Good headphones for smartphones
Jan 29, 2019 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Ahddub8888

New Head-Fier
Simply put, I want good headphones $150 or less. Over ear. And they'll be driven by my Samsung Note 9. No amp or DAC. Only used for maybe 30 minutes or so at a time on lunch breaks at work. It's a bonus if they're also good for at home on my PC (that has no sound card). So I need Low impedance, high efficiency, over ear headphones for under $150.

Or am I better off just getting a set of higher end truly wireless earbuds like the Samaung Gear IconX or the Sony WF1000X? My only issue with that is if I'm paying this kind of money I may as well buy some over ear cans that have better sound potential than some 6mm driver wireless earbuds.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 20
So I bought the HiFiMan Edition S. They're comfy, have decent sound and drive good from a phone. Great.
One huge drawback though. The sound leak is unbearable. I'll be listening in a small-ish break room that's quiet and with people in and out or sitting across the table. Even at low volumes it's just not gonna work for my situation :frowning2:
Probably going to return the Edition S for my money back because Amazon's awesome like that and get something else. I'm considering just springing for some Audio Technica MH50x's and dealing with the low power issue. My dad has a pair and I tried them out with my old phone with decent enough results.
That or just suck it up and deal with my AKG earbuds that came with my note 9 that I use as my daily driver already

Feb 14, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #4 of 20
Yes, they leak open or closed. I figured you were alone on your break, so that's my bad. If you're thinking about the 50s, I'd recommend the 40s instead. They have a cleaner sound, and get even better with a simple pad swap.

Feb 14, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 20
I looked at earbuds at first like the Samsung Gear IconX and the Sony WF1000X but I figured if I'm spending that kind of money I may as well get some real, comfy over ear kind. Currently I'm looking into the 32ohm beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO and seeing what sales or deals I can find. But AT MH50x and MH40x are on my radar too.
MHogg55, you really like the 40s better than 50s? I figured they'd be a straight improvement lol

Feb 15, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #7 of 20
The beyerdynamic with 32ohms, or the ATH MH40x/M50x. See image for stats on those.
Amazon has the AT sets for a decent price or am I pushing my Note 9 too far with a higher impedance than 32? Really dont want to have to buy an amp/dac for this :/

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190215-000543_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190215-000543_Chrome.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 0
Feb 15, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 20
The beyerdynamic with 32ohms, or the ATH MH40x/M50x. See image for stats on those.
Amazon has the AT sets for a decent price or am I pushing my Note 9 too far with a higher impedance than 32? Really dont want to have to buy an amp/dac for this :/
You need to look at both the headphones impedance and sensitivity. Ideally, you want the ohms 32 or below, and the sensitivity above 110. That's why I suggested the Edition S. Neither the 40 or the 50 will get as loud as the Edition S from your phone. And definitely not the DT770. Another headphone I would recommend is the Cleer DU high definition dual driver. It actually sounds quite nice for the cost, and it's easy to drive. If you can stretch your budget to 200 bucks, there are a lot more options.

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #11 of 20
The DT770's have a 32 Ohm version. Or did you mean because of their sensitivity/efficiency?
I talked to a Samsung rep on their site who said the Note 9 should be able to handle a impedance of 50 Ohms or less. The dt770, 40x and 50x are all under 50 so I should be good I think. Just gotta wait to find a good deal on any of them lol

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #12 of 20
The DT770's have a 32 Ohm version. Or did you mean because of their sensitivity/efficiency?
I talked to a Samsung rep on their site who said the Note 9 should be able to handle a impedance of 50 Ohms or less. The dt770, 40x and 50x are all under 50 so I should be good I think. Just gotta wait to find a good deal on any of them lol
The latter. Just because a phone can drive something, it doesn't mean to desirable listening levels.

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #13 of 20
True. There's a m50x bundle on Amazon right now that comes with a hard case, a wooden stand and a portable amp for I think $141. That's not bad, especially after I return the Edition S and get my $65 back lol

It's either that or the AT MH40x for $80 just the headphones alone

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #14 of 20
True. There's a m50x bundle on Amazon right now that comes with a hard case, a wooden stand and a portable amp for I think $141. That's not bad, especially after I return the Edition S and get my $65 back lol

It's either that or the AT MH40x for $80 just the headphones alone

that does seem like a pretty good deal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back