Good Amps for Work/Office with ATH-AD900?
Feb 14, 2011 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Inkmo

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,  long time no post.  I haven't even been lurking, so I'll try and make this quick.

I've recently started my first job where I'm in an office at a desk all day and have been listening to my AD900s out of my computer lineout.  This is less than ideal and it's where I spend a majority of my time listening to music during the week.  I've never really thought about getting an amp because my home receiver will drive just about anything, so this is all sort of new to me.

Anyway, I was wondering if you other Audio Technica guys might have amp suggestions for the 900.. or if there is something else I should do to make a good listening situation at work (I don't know, like a base-station thing for my ipod or fuze with a headphone out...).  Guy at the audio shop I talked to yesterday was convinced all I needed was an amp.

And in case it comes up, I assume I can't change the soundcard in my computer.

p.s., if there's a really killer amp combo with a different can that you know, mention it.  It wouldn't kill me to buy something nice and closed in the future since I can usually hear my coworkers (they can't hear me though...)

Thanks!

Feb 14, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 5
I really like the FiiO E7 through LOD from my iPod for my Ad900. It's added slight clarity and a slightly more profound soundstage. The bass is a bit more thumping, especially with bass boost on 1. I didn't notice much at first until I did some AB tests and definitely notice it's a bit better in every aspect. I'm not sure if it's the best, but I'm satisfied. I like that I can use it for portable use as well as USB, and the upgrade potential with the E9 makes me happy.

Feb 14, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 5
It looks pretty cool.  Also, it looks like I could hook it up to one of the compy's USB ports...

Too bad the E9 isn't the same since it looks like it would be a little better accommodated to living on a desk.

Feb 15, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 5
So the E9 can do usb?  I'll have to go and read up!  

Giving new thought to maybe getting a decent pair of closed cans for the office.  Found out just now that, yes, my coworkers can hear me :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back