Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 3, 2024 at 4:21 AM Post #62,401 of 62,663
I spent about 45 minutes trying the ZX1 (the Cowboy Bebop ones) at e-earphone today.

They do sound very good and are plenty loud for TWS. They are big in the ears but very comfy surprisingly. I also loved the burgundy color and anime voices.

I almost got them but the LDAC connection was a deal-breaker for me: I tried switching the different modes (using developer options) on my Walkman ZX707 but it would always lose audio randomly. My ZX707 was like 1 foot away. Not acceptable. The app is okay but I found no way to force AAC or SBC to see if the connection was better. My ZX707 also always defaulted to LDAC.

I ended up trying the IER-M9 and got these instead. (I know, I know, they're wired)

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 5:56 AM Post #62,402 of 62,663
I spent about 45 minutes trying the ZX1 (the Cowboy Bebop ones) at e-earphone today.

They do sound very good and are plenty loud for TWS. They are big in the ears but very comfy surprisingly. I also loved the burgundy color and anime voices.

I almost got them but the LDAC connection was a deal-breaker for me: I tried switching the different modes (using developer options) on my Walkman ZX707 but it would always lose audio randomly. My ZX707 was like 1 foot away. Not acceptable. The app is okay but I found no way to force AAC or SBC to see if the connection was better. My ZX707 also always defaulted to LDAC.

I ended up trying the IER-M9 and got these instead. (I know, I know, they're wired)

I use the 606kbps mode on my phone (cheap Motorola) and don't experience any connection problems, so it's definitely a Sony problem. I've also used the 900kbps mode, but not as extensively.

[edit] FLAC files from SD card.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #62,403 of 62,663

That sucks! My personal experience with the ZX1 was very positive. I’m sorry you had issues. How do you like the M9?

May 3, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #62,404 of 62,663
That sucks! My personal experience with the ZX1 was very positive. I’m sorry you had issues. How do you like the M9?
I mean it wasn't ideal given everyone around me at the store was using Bluetooth. I honestly enjoyed them but I don't wanna have to deal with a bad connection. I might give them another try before I leave though.

The M9 are great! So comfy and they have plenty of bass which I love. I'd wanted to try high-end Sony IEMs for a long time and I read nothing but praise for the M9. I honestly have way too many IEMs at this point but eh, I was like, who cares? 😅

Without tax, they were around 520 euros ($550), used like new with the original box and all accessories and cables (3.5 TRS and 4.4 balanced). Not a bad deal!

Sorry for the (partial) OT!

May 3, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #62,405 of 62,663

You can use the free app Bluetooth codec changer to force SBC or AAC. That said, I have had no trouble with LDAC on my Android phone or HiBy RS6.

May 3, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #62,406 of 62,663
This May I will turn one year older, not looking forward to it. But I may received the Aviot ZX1 and the Pilgrim if we get lucky. Those I'm looking forward to!

May 3, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #62,407 of 62,663
I mean it wasn't ideal given everyone around me at the store was using Bluetooth. I honestly enjoyed them but I don't wanna have to deal with a bad connection. I might give them another try before I leave though.

The M9 are great! So comfy and they have plenty of bass which I love. I'd wanted to try high-end Sony IEMs for a long time and I read nothing but praise for the M9. I honestly have way too many IEMs at this point but eh, I was like, who cares? 😅

Without tax, they were around 520 euros ($550), used like new with the original box and all accessories and cables (3.5 TRS and 4.4 balanced). Not a bad deal!

Sorry for the (partial) OT!
Just wondering if you tried any other LDAC connection in that store. Perhaps someone else more knowledgable can chime in but I do know bluetooth interference is a thing. I have an e-bike kit motor that is configured over bluetooth and have found it very slow and difficult to connect when out on city streets, but not at home. Meanwhile I find it hard to fathom that a pricy Sony device can't handle an LDAC connection, or that you had somehow faulty ZX1s.

May 3, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #62,409 of 62,663

I'm using a Sony Xperia phone (a DAP that's a phone too) and it connects and stays connected to the ZX1 perfectly, MTW4s, and Bose Ultras too, both in LDAC and aptX Adaptive. I wonder what else could the problem have been?

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #62,410 of 62,663
Thank you I m still waiting for zx-1 to be shipped but it has been long time I ordered from Indiegogo I contacted aviot they said it should be shipped end of the month but nothing yet should I be worried ? Someone mentioned here if you buy with Indiegogo you get one year warranty trough them is that true ?
You can write to AVIOT CS, they have been prompt in responding. globalsupport@aviot.jp

May 3, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #62,411 of 62,663
Just wondering if you tried any other LDAC connection in that store. Perhaps someone else more knowledgable can chime in but I do know bluetooth interference is a thing. I have an e-bike kit motor that is configured over bluetooth and have found it very slow and difficult to connect when out on city streets, but not at home. Meanwhile I find it hard to fathom that a pricy Sony device can't handle an LDAC connection, or that you had somehow faulty ZX1s.
LDAC in general doesn't have good stability and very short range

May 3, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #62,412 of 62,663
I see, thanks @Gilroypro. So the tuning you have selected in the EQ in your screen capture is the new one, correct? Do you feel it represents an improvement for your sound signature preference? I cannot actually test it myself because adjusting any of the EQ sliders on my HiBy RS6 has no effect, perhaps I need to wait for next app. update.
Not much of a difference from bypass or flat EQ. Feels like the sound is pushed more foward

May 3, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #62,414 of 62,663
No. I'm guessing the red ZX1 and PNK are identified as separate devices on the Sound Me App. When it tells me to choose a device on the app. I see 3 TWS. My ZX1 PNK & Z1 pop up. The 3rd one I see is the ZX1. So both have different EQs aside from the Bypass

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #62,415 of 62,663
No. I'm guessing the red ZX1 and PNK are identified as separate devices on the Sound Me App. When it tells me to choose a device on the app. I see 3 TWS. My ZX1 PNK & Z1 pop up /. The 3rd one I see is the ZX1. Do both have different EQs aside from the Bypass
I just posted a picture, you can see 6 presets and 2 custom spots in it. Your picture of Sound Me shows total 5, 2 are in Japanese.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back