Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 1, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #58,457 of 62,387
JLab Epic Lab Edition in house. I was never a fan of their cheap buds, but these are pretty pretty pretty nice. Time to play.
Let us know!
For the $150 paid, these are a really great deal. Tons of features. Great fit. Small (to me), comfortable. Nice build. Stage is nice, still tweaking, but seem to be settling on the bass setting. You can really drill down the EQ. I'm not patient right now. Testing them with the new Peter Gabriel album. Bass is deeeeeeep. Transparency/Aware mode is decent. Not APP quality, but not much is. Taps are customizable within the app, that's nice. Full touch sensor controls. Auto-pause when taken out. Decent volume, but even on my Oneplus with LDAC, I have to turn it up almost all the way. I do like it loud. LDAC/96000/32 sounds excellent. Not that I care about codecs too much :wink:. I'll test it on my iPhone soon. Comes with a USB dongle for Bluetooth LE audio. Nice touch. Adapter is stored inside the case. Again, for $150 (the BF deal) these are a very pleasant surprise.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #58,458 of 62,387
Me as well...

PXL_20231201_221932057.MP.jpg

Dec 1, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #58,459 of 62,387
Received my JLAB Epic Lab as well. Here's what I think!

- Fit and finish is premium, case is relatively small(similar to AZ80 case) but it feels quite heavy!
- Dual driver separation can be felt, especially for the treble. It is not metallic, but it is on the lower side. It is not splashy but there is enough to satisfy the cymbals. They worked with Knowles on tuning so maybe this implementation is good.
- Bass is quality and very very deep with an extension, feels a bit too much at times actually! So that is good as you can probably use EQ to tune it down as needed.
- Vocals are very good, forward than most TWS
- These are LOUD, same as AZ80 or slightly louder. I have to listen at 20% volume on my S23 ultra. They also have listening protection cutoff option in the app but IMO it affects the dynamics, so have it disabled.
- Control customizations work well in the app, wish they had options for phone calls and mute.
- Mic quality seems excellent so far, equal to Technics AZ60 for sure. is average. It sounded fine when you are in one place but the moment you start walking or moving, audio cuts out per other party on phone calls. Disappointing...
- Noise cancellation is pretty good, on Buds2Pro level and better than Technics AZ80
- App works perfectly, no glitches in touch controls or app settings so far
- It could be because I am using LDAC, but one standout feature of these buds is how well they present percussion and minor details in audio. I feel like I hear a lot of minor details in music with these without paying too much attention!
- For $150 price paid with Black Friday special, these are in same category as the premium buds.
- I like that the case has 3 LEDs indicating remaining battery life (much better than Bose QC Ultra with single LED). Also love the charging animation where two end LEDs blink like eyes :wink:

The only couple things that I don't like about these so far, is :

1) The custom EQ doesn't respond the same as the presets. I want to go by the base JLAB Signature EQ as base EQ and then tune down bass a few notches but the sound completely goes haywire if I replicate the preset EQ levels in custom EQ!
2) This could be my personal preference or could be because of BA drive providing the treble but I feel sometimes the quantity is not enough or the cymbals don't give as much of an impact.

These are surely a keeper for me and if they live up to 9 hours battery life then these are great for calls(though battery would be less for calls I imagine) !

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #58,461 of 62,387
Off topic… my used acceptable Amazon h95s arrived. I definitely didn’t hit the “new sealed” lottery. This have been used. The case was pretty scratched up. The headphones themselves seem in pretty good shape. Now to the sound, they sound bright to me. Not much bass. Not sure yet what I think. They are definitely tight, clean and fast.

Dec 1, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #58,462 of 62,387
Off topic… my used acceptable Amazon h95s arrived. I definitely didn’t hit the “new sealed” lottery. This have been used. The case was pretty scratched up. The headphones themselves seem in pretty good shape. Now to the sound, they sound bright to me. Not much bass. Not sure yet what I think. They are definitely tight, clean and fast.
I've been using my Acceptable black ones too. Quite often actually. So much so, my Bose Ultras have gotten no love in over a week. No scratches on mine and mint. Luck of the draw I guess. Or maybe because I stupidly spend more than you on Amazon? I'm more into the sub-bass as you know. Tuned out that bright vibe. I pull that knob down to the bass section on all my B&O gear. I do wish they were louder. Picked up a new case on Amazon that has served me well.

Dec 1, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #58,463 of 62,387
Received my JLAB Epic Lab as well. Here's what I think!

- Fit and finish is premium, case is relatively small(similar to AZ80 case) but it feels quite heavy!
- Dual driver separation can be felt, especially for the treble. It is not metallic, but it is on the lower side. It is not splashy but there is enough to satisfy the cymbals. They worked with Knowles on tuning so maybe this implementation is good.
- Bass is quality and very very deep with an extension, feels a bit too much at times actually! So that is good as you can probably use EQ to tune it down as needed.
- Vocals are very good, forward than most TWS
- These are LOUD, same as AZ80 or slightly louder. I have to listen at 20% volume on my S23 ultra. They also have listening protection cutoff option in the app but IMO it affects the dynamics, so have it disabled.
- Control customizations work well in the app, wish they had options for phone calls and mute.
- Mic quality seems excellent so far, equal to Technics AZ60 for sure
- Noise cancellation is pretty good, on Buds2Pro level and better than Technics AZ80
- App works perfectly, no glitches in touch controls or app settings so far
- It could be because I am using LDAC, but one standout feature of these buds is how well they present percussion and minor details in audio. I feel like I hear a lot of minor details in music with these without paying too much attention!
- For $150 price paid with Black Friday special, these are in same category as the premium buds.

The only couple things that I don't like about these so far, is :

1) The custom EQ doesn't respond the same as the presets. I want to go by the base JLAB Signature EQ as base EQ and then tune down bass a few notches but the sound completely goes haywire if I replicate the preset EQ levels in custom EQ!
2) This could be my personal preference or could be because of BA drive providing the treble but I feel sometimes the quantity is not enough or the cymbals don't give as much of an impact.

These are surely a keeper for me and if they live up to 9 hours battery life then these are great for calls(though battery would be less for calls I imagine) !
I thought I needed more time with the EQ, but glad I'm not the only one that thinks it's too sensitive. Takes a sec to register too. Maybe they'll fix that. It's not a deal breaker though as I'm really enjoying the Bass setting. I'm not having great luck with the ANC like you. But once you go Bose, everything else is so much more inferior. Sad but true.

Dec 1, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #58,464 of 62,387
I thought I needed more time with the EQ, but glad I'm not the only one that thinks it's too sensitive. Takes a sec to register too. Maybe they'll fix that. It's not a deal breaker though as I'm really enjoying the Bass setting. I'm not having great luck with the ANC like you. But once you go Bose, everything else is so much more inferior. Sad but true.
Yeah hopefully they fix the EQ in new update. The ANC might have to do with the seal too. I used Azla crystal tips which cause these to protrude in ears giving it a much better seal than AZ80 for example, but yes I have Bose Ultra buds and they have the best ANC of everything I own including over ears H95!

Dec 1, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #58,465 of 62,387
Yeah hopefully they fix the EQ in new update. The ANC might have to do with the seal too. I used Azla crystal tips which cause these to protrude in ears giving it a much better seal than AZ80 for example, but yes I have Bose Ultra buds and they have the best ANC of everything I own including over ears H95!
I'll keep rolling. Tried some Azla but they were too long. Trying others now. I'm getting a seal, but a few of my other buds squash more. Not that I'm surprised, definitely better than expected for sure. I was testing them with Airplane noise off Youtube. Anticipating a trip soon :metal:

These work great: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C5BWXLZ7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #58,467 of 62,387
I see some comments about the new Jlabs. Any comparison of sound quality to the AZ80s? I have the AZ80s coming in so I want to see if the Jlabs might be a better cheaper option.
AZ80 seem to have more open sound, vocals are more forward. JLAB epics seem to hit mid-bass hard which IMO overshadows the vocals and openness. JLABs have much better sub bass than AZ80s, no comparison.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #58,468 of 62,387
I see some comments about the new Jlabs. Any comparison of sound quality to the AZ80s? I have the AZ80s coming in so I want to see if the Jlabs might be a better cheaper option.
While I do think the AZ80s are the best Technics buds to date, I no longer have them. I do think the Jlabs are smaller and an easier fit. ANC is no slouch. I used the AZs on a cross-country flight and wasn't happy with the ANC. But again, Bose for that, all the way. I'm using the Jlab now and listening to an old Badlands album and Jake E. Lee's guitar sounds awesome. You can def hear the two drivers doing their job well. Separation is great. I agree, vocals are more up front, but it's not distracting to me. All this said, they're cheaper than the AZ80, so if price is important, and you can get the $50 off deal, the Jlab buds are a great buy. Technics are a more premium bud build, but charging cases for both are similar quality. Both excellent. Honestly, none of us here can be the be-all end-all judge. You should test a few out and return the loser.

Dec 1, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #58,469 of 62,387
While I do think the AZ80s are the best Technics buds to date, I no longer have them. I do think the Jlabs are smaller and an easier fit. ANC is no slouch. I used the AZs on a cross-country flight and wasn't happy with the ANC. But again, Bose for that, all the way. I'm using the Jlab now and listening to an old Badlands album and Jake E. Lee's guitar sounds awesome. You can def hear the two drivers doing their job well. Separation is great. I agree, vocals are more up front, but it's not distracting to me. All this said, they're cheaper than the AZ80, so if price is important, and you can get the $50 off deal, the Jlab buds are a great buy. Technics are a more premium bud build, but charging cases for both are similar quality. Both excellent. Honestly, none of us here can be the be-all end-all judge. You should test a few out and return the loser.
I initially tried out Status 3ANC (but they hurt my ears), Soundcore Liberty 4NC (they sound bad compared to the Status), and the AZ60s (Sound good but not as good as the Status). Hoping the AZ80s have a little improved sound (depth and clarity) and maybe a little more bass than the AZ60s.

Jlab is intriguing, but it’s new so not many reviews. If they sound more like AZ60 level sound or worse, it’s probably not worth picking them up.

I have to say the Status 3ANC sounded really good. Punchy bass and good clarity. Unfortunately they hurt my ears after less than an hour. And their ANC is not very good even compared to the Technics.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #58,470 of 62,387
I'll keep rolling. Tried some Azla but they were too long. Trying others now. I'm getting a seal, but a few of my other buds squash more. Not that I'm surprised, definitely better than expected for sure. I was testing them with Airplane noise off Youtube. Anticipating a trip soon :metal:

These work great: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C5BWXLZ7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
Thanks! Actually I just tried the Spiral Dot++ and these help with taming the intense bass and squeezing out max treble from these. Liking the sound signature better now, at least until JLAB makes the EQ more effective...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back