Good Headphones for rock.. EXCEPT Grado :D
Oct 7, 2006 at 11:11 AM Post #31 of 43
I'm loving my vintage electrets for rock right now. (see sig). They aren't the most detailed, but they have a really engaging sound, and the grado highs are tamed and less piercing. Nice.

Oct 8, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #32 of 43
I'm not impressed with the DT880 for (guitar) rock, specifically the older '03 version. Not weighty enough on the bottom end, although it's plenty for most other types of music. Maybe the '06 version fixes that, but I doubt it's that huge a difference.

Oct 8, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #33 of 43
Listening to TOOL on my KCS 75s right now. I continue to be amazed at just how good these headphones are for the price. I like my Sr80s for rock. I also like the HD280s when I want good sound without over emphisised bass. IMO all headphones are good for Rock. It's a matter of the listening area for me. I like HD280s when I've got the kids under foot. And I like IEMs when I'm on the move. Here in front of the computer, the KCS 75s are nice with their short cord. But when I want really killer impact, nothing but the Grados will do. Wish they had put a better cord on it. It sounds great, but hangs like a sore... umm, well, I'll just skip the simile for now.
600smile.gif

Oct 8, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #34 of 43
i think there is no real substitute for grado impact but i do think that rock can sound good on most good headphones. Grados are the way to go for heavy impact and nothing esle does half as well in the respective pricepoints.

Oct 8, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #35 of 43
IMO, the L3000 is the best headphone for rock. The Qualia 010 is quite close, but with a very different perspective. A true rock fan should have both
biggrin.gif

For a bit more affordable & current production headphones, I like the JVC DX1000 best with rock (IMO the best in-production cans). Heh, I just never was a huge fan of current Grados for rock. I think the HF-1 was awesomeness at $200, but the others mentioned above are better (albeit for much more money).

Oct 8, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #36 of 43
If there were no Grados, here are a few things to keep in mind...

You need something with impact and decently speedy dynamics. To me, that rules out the DT880, HD650, and K701.

I'd look to the L3000 if I could find one or afford one, then the DT990 or DT770. Right now, I adore the Etymotic ER4P with rock... it renders electic guitar really nicely. The K1000 is really cool too, but I didn't dig what it did with guitar as much.

I was really displeased with the DT880 and rock. Too distant, no impact.

Oct 8, 2006 at 10:31 AM Post #37 of 43
A well loved Grado/non-Grado would be the Alessandro MS2i, These guys are great with rock but go on to do some fabulous stuff with most every other type of music well into the classical range!

Certainly worth consideration!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2006 at 11:33 AM Post #39 of 43
Why do people keep mentioning bass? Rock isn't centered on bass, but on mids. Hip hop, funk, a lot of dance music, and much electronica really need strong bass. Rock as a genre does not. Sure there are exceptions, but as long as you get a solid bass guitar and occasional lower drums, you're generally set with rock. On the other hand, the key instruments of rock, vocals and guitars, are mids mids mids.

Of course there's also the issue of punchiness (i.e., impact given by quickness and not by sheer bass) being more valuable than soundstage for rock, which is why it makes Grados shine: they're probably the fastest headphones available at most price points.

For mids if not for punchiness, the K240. For punchiness, the DT531. On the cheap end, I'd go MB Quart 55x (later renamed/updated as the 240) for rock.

Oct 8, 2006 at 11:36 AM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
The Alessandro is essentially still a Grado in terms of sound signature and physics.

Right you are! As a matter of fact I just mentioned that in the MS-1 fanclub thread!

They are very similar, but they have been neutraled up a bit thanks to Georges requirements. So they do have a slightly different presentation!

Thought they may be worth mentioning though as a variation on a theme.

Oct 8, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega
Why do people keep mentioning bass? Rock isn't centered on bass, but on mids. Hip hop, funk, a lot of dance music, and much electronica really need strong bass. Rock as a genre does not. Sure there are exceptions, but as long as you get a solid bass guitar and occasional lower drums, you're generally set with rock. On the other hand, the key instruments of rock, vocals and guitars, are mids mids mids.

Of course there's also the issue of punchiness (i.e., impact given by quickness and not by sheer bass) being more valuable than soundstage for rock, which is why it makes Grados shine: they're probably the fastest headphones available at most price points.

For mids if not for punchiness, the K240. For punchiness, the DT531. On the cheap end, I'd go MB Quart 55x (later renamed/updated as the 240) for rock.

Bass and kickdrum sets the makes the rhythm in most rock.. THIS is what makes rock music fun
Jazz needs highs because the basic rhythm is set by the hats, and so on
And *IMO* what makes grados so great for rock is actually the lower mids

Oct 8, 2006 at 12:21 PM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

Bass and kickdrum sets the makes the rhythm in most rock.. THIS is what makes rock music fun
Jazz needs highs because the basic rhythm is set by the hats, and so on
And *IMO* what makes grados so great for rock is actually the lower mids

Agreed and disagreed. Yes, bass (both drums and guitar) are important in rock music, but the moment it gets dominance and the song is ruined. Rock musics bass doesnt require deep and boomy bass what some "rock" headphones seem to offer, it requires tight fast slam. Bass in rock is like supporting "bones" to actual "flesh", meaning patterning guitars and vocals, the stuff that is doing the actual working.
If one wants feet tapping rythm only, might aswell listen tribal drum music. (which is kinda cool though)

Thats atleast my opinion.

Oct 8, 2006 at 12:34 PM Post #43 of 43
Sorry, i wasn't implying boomy bass or anything like that
biggrin.gif

I'm just saying that good bass (tight and accurate at the amount that the user likes) usually intensifies rock music and makes it 'fun'
Although music without bass guitar or drums is nice in a different way, not many of it is actually bounce around fun
Think about pearl jam or metallica or whatever you listen to's concert... bass pounding into your chest actually makes the audience instantly get into the music
Although when the bassist or drummer decides to be louder than everyone else (they like to do that) in one of my band's gigs people would come up to me after my band played and say.. 'It was good, but we couldn't hear much because the bass (or drums) was too loud'
It's hard to strike a balance huh?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back