Goldring DR150 first impressions
Apr 12, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #106 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
Just your own words will be great.
NAD has always stayed away from flashing lights and gizmos. They put the $ into SQ.

mmm... regarding the putting money into SQ part.. don't all the equipment company have the same mantra???

Apr 12, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #108 of 240
Let's do a roll call for Section DR150.. guess the numbers are too small to be called a Team...
580smile.gif

All hail Founding Fathers SWT61 and WOWIE11

other "soon-to-be" members

daashford0404
warrior05
Kalidor

have I missed out anyone...??

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #110 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalidor
Let's do a roll call for Section DR150.. guess the numbers are too small to be called a Team...
580smile.gif

All hail Founding Fathers SWT61 and WOWIE11

other "soon-to-be" members

daashford0404
warrior05
Kalidor

have I missed out anyone...??

LOL...glad to be part of this elite group. I've been away on a biz trip so I haven't been able to chime in. Well, the DR150 is at around the 100 hour mark now and it really does sound as good as we've been touting. After burn in, the bass seems a tad tighter, the sibilance (as swt61 said) is gone, and imho they are not quite as forward as before (still forward in relation to many other headphones). A/Bing to my kramer-modded and stock KSC75's (I guess technically that would be A/B/Cing
smily_headphones1.gif
I have to stick with my "these are like titanium Kosses to the Nth degree". They really strike me as the full-size, yet- unrealized, better version of those Kosses. Quality is top knotch so far...nothing coming apart at the seams...even with the extensive travel and use it has been getting. The comfort level is really high...among the best of all the headphones that I have tried out. The light weight nature and velour really allow for extended listening sessions. I, like swt61, can't wait to hear your (all the team DR150 members!) impressions when you get yours. Keep them coming guys!

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #111 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by daashford0404
Just checked my email this morning and this is what I found:

Thanks for your enquiry. We confirm your order was processed and shipped yesterday 11/11/2006.

Mantra Audio
https://shop.mantra-audio.co.uk
www.mantra-audio.co.uk

Its getting close.

Did you get the email from mantraaudio[at]aol.com? I got a similar email this afternoon that said they had trouble "authorising" my credit card. It looked a bit fishy, especially considering the aol address.

Also, how much, with shipping, did they cost you in $US? I've heard somewhere in the range of $122-127. Got 140, figured that would cover it.

Blah.. count me in on Section DR150, if I get this worked out.
tongue.gif

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #112 of 240
Anyone here have plans to try out the DR50 or DR100? Be interesting to know how those sound. Maybe the Grado SR60/Sennheiser PX100 price range has some new worthy competition.

Apr 12, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #113 of 240
hey, i got the same exact email as you, boss. though i did call my credit card company and they said they did see the attempt by Mantra and they - my cc company - declined it because it was an overseas purchase. of course i told them to put it through but haven't heard from Mantra yet (this was yesterday). i also went online and see my cc hasn't been charged yet. gettin kind of frustrating.

Apr 12, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #114 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjohnso
Anyone here have plans to try out the DR50 or DR100? Be interesting to know how those sound. Maybe the Grado SR60/Sennheiser PX100 price range has some new worthy competition.

Good question. I would worry a bit about the DR50's because there frequency response is only 40-24k. However, the DR100's have almost identical stats to the DR150's yet cost $22 less. If I wasn't currently unemployed I would consider taking the plunge. Now, if any other Head-fi'er who is just too busy to do a review wanted to buy a pair and then loan them to me I would be more than happy to review them.
tongue.gif

Apr 12, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #115 of 240
I didnt recieve any indication of the denial on behalf of my bank. I called them to just make sure and they had already sent the money to Mantra. Hopefully mine will be here Friday or Saturday. Saturday would be 5 days from ship date and Im east coast. I payed 125 and change for the DR150s with shipping to the states. I am eagerly awaiting their arrival. If these work out well as metal/rock cans then I can snag a pair of AKG 501s for my jazz and classical. My AKG 240s will stay in the stable as the groovalizer, nothing beats Morcheba to my inexperienced ears like an amped 240s for toe tapping funk goodness.

Apr 12, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #116 of 240
Thanks for your info, daashford0404.

Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05
hey, i got the same exact email as you, boss. though i did call my credit card company and they said they did see the attempt by Mantra and they - my cc company - declined it because it was an overseas purchase. of course i told them to put it through but haven't heard from Mantra yet (this was yesterday).

You should contact Mantra and let them know. As far as I know, a transaction doesn't stagnate if it is declined. I asked them to try my CC in a few days. In the meantime, I'll contact my bank and give authorization for the transaction, when it occurs.

Apr 12, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #117 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
Good question. I would worry a bit about the DR50's because there frequency response is only 40-24k. However, the DR100's have almost identical stats to the DR150's yet cost $22 less.

Really?

On goldring's site the difference between the dr100 and dr150 is pretty large;30hz-20khz vs 18hz-20khz. I checked mantra's and the frequency responses are pretty much the same between the two models. Did goldring drop the ball or something?

http://goldring.co.uk/

Apr 12, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #118 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalidor
mmm... regarding the putting money into SQ part.. don't all the equipment company have the same mantra???

No, at "mid-fi" price point most companies put as many lights and knobs on as they can fit. And of coarse that leaves less $ to put into SQ.
Hi end is a different story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back