1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Goldring DR150 first impressions

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by swt61, Apr 3, 2006.
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Next

Last
  1. swt61
    Got these in the mail today from Mantra Audio in the U.K. Didn't expect them so quickly, it only took about 6 days to ship fron England to Texas. The first thing i noticed was the size of the headphones, they're smaller than the pictures make them look. Not small, but not as big as Senn. 6 series. OK they're on my head, Wow these things are light and quite comfy!
    Now on to the sound, but keep in mind that these are first impressions. I need to do a lot more listening.

THE SPEED OF OMEGA II'S, THE BASS OF PS 2'S, THE MIDRANGE AND SOUNDSTAGE OF MY MODDED K340'S AND THE IMAGING OF ATH L3000'S!

These are some of the qualities that the Goldring's can't quite reach.
    But seriously for $129.00 shipped, i'm pretty damn impressed! The bass is the first thing that stands out. Reminiscent of Senn. 650's. The soundstage is not on the same level as my reference K340's, but it ain't bad either. The thing these headphones really seem to do well is male vocals. "Rainy Night In Georgia" by Sam Moore and Conway Twitty sent chills down my spine! "Lie To Me" by Jonny Lang is engaging as hell! Guitar is fantastic! These are definitley rock lovin' phones! They seem pretty partial to the Blues as well! Much more listening to do before i can give a more difinative review. I'll post more in a day or so.

2. kramer5150
    Thanks!!

3. Meyvn
    Yeah, appreciate your pioneership.

4. glac1er
    Sweeettt.

Rock headphones with nice male vocals [​IMG]. I would like to hear your thoughts after burn-in. Thanks a lot for buying these.

5. Kalidor
    wow!!! thanks so much for giving us this review of something that's unchartered waters.. and thanks for your heads up PM.. look forward to some more impressions from you!!

6. Kalidor
    by the way, is that the model with the detachable QED cable??

7. acidboy84
    Sounds promising. Makes me itchy to get it. Lol...!

8. Gaughtfried
    Sounds like a pretty good headphone so far.

9. swt61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalidor
    by the way, is that the model with the detachable QED cable??

Yes, and they have a mini phono plug on each end, so replacement cables are going to be available from any good cable builder off the shelf! The cord is fairly thick, and seems to be of good quality. I think i'll get a few different cables to try with them soon.

10. swt61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaughtfried
    Sounds like a pretty good headphone so far.

The more i listen, the more i like these. It'll be interesting to see what burn in does for them. One thing is for sure, these are an absolute bargain!

11. swt61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by acidboy84
    Sounds promising. Makes me itchy to get it. Lol...!

Mantra Audio was very easy to deal with!

12. swt61
    I would like to offer these up for a test drive from any well established HeadFier with a good feedback. If you have some headphones in the same price range i could test drive, even better. Let me get some hours on these first, and get them burned in. CONUS only please.

13. philodox Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
    THE SPEED OF OMEGA II'S, THE BASS OF PS 2'S, THE MIDRANGE AND SOUNDSTAGE OF MY MODDED K340'S AND THE IMAGING OF ATH L3000'S!
    These are some of the qualities that the Goldring's can't quite reach.

Pure gold. [​IMG]

Before I read the second line I almost choked on my drink. [​IMG]

14. angler31337
    Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
    Pure gold. [​IMG]

Ditto. I was actually reaching for my wallet and opening up a new browser window until I read that next line. Still, that price tag is pretty low to be getting swt61 this giddy. [​IMG] Can't wait to hear the full review after burn-in.

-Angler [​IMG]

15. Anarchy965
    Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
    Pure gold. [​IMG]

Yeah I was like HOLY ***!!! NO WAY

Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
    I would like to offer these up for a test drive from any well established HeadFier with a good feedback. If you have some headphones in the same pricerange i could test drive, even better. Let me get some hours on these first, and get them burned in. CONUS only please.

Can't wait to hear a review from a really experienced head-fier! These already sound like a good value.

2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Next

Last