Good In Ears for Drummers with an NRR of at Least 25dB?
Aug 17, 2011 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

The Closing

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for in ear headphones for playing along with music when I drum. They need a noise reduction rating of at least 25dB. The main priority is something that blocks out enough sound to keep the volume relatively low. Of course something that sounds halfway decent would be nice as well. Something in the $50 price range or less would be preferable.

So, any suggestions? 

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 8

Quote:
I'm looking for in ear headphones for playing along with music when I drum. They need a noise reduction rating of at least 25dB. The main priority is something that blocks out enough sound to keep the volume relatively low. Of course something that sounds halfway decent would be nice as well. Something in the $50 price range or less would be preferable.

So, any suggestions? 

ThinkSound TS02* (if you can get deeper insertion with them), ADDIEMs, UE 500*, UE 700, Etymtoic MC5*, Etymotic HF5*, Etymotic Ety-Kid5* (not yet available), Etymotic ER4P/PT (for your use).  Many Shure models also have 26+ dB isolation.  Any custom will provide around 26 dB isolation as well.  Etymotics (depending on tips used) range from 33-45 dB isolation which is the best in the list.  Choose your poison.

You're lucky I couldn't figure out what NRR meant, otherwise I might not have opened this thread :p

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 8
Thought that might come up. 
wink.gif
 The thing is I've had experience with multiple devices with NRR of 25dB and the rating has always seem accurate to me. Of course I'm most interested in hearing the opinions and experiences of those who use earbuds while drumming. Although I appreciate all the advice. 

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Thought that might come up. 
wink.gif
 The thing is I've had experience with multiple devices with NRR of 25dB and the rating has always seem accurate to me. Of course I'm most interested in hearing the opinions and experiences of those who use earbuds while drumming. Although I appreciate all the advice. 

The only ones I've seen rated 25+ and I've used are both UEs, the 500vi and the SuperFi 4.  They both give about the same amount of isolation.  The list goes like this with isolation for me so far:
Etymotic >> ADDIEMs >= ThinkSound TS02 == UE500vi.  I wouldn't know where the Shure models stand, sorry.  If you want to know any numbers, you can always email the company's technical services (not for repairs etc) or customer services and ask, they normally will tell you.  I was curious about the RE0s when I first purchased and was told around 20dB (which is a good ballpark estimate. 

Aug 18, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #7 of 8
How much have you spent on drum gear? it's worth spending some money on good In Ears Monitors, especially if you are gigging.
For $50, I don't really think you're going to get something very good. The universal with the best isolation seems to be the Etyomic ER-4, but as a drummer, you probably won't be impressed with the low end response. And they are above your budget anyway.

I've found that (as a pro musician, both guitarist, singer and drummer) that no universal I've used has stayed in place.
A pair of IEM's might provide good isolation at first, but after you've been rocking out, pounding the drums and sweating under stage lights, will they still be in place? or will they start sliding out? Personally, I'm sick to death of ramming my UE super.fi.5 back into my ears during gigs.

So I've ordered a pair of customs. I've spent lots of money on gear, and I think that $500 on a pair of IEM's that aren't going to come loose during a gig is a goo investment. I got a pair of 1964-T with soft canals.  Only a week or two to go. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back