Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 1, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #60,047 of 62,419
Yeah, I thought for some reason these were the new ones so I was all excited and then realized I am dumb.
1706824403237.png

Feb 1, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #60,048 of 62,419
https://www.techradar.com/phones/an...ring-a-major-bluetooth-upgrade-for-android-15

Auracast spotted in Android 15 repro. The Bluetooth casting/sharing tech. I wonder how the quality might suffer if "casting" to multiple devices, over Bluetooth vs using WiFi casting

"code describes a new page within Android where you get a switch to toggle the sharing of audio, a QR code to let other people tune in, a list of nearby audio streams, and a button to change the Bluetooth device you're listening on."

Feb 1, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #60,049 of 62,419
I have a sort of stupid question... so I've invested in TWS earphones these last few years. Currently, I'm using the Noble Mystique. My on the go source is just my phone - Google Pixel 8 Pro. It's not the greatest source ever. Is there anything I can do to improve the sound of the source in tandem with TWS earphones?

I know I could use a DAC dongle like the Helm Bolt with wired headphones but I'm assuming there's really nothing to do with TWS? I mean, other than use a DAP, right? Which I also have but I don't really feel like carrying 2 devices on my commute to work (NYC).
I'm a few pages behind so maybe it's been suggested but you could get a Bluetooth Transmitter like the Creative BT-W4

I've seen thinner ones too that sit along the base of the phone rather than poke out.

Feb 1, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #60,050 of 62,419
You wouldn't happen to know (off-hand) which higher end TWS earphones support LDAC, right? I just Googled it quickly but I think I'm going to have to look at each brand individually to get the answer.

I'm not 100% opposed to using a DAP. I have a SONY NW-ZX500 right now but it's a bit old and the battery life on it is pretty terrible. Sounds good, though. And I actually have a pair of Noble wired headphones that I can use with it. I've just gotten used to the wireless experience at this point, especially on the go.

Thanks for your sugsuggestions
Technics AZ80, AZ60, Audio Technica ATH-TWX7, JBL is releasing 3 brand new models this year, all with LDAC. Sony is also good.

Feb 1, 2024 at 10:59 PM Post #60,053 of 62,419
My Fokus Prestige are not responsive and all I get is 4 flashing blue lights on the case. Any ideas? Edit - Nevermind.

Have you checked the contacts inside the case? Try taking the tips off before you insert the iems to see of they make better contact the charging pins.

My year old pair has begun to have a sound level imbalance. My left iem is about 2db louder than the right side.

Feb 1, 2024 at 11:56 PM Post #60,054 of 62,419
well
roundup

- Technics updated the AZ60 and 80 with a version 2
- The Sony XM5 arent as good as the XM4 according to most people
- Sennheiser MTW 4 and MTW Sports introduced at CES
- Creative Aurvana ACE and ACE 2 are first to market with mems drivers, mids and highs are beautiful but lows are muddy becuase the DD they used is meh.
- on the creatives, both are identical except the Ace 2 has better codec support,
- The Noble Falcons MAX at 270€ been hearing good things about them but the Fokus Prestige at 670... a bit steep for something disposable unless they have some sort of battery replacement service.
Sorry, I must have missed something. Did Technics announce a new AZ80? I know there was an AZ60M2 but can't find anything on a v2 of the AZ80.

My MTW3 (warranty replacement for my first pair that died last year) is making random popping noises again so I think I am done with Sennheiser TWS, just when I thought I finally found an EQ setting I liked yesterday too. It started making unpleasant popping noises in the left ear again shortly after I put them in my ears. The noises appear random (doesnt happen everytime but happened once last night and again 5 minutes ago) and happens even with no music playing. This happened with the first set for a few months before they died as well. I had cancelled my order of the AZ80 but they are now back on my radar.

Feb 2, 2024 at 3:45 AM Post #60,055 of 62,419
Dang! I am so going to have withdrawal soon!!! Not enough time left to order anything from AE to my current location. So I switched my address back to my regular ‘island in the middle of nowhere’ ... and the Vooplay don’t even show up in search anymore! One more switch back and forth to put in shopping cart and I see WHY it (and many others) don’t show up anymore.

D8780AA8-1187-41B1-B2C0-5E0FB86F392B.jpeg
it’s either that or 40-50$ shipping via ems. They are not taking any chances with that monkey island anymore (as part of the fight against Corona, the postal service was suspended, a lot of mail got lost ...)
And amazon is no option either. And my usual winter trip to Japan is very much most likely not happening .... whaaaaa can’t get anything new until summer 21 possibly.
Anyone recall this talk about them Sabbat Vooplay? thanks to search I can see that I have been contemplating them since mid 2020 ... and since my other Sabbat's have kinda succumbed to faint battery / sweat / overuse over time ... I was very happy when I spotted them here at HardOff, which is a used tech store, but they have a couple of boxes of 'new, old stock' .. and recently the price dropped to about 20$ and I finally have them in my earholes .. and they very much remind me what I liked about having my previous Sabbats. No 'thud' when I step / run. Very open earbuds style sound.

Now I am testing the batteries, which are most likely 4 years old .. had them in my ears for an hour now and so far so good ... might even get them in one of the other colors :D

Feb 2, 2024 at 6:10 AM Post #60,056 of 62,419
I suppose your source always limits you. Even with the 'best' codec, how good is the Pixel really going to sound, right? To me, the Mystiques sound great on the go. I may just deal with them as they are, considering they use AptX (not adaptive). I could also give the Technics AZ80s a try, which do support LDAC. But if I REALLY want to have top-notch sound quality on the go, I'll probably have to use a DAP. Something like the Shanling M1s is appealing because it's so small.
Streaming with Tidal via Bluetooth will not provide you with MAX bit rate and kHZ, Tidal is very clear about that. When you plug an IEM into your DAP and stream, then it utilizes the MAX bitrate.

Feb 2, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #60,058 of 62,419
Anyone recall this talk about them Sabbat Vooplay? thanks to search I can see that I have been contemplating them since mid 2020 ... and since my other Sabbat's have kinda succumbed to faint battery / sweat / overuse over time ... I was very happy when I spotted them here at HardOff, which is a used tech store, but they have a couple of boxes of 'new, old stock' .. and recently the price dropped to about 20$ and I finally have them in my earholes .. and they very much remind me what I liked about having my previous Sabbats. No 'thud' when I step / run. Very open earbuds style sound.

Now I am testing the batteries, which are most likely 4 years old .. had them in my ears for an hour now and so far so good ... might even get them in one of the other colors :D
Always wanted a pair in the moss color. :)

Sorry, I must have missed something. Did Technics announce a new AZ80? I know there was an AZ60M2 but can't find anything on a v2 of the AZ80.

My MTW3 (warranty replacement for my first pair that died last year) is making random popping noises again so I think I am done with Sennheiser TWS, just when I thought I finally found an EQ setting I liked yesterday too. It started making unpleasant popping noises in the left ear again shortly after I put them in my ears. The noises appear random (doesnt happen everytime but happened once last night and again 5 minutes ago) and happens even with no music playing. This happened with the first set for a few months before they died as well. I had cancelled my order of the AZ80 but they are now back on my radar.
The first model was AZ70 and then AZ60 and AZ40 came. The AZ80 is newest and to fill out the line they updated the other two so they are M2.

Feb 2, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #60,059 of 62,419
Streaming with Tidal via Bluetooth will not provide you with MAX bit rate and kHZ, Tidal is very clear about that. When you plug an IEM into your DAP and stream, then it utilizes the MAX bitrate.
I'm not sure I understand your point. I don't think this was the question being asked.

Feb 2, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #60,060 of 62,419
go to a canjam and you realise about 60% of us audio enjoyers are bald. Or maybe we all shave our heads to get the best seal with headphones
It's like cars. By the time you get to the stage in life where you can afford the finer things, you are old, bald (and in my case portly). The 911 would have served me well at 25; at 55, not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back