Good headphones for students.
Jul 5, 2010 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Soundhead

New Head-Fier
          I am new to the head-fi scene and am looking into buying a new set of headphones after my most recent pair of skullcandys broke down. I originally was looking for a new pair of SC's but after looking around I decided to up my investment and get a true set of audiophile headphones. The only requirement is that they are around 200$, can be run off of an Ipod as well off of a computer, are closed, so no leakage, and go around the ear. I was hoping somebody on the forum would have a suggestion in the right direction based on these specifications. An amp, while not preferred is a viable option if needed.
         In terms of products I am already looking at the Audio Technica ATH M50, or the Ultrasone HFI-580. What do you think of those options?

Thank You for your responses.

Jul 5, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 19
The ESW9s are brilliant for just about any genre of music.

Jul 5, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 19
I haven't listened to the HFI-580 extensively, but you would probably like them quite a bit. If you're coming from Skullcandyland then you're probably looking for quite a bit of bass, and the HFI-580s won't disappoint. They also don't require an amp to sound good. Wish I could comment on the other options, but I have yet to hear them.

Good luck!

Jul 5, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 19
How good is the isolation on the ESW90's. I have heard that it isn't that great. Would it be fine for walking around campus and down town?

Another pair I have been looking into is the HFI 780s or even the Pro 750s. While a bit more expensive will the match up to the price. Especially for rock and roll.

Jul 6, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 19
IMO, Customs are the way to go. They have great comfort and are easy to drive and carry around. I've sold all my full size headphones due to the hassle of carrying them around when traveling etc.

Jul 6, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
IMO, Customs are the way to go. They have great comfort and are easy to drive and carry around. I've sold all my full size headphones due to the hassle of carrying them around when traveling etc.

the OP has a budget of $200, I can't see how customs will fit into that category re: student. lol.

Jul 6, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #9 of 19
Sennheiser HD 25 1 II. Indestructible, great sounding, small, nice looking, great isolating 'phones.
Read into them and see if they are for you. A few months ago I looked at finding the best portable Headphones and the HD 25's was what I came up with.

Jul 6, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
Sennheiser HD 25 1 II. Indestructible, great sounding, small, nice looking, great isolating 'phones.
Read into them and see if they are for you. A few months ago I looked at finding the best portable Headphones and the HD 25's was what I came up with.

Me, the same decision about portability and all-round ´phones for start...and of course, easy to replacement of any part of them, you could choose from various types of them, look in here: http://forums.dvdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=50863

Jul 6, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #11 of 19
Though it would take an extra week or two I would be able to up my budget to 300$. As such I have also seen the Phiaton MS400, Denon D2000 and Phiaton PS500. What can people say about them. Are they good for rock?

EDIT

Went to a guitar center by my house and tried out the M50's. Wow they were astounding and seem to be almost perfect for my needs. The best part is that you don't need a portable amp to power them. I just wish I could try out the Phiatons.

Jul 6, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #12 of 19
Ah my bad. In that case make sure you get an easy to drive headphones such as the M50's. Since you heard them and liked them a lot, I'd suggest to get that only. Denons are also closed and relatively easy to drive.

Jul 7, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #13 of 19
In terms of the Denons I have heard a few things. First I have heard that they lack isolation which was one of my bigger needs, but also that they need espensive amps to work to their fullest. This takes them off the list for now.

I have also been directed towards the Shure SRH 840s and am wondering how well these work without an amp? Is it worth the 50 extra bucks compared to the M50s?

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #15 of 19
Too bad, the ESW9s are really great... Can't wait to buy one for myself. :frowning2:

Depending on how you like your music delivered to your ears I'd recommend the Denon 1001s or 2000s. I had a very brief moment with the M50s, and personally didn't like them as much as the Sennheiser HD280s or the Alienware Ozoma 5s (Ultrasone 450).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back