with people bashing things they have never even heard.

"There's no such thing as digital." (Title of the article.) https://www.audiostream.com/content/draft

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #38 of 67
I dunno what to tell you, man. Going from DACs under $200 to Chord DACs like the 2Qute and Mojo makes it seem like I'm listening to entirely different speakers. It's immediately obvious with any type of recording, and far more significant than the difference between, say, the HD 600 and HD 650. Lo-fi vs hi-fi in my book.

But since you don't hear a difference, like I said, I guess you don't need to worry about source components and can just get rid of everything but the basics in order to save money.

Or if you want to test further, try all types of music as I recommended.

http://www.musicgenreslist.com

It's not really that he doesn't have to worry about source components but that Apple products have exceptional built in DAC chips and they sound great.

There are others besides him and i which confirm this. Especially read this review of Iphone 5 SQ, check out the summary section.

The apple products sound excellent and have great audio components.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-5/audio-quality.htm

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #39 of 67
It's not really that he doesn't have to worry about source components but that Apple products have exceptional built in DAC chips and they sound great.

There are others besides him and i which confirm this. Especially read this review of Iphone 5 SQ, check out the summary section.

The apple products sound excellent and have great audio components.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-5/audio-quality.htm

I already responded to this:

I think your statement is misleading. Just because you don't hear a difference doesn't mean others can't. Plenty of cheap DACs measure better than that. Countless audiophiles (including myself) think said cheap DACs sound utterly mediocre while Chord DACs sound amazing. And Chord DACs do measure many times better as well. I just wanted to emphasize all this again because most Chord owners do hear a significant difference.

Jul 18, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #40 of 67
Music Alchemist said:
I think your statement is misleading. Just because you don't hear a difference doesn't mean others can't. Plenty of cheap DACs measure better than that. Countless audiophiles (including myself) think said cheap DACs sound utterly mediocre while Chord DACs sound amazing. And Chord DACs do measure many times better as well. I just wanted to emphasize all this again because most Chord owners do hear a significant difference.

Right and just because you hear a difference doesn't mean there is one.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #42 of 67
But have you heard an Iphone 5 or apple audio DAC?

Yes. But I was referring to the measurements and how plenty of cheap DACs measure better, and Chord DACs measure many times better. That's not bashing; just stating the facts. (Of course, my subjective impressions are separate from that.)

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #43 of 67
LMAO! Like I said, we're talking about completely different sound signatures here. There's no way they sound the same.

So you've become an objectivist now? People need to keep this crap in Sound Science and stop harassing audiophiles.

Just playing devils advocate. You can only trust your ears. I haven't heard a chord DAC myself so I can't really speak on it. However, there are many people (check out Z review) of Mojo in comment section who also agree with him that they do not hear much difference between it and other DACS. They don't think it improves much and is over priced for a subtle change. I'd consider the Apple stuff good DAC's. Even the article I posted mentioned the dirty secret that many products don't sound much better than an Iphone 5.

I think it is telling though, that OP hears virtually no difference between a HUGO and his Iphone. If the difference was obvious, he would not be struggling to find "any difference" at all. And I think the difference should be pretty obvious if you are spending $1,000 on the device.

YMMV and all of that as always.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #44 of 67
Just playing devils advocate. You can only trust your ears. I haven't heard a chord DAC myself so I can't really speak on it. However, there are many people (check out Z review) of Mojo in comment section who also agree with him that they do not hear much difference between it and other DACS. They don't think it improves much and is way over priced. I'd consider the Apple stuff good DAC's. Even the article I posted mentioned the dirty secret that many products don't sound much better than an Iphone 5.

I think it is telling though, that OP hears virtually no difference between a HUGO and his Iphone. If the difference was obvious, he would not be struggling to find "any difference" at all. And I think the difference should be pretty obvious if you are spending $1,000 on the device.

YMMV and all of that as always.

The vast majority of the tens of thousands of audiophiles who invested in a Chord DAC are like me and insist that they sound far superior to conventional/affordable DACs. Why don't you find it "telling" that I immediately hear a difference with the Mojo and 2Qute (which also sound very different from each other) compared to more than a few cheap DACs, and that thousands of others have experienced the same? You have to take all accounts into account. But yes, I agree about trusting your own ears.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #45 of 67
If it sounds vastly superior why is it that OP cannot tell any difference at all while A/B the two? Surely there should be some noticeable difference, no? OP is using resolving cans. OP is an experienced member on here, not some newbie who just bought his first HP. Something would not add up there.

Maybe apple DAC/Audio is far superior to most conventional/affordable DACS? Maybe that's the rub.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back