GoldPlanar GL2000 Thread
Mar 21, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #391 of 560
Mar 21, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #393 of 560
Perforated doesn't sound the best?
I'm using the none leather pads, the secondary pads just sound better. The fake leather seems to close in the sound.

Mar 21, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #394 of 560
It might sound great to you. I said that I'm not a fan. I've tried original perforated (ear shape inside) and ones you linked. Not bad but not my cup of tea.

Mar 21, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #395 of 560
I finally got around to trying the Brainwavz gaming gel pads. Had my wife trim them down as I'm a bit sloppy with those sorts of things.

Comfort is increased. I love that the gel feels cooler on my skin than the leather pads.

Sound stage feels a little larger, bass and mids feel a little stronger. Very slight but noticeable changes. Take with a grain of salt as I'm a total noobie to hifi, I just listened to the same song before and after switching to see if I noticed any difference (Bury It - CHVRCHES feat. Hayley Williams).

Mar 23, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #396 of 560
Some of you sweared by removing (all) of those paper filters on grill side of the driver. So I gave it another shot to see if perhaps I might be missing something. Well, I see why it might feel appealing from upper midrange/treble/airiness point of view. But to me, lower end suffers quite a bit so ...... to me, it works for some recordings but in general I am missing the lower extension and that gut felt bass.
Eventho I understand, it’s not me guys.
If there was a way to have benefits of it without loss of chest felt bass/impact, I would be all over it. Unfortunately, I am unable to come up with something that would combine those qualities into a mod that can make this happen. Maybe someone else can try?

Mar 23, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #397 of 560
Some of you sweared by removing (all) of those paper filters on grill side of the driver. So I gave it another shot to see if perhaps I might be missing something. Well, I see why it might feel appealing from upper midrange/treble/airiness point of view. But to me, lower end suffers quite a bit so ...... to me, it works for some recordings but in general I am missing the lower extension and that gut felt bass.
Eventho I understand, it’s not me guys.
If there was a way to have benefits of it without loss of chest felt bass/impact, I would be all over it. Unfortunately, I am unable to come up with something that would combine those qualities into a mod that can make this happen. Maybe someone else can try?
EQ. I kept my 60hz bump and get the impact. I've always needed this, even prior to mods.

Mar 23, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #398 of 560
EQ. I kept my 60hz bump and get the impact. I've always needed this, even prior to mods.
I see. I don't EQ so that's kind of an issue.

Mar 24, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #399 of 560
I also tried the Brainwavz oval perforated, but I didn't like them as well, not sure why. Somehow I felt that the punchiness was gone. I also tried Brainwavz hybrids but I still think the stock perforated are best. Maybe I had to actually stretch and install them to cover the whole drivers though, because I tested them just hanging between my head and the cups. Might try them again to make sure.

Mar 24, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #400 of 560
I see. I don't EQ so that's kind of an issue.
Bass EQ plus Brainwavz Gels seem to be the sweet spot for me. I haven't tried the stock leather because I think that is where it will become overbearing, and perforated will lose more bass.
It's funny, I think with the tuning papers removed it sounds more like a Hifiman treble wise.

Mar 24, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #401 of 560
Bass EQ plus Brainwavz Gels seem to be the sweet spot for me. I haven't tried the stock leather because I think that is where it will become overbearing, and perforated will lose more bass.
It's funny, I think with the tuning papers removed it sounds more like a Hifiman treble wise.
Interesting that you have made that comparison. I was never a big fan of HFM house sound. It might explain why I’m a little hesitant to adopt this tuning. Lol
Nothing wrong with “Hifiman” sound signature. I know a lot of people love that quality. For me personally. It seems a little “forced”, hifi-ish, metalic, less organic.
GL2K, even with this paper-less tuning, still sounds more together and more fluid than most HFM cans I’ve heard.
I find it fascinating how sound is interpreted on personal level and our ability to describe what we hear. And that should explain why no “perfect headphone” exists and probably never will. :wink:

Mar 24, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #403 of 560
My impression and compare to Arya.
Lows: GL2000 doesnt hit as hard but do go low.
Arya is better.
Mids: GL2000 just sound "off" it's clear but just not natural.
Arya is better.
Highs: here is where I think GL2000 is MUCH better than the Arya. Everything feels so clear and super detailed.
GL2000 is better.
Soundstage: Honestly this is so close, but Arya gets win.
Imaging: Again, very close, but Arya gets the win.
Details: GL2000 are more detailed. Maybe it's because of compression but I like it. It's different that traditional headphones.

The GL2000 remind me of the AudioQuest Nighthawk. They are just WEIRD but weird is good.

Do I recommend the GL2000? Idk just hear it for yourself. It's a weird one but worth a listen.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #404 of 560
My impression and compare to Arya.
Lows: GL2000 door hit as hard but do go low.
Arya is better.
Mids: GL2000 just sound "off" it's clear but just not natural.
Arya is better.
Highs: here is where I think GL2000 is MUCH better than the Arya. Everything feels so clear and super detailed.
GL2000 is better.
Soundstage: Honestly this is so close, but Arya gets win.
Imaging: Again, very close, but Arya gets the win.
Details: GL2000 are more detailed. Maybe it's because of compression but I like it. It's different that traditional headphones.

The GL2000 remind me of the AudioQuest Nighthawk. They are just WEIRD but weird is good.

Do I recommend the GL2000? Idk just hear it for yourself. It's a weird one but worth a listen.
So you'd say they're competitive with a headphone that's $1000 more expensive?

Mar 24, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #405 of 560
So you'd say they're competitive with a headphone that's $1000 more expensive?
No I'm not saying that. I just compared because I have a few headphones and Arya were the closed to them "sound wise".

But for the full price. I would take the GL2000 any day. But if price is no issue than Arya.

The GL is a monster for soundstage and layers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back