Good choice for an Audio newbie?
Jan 27, 2011 at 6:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Djini

New Head-Fier
I've moved off an iPhone 3GS to a HTC Desire HD and thought I'd get some new in-ears to replace my CX300 II and my Sony MDR-EX75SL just to make a change and maybe get something a bit better.

I don't have lots of money to throw at this for now - you might see me in the trade threads here later but for now I've ordered a new set of in-ears, and an Amp to go with it.

Reading through some of the threads here led me to order some BrainWavz M2, and they threw in a Fiio E5 amp to go with it (Thanks MP4nation!).

Am I likely to hear a difference, or have I just bought something that is basically what I have anyway? the Desire HD is almost always at maximum volume - although they are mainly used for the commute on the underground so I'm thinkking the amp will come in useful.

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 4
The m2's are much better than the other 2 headphones that you have previously owned if that's what you are asking.  So yes, you should hear a difference.  Your Desire HD must have a pretty weak amp if you need to have it at max volume with those headphones.  Neither my blackberry, nokia phone, or any of my media players require anywhere near max volume to drive earphones similar to those to an audible level.  It might be that you're getting a bad seal, but M2's shouldn't be hard to fit correctly.

Jan 28, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the reply. The amp was a give-away when I bought the BrainWavzs, but I am thinking the HTC DHD isn't pushing enough out, and the Fiio will help with that.

Is there a way to tell if there is not enough juice being pumped just by listening?

Jan 28, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #4 of 4
If your headphones sound funny and are known to have a high impedance or are hard to drive then you will need an amp.  If your player doesn't even provide enough power to drive your headphones to listenable volumes then that is a serious problem.  There are lots of players that are capable of driving certain headphones to very listenable volumes but still don't have enough juice to actually run then, so the sound will just be weird.  The m2's should be easy to drive though.  I would say that for m2's, you definitely shouldn't have to have your volume up past 60% in a quiet environment.  Most players should be able to at 1/4th to 1/2 of max volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back