Good cigarettes?
Jul 13, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #91 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
has anyone tried the nat sherman black & gold?

I am put off by that one, because both the name and it's look seem gimmicky to me. Perhaps I'm wrong though?

EDIT:
I feel stupid asking this but I'd like to verify that that I am smoking properly. After you inhale from the cigarette, are you supposed to then inhale deeper to take the smoke in even further? Every time I start to try this, I cough and get very watery eyed, similar to taking water down the wrong pipe. I only ask because I have yet to experience any form of buzz from smoking a cigarette, and I've read reviews of the MCD that say it has quite a strong buzz for a filtered cigarette.

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #92 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am put off by that one, because both the name and it's look seem gimmicky to me. Perhaps I'm wrong though?

EDIT:
I feel stupid asking this but I'd like to verify that that I am smoking properly. After you inhale from the cigarette, are you supposed to then inhale deeper to take the smoke in even further? Every time I start to try this, I cough and get very watery eyed, similar to taking water down the wrong pipe. I only ask because I have yet to experience any form of buzz from smoking a cigarette, and I've read reviews of the MCD that say it has quite a strong buzz for a filtered cigarette.

Yep, the cough and watery eyed sensation sounds about right for the first few times you get it in the lungs.

I think you're sucking more than inhaling... you do need to inhale deep, and if you're a fresh smoker, you should feel a little lightheaded.

edit: the easiest way to do this if you're not used to inhaling that deep is to inhale a second time after you've got the smoke in your mouth. You just gotta work on inhaling reeeeeeally deep while taking a drag... also, you should really feel it in your chest, either the hot smoke, or the cool menthol. Once you've got this motion down, it's second nature, and you're halfway on your way to cancer!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #93 of 113
rolleyes.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #94 of 113
wow 7 pages and no love for Winston?? i used to smoke marb 27, mild, red, light, camel turkish gold..recently moved to winston, the regular ones are harsh but the light ones are really good. not sure if its me but i swear they burn longer than any marlboro ive smoked..

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #95 of 113
I'd forgotten about Winston - back soon after I 'discovered' American cigarettes, they were fairly easily obtainable here. Not bad. But then I found L&M, and after them Lark (loved Lark, but sooo hard to find a pack) & Winston got left behind.

And what were those other ones I tried for awhile...Chesterfield! Originally marketed (apparently) as a woman's brand IIRC. Another US brand we used to get pretty easily here...and More, but the less said about them...

So, no love for the sheer teen pose factor that was Sobranie Cocktails? lol...

Jul 15, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #97 of 113
Quote:

I'd like to know what your opinions are on good cigarettes. I speak only of easily attainable cigarettes though (like at CVS, 7-Eleven, Walgreens, etc). When I say good I mean not harsh and decent tasting.

Please do not post about not smoking. I am well aware of the health problems associated with smoking.

all those sold everywhere are crap.

Get some good decent chinese cigarettes like chunghwa and you will never smoke any American garbage. Reputable chinese cigarettes are the best I've tasted but they are pretty hard to find and quite expensive.

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #98 of 113
Well I've just learned some disconcerting information. Almost all cigarettes in America are now required to be "Fire Safe". A few states still don't have this requirement, such as North Carolina I believe, but in a year or two it will be federal law.

Currently in Illinois, all you can get are fire safe cigarettes, and all the nat shermans I have are ineed fire safe.

This may sound like a good thing, until you know how they are classified as fire safe.

Fire Safe cigarettes have lines of EVA [size=xx-small](ethylene vinyl acetate; or more commonly known as plastic)[/size] on the rolling paper, and when the burning tobacco reaches these lines, it will go out, unless you take frequent hits.

The bigger issue here, is most of us (soon all of us) are now legally required to smoke burning plastic vapors with our cigarettes.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
How is this not illegal??! People are make a big enough stink about carcinogens that already exist in tobacco smoke, so what do they do??! They force into law that burning plastic vapors must also be in our smoke as well!?

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #99 of 113
So the lines of EVA are located near the end of the cig correct? I usually stop before then. Don't have to worry about that with cigars atleast. Hemingway short story cigars are the bomb.

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #100 of 113
Not an issue with cigars (yet). But no, the EVA bands go the entire length of the rolling paper. They are clearly visible on my Nat Sherman Classics and Camel Turkish Golds. You can tell for sure if your cigarettes are fire safe, because the bar code on the cigarette pack will have FSC stamped on it.

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #101 of 113
interesting. I want to go pick up a pack of djarums to see if they have this fire safe feature too... :\

Jul 15, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #102 of 113
I'm surprised more people aren't commenting on this...

What's worse, I would consider rolling my own cigarettes with good non-fsc paper, but pretty soon, when the PACT Act of 2009 (S.1147) passes the senate, tobacco will be made illegal to mail, which will severely limit my options of obtaining quality cigarette tobacco.

Also I have tried smoking two cigars and OMG I got sick both times and now the taste of plain tobacco makes me nauseous, the only thing I can smoke now without being reminded of the terrible experience are the Nat Sherman Classic Menthols... which are of course FSC...

Jul 15, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #103 of 113
Quote:

I'm surprised more people aren't commenting on this...

What's worse, I would consider rolling my own cigarettes with good non-fsc paper, but pretty soon, when the PACT Act of 2009 (S.1147) passes the senate, tobacco will be made illegal to mail, which will severely limit my options of obtaining quality cigarette tobacco.

Also I have tried smoking two cigars and OMG I got sick both times and now the taste of plain tobacco makes me nauseous, the only thing I can smoke now without being reminded of the terrible experience are the Nat Sherman Classic Menthols... which are of course FSC...

You didn't inhale the cigars, did you? You smoke cigars different from a cigarette. You kind of just puff on a cigar. I got to try a Cuban cigar once and it didn't do to much for me. Got kind of boring just puffing.

Due to an ulcer, I've completely given up cigarettes. Only got to smoke 3 of my MCD lights. They were quite good while it lasted but very easy for me to completely stop. I was told to avoid caffeine and tobacco. Also have to quit drinking for a little while but will casually drink again as soon as I am able to.

Jul 15, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #104 of 113
I did not inhale the cigar. I may have slipped up a few times on the first one, but on the second, I made absolute sure to keep the smoke only in my mouth. Also do you mean a stomach ulcer? How would cigarettes aggravate that?

I'd really like to hear more on this whole burning plastic vapor issue, as well...

Jul 15, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #105 of 113
Quote:

I did not inhale the cigar. I may have slipped up a few times on the first one, but on the second, I made absolute sure to keep the smoke only in my mouth. Also do you mean a stomach ulcer? How would cigarettes aggravate that?

They just said it was a stimulant and to avoid it. They can't cause an ulcer though. Since I don't really smoke much anyway, I might as well follow their advice.

I know you want to avoid health issues in this thread but since you ask, if found this:

Quote:

Research has shown that people who smoke cigarettes are more likely to develop an ulcer. If people with an ulcer keep smoking, their ulcer may not heal; or it may take longer than usual to heal. People have a better chance of their ulcer healing if they stop smoking compared to treating their ulcer with medication while still smoking. Smoking also increases people’s risk of infection from a bacterium called Helicobacter pylori and increases the risk of ulceration from alcohol and over-the-counter pain relievers.

from this site: Smoking and Your Digestive System

Users who are viewing this thread

Back