Good headphones for movies, music and a little of gaming.
Sep 6, 2011 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

bettyfromhell

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good pair of headphones that are good for movies, electronic music (need good bass) and a little gaming.
I'm not an audiophile, I'm just looking for some good headphones for those uses.
I'll plug my headphones to my computer, I have a good sound card.
Budget 120 euros.

Reading this forum I could see that nobody adviced 5.1 /7.1 headphones for movies, I'm not sure why though..

Maybe a closed design pair of headphones is better for movies, as it makes the experience more immersive? I know this would sacrifice sound quality, but I'm not an audiophile, so, if there is not a big difference, close design cans can be good too.

Thanks for the advices.

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 20
The Sennheiser hD555/558's are pretty good for electronica with good bass (if a little muddy).  They work well for gaming, not as well as the ad700's, but enjoyable.  I can see them being very good for movies.

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #5 of 20
What sound card are you using now?
Open headphones usually have less bass, but usually have better sound stage and more "clear" sounding.
First person shooters games seem to go better with open headphones,
easier to hear someone snicking up on you.
To me the light bass of the open headphones leave something missing from movies
and music that needs a good thump to sound good.
Closed headphones usually have more bass and block out outside noise.
and their bass adds fullness to sound.
Quality (pricey) stereo headphone are considered better the 5.1 headphones.
I think most people on this forum would prefer to use quality headphone with something like Dolby Headphone 5.1 or Creative Labs CMSS 3D over any "5.1" headphone.

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #6 of 20
I'll let the rest of head-fi comment as they have way more knowledge than I do, but from my understanding, open headphones can produce a more natural sound by not being restricted in a closed space.

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #7 of 20
QUOTE: "What sound card are you using now?
Open headphones usually have less bass, but usually have better sound stage and more "clear" sounding.
I think most people on this forum would prefer to use quality headphone with something like Dolby Headphone 5.1 or Creative Labs CMSS 3D over any "5.1" headphone.
Sound card: Creative SupremeFX X-Fi. If not good it is at least decent." QUOTE

In that case I think a stereo closed design pair of headphones would be more suitable for my use.

What about Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro /80 ohms ? I read good things about it.

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #8 of 20

Quote:
What sound card are you using now?

In that case I think a stereo closed design pair of headphones would be more suitable for my use.

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #10 of 20

Quote:
QUOTE: "What sound card are you using now?
Sound card: Creative SupremeFX X-Fi. If not good it is at least decent." QUOTE

Nice headphones, you sometimes can get a good price on refurbs from Beyerdynamics USA eBay site "bd-usa".
They are very bassy, in a nice way, a headphone amplifier brings out the best in them.
Also some like them for gaming.

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
Nice headphones, you sometimes can get a good price on refurbs from Beyerdynamics USA eBay site "bd-usa".
They are very bassy, in a nice way, a headphone amplifier brings out the best in them.
Also some like them for gaming.

Eh, too bad I live in italy! 

Well it's decided then,  Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro/80 ohms seems to be the one for me. Or do you have other advices? (closed design, stereo, good sound, good bass, around 120euros, comfy)

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #13 of 20

Quote:

Eh, too bad I live in italy! 

Well it's decided then,  Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro/80 ohms seems to be the one for me. Or do you have other advices? (closed design, stereo, good sound, good bass, around 120euros, comfy)

I'd say your decision rests on if you want open backs or closed backs.....personal choice....but I will say this, despite being open backed the bass on the DT 990 Pro is definitely not lacking at all, and yet with them being open backed the sound is so clear and not boxed in - which is an inherent issue with a lot of closed back headphones.

That being said, if you want closed backs then the DT 770 pro there would be ideal for you given your needs and budget, likewise I'd say for the DT 990 pro if you want open backs....either way you won't go wrong with either in the end.

Sep 7, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #14 of 20
Ok, thank you all very much, you have been of great help!
smile.gif

Sep 7, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #15 of 20

Quote:
I'm looking for a good pair of headphones that are good for movies, electronic music (need good bass) and a little gaming.
I'm not an audiophile, I'm just looking for some good headphones for those uses.
I'll plug my headphones to my computer, I have a good sound card.
Budget 120 euros.

Reading this forum I could see that nobody adviced 5.1 /7.1 headphones for movies, I'm not sure why though..

Maybe a closed design pair of headphones is better for movies, as it makes the experience more immersive? I know this would sacrifice sound quality, but I'm not an audiophile, so, if there is not a big difference, close design cans can be good too.

Thanks for the advices.

Heya,

BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro
KRK KNS 8400
Ultrasone HFI 580
Shure SRH840
Fischer Audio FA-003
Denon D1100

Check 'em out.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back