Goldring GX200 Impressions thread
Feb 22, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shauntell47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no, no way near the sibilance you get with Audio-Technica ATH-CK7 earphones, if you've ever heard them or probably Grados too...

Great. Thanks for responding, Shauntell47. I happen to own a set of (now dusty) CK7's, and I found their sibilant tendencies dropped to a manageable level after 80+ hours of burn-in/use. Looks like I may be GX200-bound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #17 of 26
well, as much as i would like more people to buy these, i still need to inform you about the fact that already 3 people on this forum have had their pair break after about a month, especially if you live in the us where you can't get manufacter's warranty... i've only had them about for that period and they've been working fine until now, but don't know of anyone who's had them for much longer...
btw, if you have the song Exo-politics by Muse, listen to them with your CK7s (ouch), but that song was the only one where i really heard the sibilance... The GX200s are a totally different phone, much darker and bassier and with better midrange... CK7s can't be beat for highs though...

Feb 22, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #18 of 26
Thanks for the warning, Shauntell47. I'm aware of the risks, but since I was able to find some used for a decent price, I decided to take a chance on them. If they end up failing before April, well, shame on me.
rolleyes.gif
Alternatively, if they hold up to use and I don't end up liking them for whatever reason, that will give some other US resident the opportunity to own a set of trail-tested, unbroken GX200s at a good price.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the warning, Shauntell47. I'm aware of the risks, but since I was able to find some used for a decent price, I decided to take a chance on them. If they end up failing before April, well, shame on me.
rolleyes.gif
Alternatively, if they hold up to use and I don't end up liking them for whatever reason, that will give some other US resident the opportunity to own a set of trail-tested, unbroken GX200s at a good price.
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope you enjoy them. Sibilance is a non issue with these phones (I share your sensitivity in this area). Rest assured they were treated with kid gloves in my short posession.

Apr 12, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #20 of 26
Okay, they are finally beign posted back to me. But this time they are a brand new pair and are going to be red, apparently. Hopefully they look slightly manly...

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #21 of 26
Sooo... £14.99 for pink ones at play.com. Just over £20 for blue ones.

I take it it's worth a punt, even if they are flimsy?

Sep 17, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #22 of 26
Another reduction at play.com. £12.99 delivered so long as you don't mind pink.

Edit: Wouldn't this thread be better in portables? These are IEMs.

Dec 27, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #23 of 26
Are people still having problems with these phones? Interesting to know if they are any more reliable.

Dec 27, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #24 of 26
Well mine haven't died yet.

However, my s-Jays absolutely destroy them for detail. Been listening to a fair bit of acoustic guitar music and the GX200s just fail to do it justice.

Mar 5, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #25 of 26
Well, this is interesting.

The last reply to this thread was in 2008 but I have these earphones now (2011) and they are so good!

You can get them for around £20 which is stunning value, amazing value, I got these for free when I subscribed to a magazine but still...
I also have sennheiser CX 300 II's and 400 II's which have a recommended retail price of £60, but these are so much better!

Thank goodness, that if these do break, I can get new ones very cheap as for some reason they are on sale everywhere I look!

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #26 of 26
I've had a pair since 2011, but rarely used them since I prefer circumaural cans.
Blew the dust off of my GX200's a few weeks ago as I needed something with a low profile for use on the bus. Other than needing new foam tips, these are fabulous when used with my BlackBerry. No sibilance at all, and no need for any eq adjustment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back