Good In Ear Headphones for around $100?
Aug 5, 2013 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

solidsmeagol

New Head-Fier
I've been looking for a good pair of in ear headphones for some time now. I've been looking at
1)Klipsch image s4
2)Hifiman re 400
3)shure se215
Any impressions on these headphones would be nice. 
Plus, I would like other recommendations, especially if you own a pair for around $100.
Thanks.

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 2
The only pair on the list I've used was the Klipsch S4's. They've been my on the go earphones for the past year that which I've been pretty happy with. 
Sound Isolation/Bleed - 9/10
You won't have to worry about bleeding sound as these bleed next to nothing at painfully loud volumes. They also do an impressive job of sound isolation. When you aren't playing any audio, sounds around you will be very difficult to hear. When you are playing music, most sounds will be next to impossible to hear.
Sound (for its price range) - 8/10
I managed to get mine when brand new would've costed around 30-40 (for which I'd rate it also 9/10) , but it seems now the price has gone up.The mids and highs are detailed and the bass is nice and punchy. They're great all-around earphones that accommodate a variety of genres whether it be punk rock, death metal, edm, rap, or forms of classical.
Comfort - 8/10 
There isn't much to say here. The comfort on the s4 is pretty average imo. But I do admit that even after 12 hours of wearing them, I don't feel any fatigue. They come with a variety of eartips but I found the default eartips to be the best fit and seal for myself and my friends who've tried them. The other tips I struggled to get much of a seal at all and would often worry about them falling out. I'd like to think my ears are average sized but I have nothing to back that up with. They're fairly lightweight due to their plastic build so at times that I didn't play music, If it weren't for the sound isolation, I'd probably forget I'm wearing them.
Build Quality - 7.5/10
As mentioned previously, the frame of the earphone's themselves is made of mainly plastic. Despite that, I've never had a problem occur due to its plastic frame. I've dropped them on concrete a few times in the past but they've survived each drop without error. On the contrary, as with many earbuds, the wires started giving out. After a year of owning a pair, the wiring to the right earbud is starting to have problems. It was a good run and well worth the money for how much I payed, but I think you might want to consider better built headphones for the price range you have. Alternatively, there is a more rugged version of the S4 for sports and whatnot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back