GOOD-LOOKING speakers for bedroom or second livingroom? (Airplay enabled)
Jan 13, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #16 of 30
You'll know when you hear it. Also if you want to go on the cheap search for some threads on Dayton bookshelf speakers (and subs). They seem to be a budget favorite. Additionally the Andrew  Jones series of budget Pioneer speakers (e.g. SP-BS22-LR and the larger BS41s) have gotten mad props from everywhere and have been cheap ($99-$120) lately on sites like Newegg and Amazon. With Best Buy price match you  can get some good deals and maybe even listen in-store.

Jan 13, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #17 of 30
I agree. Look into the Swans, Emotivas, and the Vanatoos. Emotiva Airmotiv 4s have been out of stock for a month or so. Might have to contact Emotiva and see when they are getting new stock if you are interested in them.

If you have the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers in your HT setup, you'll appreciate those speakers. Should sound as good :)

Jan 14, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #20 of 30
Thanks a lot.

I keep hearing about the airplay not working well with stuff cutting out.
Is this true?

Would it be more advisable to spend on speakers plus apple airport express for airplay instead?

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #23 of 30

So these speakers work without an amp and connect to airplay? Howv

They just mean they have an amp built int othem and don't require a separate amp, like multimedia computer speakers.

Maybe I will have to sacrifice the looks for function given my small budget

Not really - check out this one if you haven't looked in detail yet from the links posted. I used to have the D1080MkII 08 but I'm preparing to move to another job (and maybe start my PhD abroad) next year, so I sold it. I'm still having remorse over it, but right now I'm considering getting the M100MkII when I move and use it at my work desk at home (planning to just use an Ultrabook for work, then a miniITX rig hooked up to an HDTV and HT entry-level receiver+small 5.1 speaker set-up, instead of needing a desk for PC gaming). Less deep bass of course given the smaller midwoofer but at that close distance from me (and the need for a compact system) I wouldn't really mind.

Feb 17, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #25 of 30
Thank you everyone for the replies!

After some thought I've decided to purchase the pioneer SP-BS22-LR and pair it with amp and airport express. Although it is not what I was planning at first, my thought was that the integrated speakers are sold at a premium compared to the separate amp/wifi/speakers setup.

I may still end up buying one of the speakers which was suggested in the thread but I'm going to experiment with the pioneer speakers for now. Now I have to hunt for a simple amp to go with it.

The hunt for gear (I'm always buying new gear in all areas of the house) begins againb

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #28 of 30
So you didn't by the Pioneers? Vanatoo has an Airplay bundle right now. Not sure how it pencils out over buying separately. Wish someone else would buy these great speakers so I would have a fanboi buddy. Just an  excellent product. 

Aug 29, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #30 of 30
I just bought a pair for use as my desktop speakers. OMG! The best bookshelf (powered bookshelf/desk) speaker I've ever heard in my life! Before burn-in, a sub, or anything, the bass is a beast! And the micro-details, vocal clarity, and mids are outstanding. More thoughts to come as I dig deeper into them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back