Goldring NS1000 Noise Reduction Headphones.
Sep 3, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #16 of 51
I just got a pair of these at the £50 price. Only took 2 years. Not too bad. The Triport style earcups which are just that bit too small for proper sized ears is my only complaint thusfar.

I'm getting on a plane soon so I'll see how they cope in the field.

Sep 3, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #17 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Triport style earcups which are just that bit too small for proper sized ears is my only complaint thusfar.

I did find that my earlobes felt funny after wearing them for the first few months. Got used to it now though.

Nice to see someone else on here with a set. I was getting lonely.

Edit: Duggeh - I would be interested in hearing your opinion on what would be a significant step up SQ wise for a standard closed headphone once you've had time to get some listening in.

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #18 of 51
Just found out that the Panasonic RP-HC500E-S appears to be identical (minor cosmetic differences aside) to the NS1000s:

6342-IMG0804s.jpg

Panasonic RP-HC500E-S Review - MP3 Reviews - TrustedReviews

Both are essentially the same model as Phitek's Blackbox M10 (which I already knew about)

Edit: Could be wrong on that front. The NS1000 and RP-HC500E-S Specs look rather different on paper: 32 ohms on the panasonic, while 100 (ANR off) and 300 (ANR on) are quoted for the Goldrings.
http://www.goldring.co.uk/headphones/ns1000.htm http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...trackInfo=true

Phitek_Blackbox_M_53882artw.jpg

High-tech headphones take noise out of sound - The Globe and Mail

Reviews of both headphones below the images.

As previously mentioned, Phitek also makes Audio Technica ATH ANC7 (= Phitek Blackbox M14) and Creative Aurvana X-Fi noise cancelling headphones. Wonder if we can turn up a few more?

Sep 7, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #19 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a pair of these at the £50 price.

Back up to £120 on play.com. You just got them in time.

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #22 of 51
Not really a fair comparison.

The Goldrings are a closed design with active noise cancelling.

Denons are a non noise cancelling design.

If you don't need the Noise cancelling then the Denon or another headphone would be the option.

Conks

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by conkerman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really a fair comparison.

The Goldrings are a closed design with active noise cancelling.

Denons are a non noise cancelling design.

If you don't need the Noise cancelling then the Denon or another headphone would be the option.

Conks

I already have the denons, so I guess even at £50 the Goldrings wont be an improvement. Noise reduction isnt really a 'must' as I will be using them at home. thanks for the advice conks

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #24 of 51
Unless you need the noise cancelling. Get a pair of DR-50 and a pair of SFI orthodynamic drivers to put in them for less money. Really.

Nov 24, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #25 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kics_Repins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow thanks for the info, are these an improvement on the Denon d1001?

If the Denon D1001 are as similar to the Creative Aurvana Live! as various people have been saying (same OEM model aparrently), the NS1000 are better.

I bought a set of CAL!s and had a few days worth of listening against the NS1000s. The NS1000s (noise cancelling on) were more detailed, better controlled throughout the frequency range and with greater extension into both bass and treble frequencies. With noise cancelling off the two were much closer but I would still give the edge to the NS1000s (but see the following comments). The CAL!s were more comfortable though.

The NS1000s are not without their problems. In NC mode there is audible hiss. In passive mode the bass is badly controlled and it overwhelms the other frequencies. This is rather amp dependent. A FiiO e5 or Victor SU-DH1 sound OK but most other amps (including more expensive ones) and sources I've tried fail to bring it under control. They sound awful in passive mode straight out of various soundcards or through my AV amp.

Dec 1, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #27 of 51
Nope - mine's pretty firm.

Dec 5, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #29 of 51
Ordered a set yesterday, still £49.99 on Play.com with free delivery and no voucher code needed.

Dec 5, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #30 of 51
Someone commented on another forum that the Xonar Essence ST's onboard amp does a very good job of driving these in passive mode, when the gain is set to max. Sound seems to be on par with NC mode, finally getting that bloated bass under crontrol.

I've found they can be pretty picky with amps once you turn the noise cancelling off. My SU-DH1 seems to do a better job than any of my other amps.

Anyone else care to recommend an amp that has good synergy in passive mode?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back