Goldring NS1000 Noise Reduction Headphones.
Feb 28, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #46 of 51
Hey

Ive had a pair of these for a few months now but managed to lose the cable that came with it. It is proving to be a pain to get a new one as it seems the ends of the cable are slimmer than others i have lying around....has anyone found another cable that will fit in the headphone socket? goldring were useless. sent them an email, they said they dont sell the cable separately and cant help me!!

Looks like Goldring have upped their customer service recently, bought the NS1000 just before Christmas from Play (£50) and the cable that came with it had a lose conection, one email to Goldring and the next day a brand new cable turned up! No questions about how long I had had the headphones or where they were bought from!

I for one am loving the NS1000s with my Fiio E7 and Rockboxed iPod.

Mar 3, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #47 of 51
I bought these and they are much worse if you compare them with any Sennheiser HD500 range and above.

However, because the bass is heavily exaggerated they do very well with a laptop without any external amplifier. In this case the sound becomes like if you had an amplifier (a bad one). If you are traveling around without any amplifier, these will do fine.

Also at work these will do well, if you want to listen to music directly from your workstation.

These are not high end headphones, far from it. The sound is muffled and the sound feels unnatural.

In NS mode you have to reduce the high frequencies somewhat since it overpowers all other.

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #48 of 51

Quote:
I bought these and they are much worse if you compare them with any Sennheiser HD500 range and above.

However, because the bass is heavily exaggerated they do very well with a laptop without any external amplifier. In this case the sound becomes like if you had an amplifier (a bad one). If you are traveling around without any amplifier, these will do fine.

Also at work these will do well, if you want to listen to music directly from your workstation.

These are not high end headphones, far from it. The sound is muffled and the sound feels unnatural.

In NS mode you have to reduce the high frequencies somewhat since it overpowers all other.

LOl they kick every other headphones ass £120 and under especially when used the e 5 amp lmao at worse than senn 500 and above absolutely not true

Oct 31, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #49 of 51
Nov 5, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #50 of 51
Ok, here comes my first contribution to Head-Fi...

Yesterday I went to Superfi.co.uk on Camnden (London UK) 95% sure I am buying the Goldring NS1000. Unfortunately, that wasn't what happened there...

Still remembering the sound purity of AKGs which they didn't have (namely AKG K240), I picked up teh Sennheisers PXC 450 as reference cans. Well one should probably expect that, looking at the price tags, but the reviews here were so much promising for the Goldrings... I've switched off all audio extras with 96kHz/24bit sampling in Win 7, used Foobar2000 and some FLAC formats (I know these were from a CD with 44kHz and 16bit sampling but...). I also borrowed their USB DAC+amp by Arcam (this one: http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-10107-arcam-rpac-usb-digital-to-analogue-converter-headphone-amplifier.aspx ).

Let me tell you shortly:
- the USB DAC+Amp simply does have effect, but not that much I was expecting; the sound was somewhat more dynamic, a tiny little bit cleaner, but not a mahoosive difference; definitely worth having, once someone pays ~£100 for the cans, but this particular one is fro £150; So I will take the risk and get FiiO E10 for just £60 (I don't beleive E7 would provide as clean and dynamic sound)
- first I tried the Goldrings... the first impression was "not bad at all; but then I noticed the basses are way too big strong (I used it on my own FLAC sounds by System of a Down, Balzar (jazz) and Diana Krall so I knew these sound samples); then I noticed something eve worse: the highs were barely noticeable - like someone said here, it was like wearing the cans over a hat
- good thing, by ears fit in Golding cans without problems, perhaps mine ears aren't too big...
- tried them with active NR on-off, plugged directly to laptop and to the DAC+amp, the DAC helped but indeed the basses were still too strong and the high tones were still barely recognizable.

Ok, then I tried on the Sennheisers. YESSSSS That was the sound I was looking for! Plus the function "talk through" really does work! They do have significantly different design in all aspects and the design works much better in all the aspects. Crystal clear sound! And not much worse without the DAC+amp!

Conclusion:
- Goldrings are not terribly bad, for the price tag the quality is probably appropriate, but in that price range, I'd chose AKG K121 or similar (on thomann.de) and accept the cons of having semi-open cans, but I'd have crystal clear sound
- Sennheisers stand for the price tag; they have no negative side except the price tag

If someone says again the Goldrings play hi-end league, I'd kick his balls. They are definitely better than the cheap *****, but nothing I'd want to listen to high quality audio!

As the DAC+amp in Superfi costs £150, the DAC with Goldrings would cost me approx the same as just the Sennheisers without DAC, but the sound wouldn't be halfway the Sennheisers. 'nuf said! But of course I'd be getting (FiiO E10) USB DAC+amp indeed! but first the Sennheisers...

RESULT:
So now instead of having new cans, I am waiting for the payday to get me the Sennheisers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back