Good amp for the AKG k701/2 and/or DT 880?
Jan 5, 2011 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Gorgatron

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys. So I really want the k701, k702, and the dt 880. but I may go with the dt 880 first and then the k702. I've been looking at the fiio e9 and possibly the combo with the e7. How well do the two work together? Is it worth those 2 at $200~? If not I'm open to amp suggestions.

Jan 5, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 16
The E7/e9 combo is a really good start (also was my first amp/dac combo )

The amp is very neutral, meaning it will say true to the
headphone (so if the headphone is bright, its gonna sound bright)

Alot of people on the forums say its worth it such the price, $200 for a Amp/Dac

FWIR, the E9 is powerful enough to power the AKG k7XX and the Beyer DT series

From what I hear , the DT 880 works well with the E9, its a more "neutral" phone than the DT 990,
which have more bass and peaking highs

With the AFK, not so sure, havent really thought about them
Though , when properly amp, they have an amazing soundstage

Sry, I only could say what I know

Jan 5, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 16

Quote:
The E7/e9 combo is a really good start (also was my first amp/dac combo )

The amp is very neutral, meaning it will say true to the
headphone (so if the headphone is bright, its gonna sound bright)

Alot of people on the forums say its worth it such the price, $200 for a Amp/Dac

FWIR, the E9 is powerful enough to power the AKG k7XX and the Beyer DT series

From what I hear , the DT 880 works well with the E9, its a more "neutral" phone than the DT 990,
which have more bass and peaking highs

With the AFK, not so sure, havent really thought about them
Though , when properly amp, they have an amazing soundstage

Sry, I only could say what I know

Thanks for your input. I just have the ad700 and m50 right now. I really want the k702 (the looks attracted to me, but the size does now) And I recently started looking at how DAC's and amps work and it interests me.

Jan 5, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #4 of 16
I am getting ready to grab a pair of K701's and my plans are to get an E9 to run them with. I won't be getting the E7 since I already have a DAC. Until I get the E9 I'll run them off my Little Dot 1+. Not ideal, but I am sure much better than no amp. I read a bunch of reviews that say the E9 and K701/2 pair up nicely together. For a little over $100...I figure it is a pretty safe buy and from the looks of it...FiiO has really good service too. 

Jan 5, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
I am getting ready to grab a pair of K701's and my plans are to get an E9 to run them with. I won't be getting the E7 since I already have a DAC. Until I get the E9 I'll run them off my Little Dot 1+. Not ideal, but I am sure much better than no amp. I read a bunch of reviews that say the E9 and K701/2 pair up nicely together. For a little over $100...I figure it is a pretty safe buy and from the looks of it...FiiO has really good service too. 

I see. I don't know wheter to get the k701/2 or the dt 880 and which ohms version of it. I do know eventually I want all 3. I do not have a DAC but i was thinking either that nb-12 or FUN would look good if I don't get the e9/79 combo. Someone in a different thread gave this link for the combo.

http://www.miccastore.com/fiio-desktop-headphone-amplifier-black-p-42.html?osCsid=206b8c7a13d2f92969bb0d211b6f1349

It looks really good and I may just buy it unless others have a reason against it.

Jan 5, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #6 of 16
For $200 you are probably better off with the NFB-12. Better DAC and AMP, unless you need the portability of the E7.

Quote:
Quote:

I see. I don't know wheter to get the k701/2 or the dt 880 and which ohms version of it. I do know eventually I want all 3. I do not have a DAC but i was thinking either that nb-12 or FUN would look good if I don't get the e9/79 combo. Someone in a different thread gave this link for the combo.

http://www.miccastore.com/fiio-desktop-headphone-amplifier-black-p-42.html?osCsid=206b8c7a13d2f92969bb0d211b6f1349

It looks really good and I may just buy it unless others have a reason against it.

Jan 5, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
For $200 you are probably better off with the NFB-12. Better DAC and AMP, unless you need the portability of the E7.

Quote:
Quote:

I don't really need portability, the thought of the e7 for portable use is nice but I probably wouldn't use it. Where can I buy the NFB-12? And do I get version B?

Jan 5, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #8 of 16
NFB-12 only has one version. Here is how you purchase - http://www.audio-gd.com/PurchaseEN.htm

Keep in mind, a Chinese holiday is starting soon, so I don't think any new orders will ship until Feb 15th, but they are offering a small discount for ordering now.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I don't really need portability, the thought of the e7 for portable use is nice but I probably wouldn't use it. Where can I buy the NFB-12? And do I get version B?

Jan 5, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
NFB-12 only has one version. Here is how you purchase - http://www.audio-gd.com/PurchaseEN.htm

Keep in mind, a Chinese holiday is starting soon, so I don't think any new orders will ship until Feb 15th, but they are offering a small discount for ordering now.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

How much of a discount?

Jan 5, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #10 of 16
Hi i want to purchase next month a pair of akg 701 and i need an amp also for the grado sr 125i it's very interesting this NFB-12 you think can drive both my headphones?. ArmandHammer remember you suggest me to purchase the little dot 1+?  but now i want to buy also a pair of 701 so i'm very confused. Thanks

Jan 23, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #11 of 16
From their website:

[size=small]We accept pre-orders and shipping begin 15th Feb.[/size]
[size=small]Place pre-order in Jan. can get discounts.[/size]
[size=x-small]Pre-order one gear, get 5% off.[/size]
[size=x-small]Pre-order two set gears, get 10% off.[/size]

http://www.audio-gd.com/Affiche-EN.htm

Jan 23, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #12 of 16
Yeah, I'm getting the NFB-12 too.
It sucks it's delayed until February 15... How long is this chinese holiday?
Hopefully it works well with the 701/2, It says on their site that it was designed with those headphones as well as a couple more.

Jan 23, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #13 of 16
Which DT880 are you talking about? 32 ohms? 250 ohms? or 600 ohms?

The amping requirement for 32 ohms and 600 ohms is different. You want amp which can supply enough current for 32 ohms and large voltage swing for 600 ohms.

Jan 23, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #14 of 16
I have K701 and DT990 600 OHM
I run the E7/E9 setup and they sound fine
I also have an Audio GD-Sparrow they all work
great for all of my headphones!:)

Jan 23, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #15 of 16
I know it's probably not in your budget, but I tell you what... I think you're better off buying better source and amplification gear that will do the most justice for your headphones. I didn't really have the money to buy my La Figaro 332c (cousin of the Darkvoice 332), but I went with it anyways because I knew that I wanted to eventually own the Senn HD650s, Beyer DT880 250 ohm version, and the AKG701s without having to upgrade my gear. This tube amp (332c) in conjunction with an AMB Gamma-2 DAC is simply amazing with all three headphones. From my research I found that it would provide enough juice with all three and then some. I think the amp cost me $450 shipped from China. The DAC was around $200 to build and I had some basic soldering skills. At first, I skipped the DAC and just went with the amp. Was it worth it in the end for the DAC? Definitely, but I went with what I could barely stomach money wise.

There are other options like buying a used Darkvoice 332 or it's younger brother the 336. La Figaro also makes the 336 as well. As far as DAC goes... you could try buying a used Gamma-1 DAC for around $100 or build one for around $140. I think I've seen the Gamma-2 in the for sale forums for around $300 used. So as you can see you have a lot of options. My take is that why buy gear then get upgradeitus really quickly? Just buy solid gear... then take longer to upgrade.

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back