Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 7, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #57,916 of 62,422
OoOOoo..
This takes me back to when I began following this thread - when the MW07 and MW08's were talked about and contended. I nearly bit the bullet back then, but I held off.

Now, I shall eagerly await some impressions once again. 😜
Yeah, I never got them - once I looked at the reviews - but these could have fixed a lot of the previous issues and holy smokes...
  • Earbud battery life: Up to 16 hours.

Nov 7, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #57,917 of 62,422
Would need see real life use in a few reviews as there have been earbuds with 12+15 hours for years (Creative and Soundpeats) but 12 hours with ANC On (16 with ANC Off) would be a first AFAIK.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #57,918 of 62,422
Would need see real life use in a few reviews as there have been earbuds with 12+15 hours for years (Creative and Soundpeats) but 12 hours with ANC On (16 with ANC Off) would be a first AFAIK.
I'm sure the figures are reached with LC3 codec + medium volume, but still, even 10h with high volume+ANC+Aptx Lossless will be amazing.

Nov 7, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #57,919 of 62,422
OoOOoo..
This takes me back to when I began following this thread - when the MW07 and MW08's were talked about and contended. I nearly bit the bullet back then, but I held off.

Now, I shall eagerly await some impressions once again. 😜
Same here.

I first held off due to price. Then when it was within budget, reports of it's soundstage turned me away.

Do want a berry driver tho

Nov 7, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #57,920 of 62,422
Yeah, I never got them - once I looked at the reviews - but these could have fixed a lot of the previous issues and holy smokes...
  • Earbud battery life: Up to 16 hours.

That's one of the features that caught my interest off the bat.

It's also good to see they are striving to keep up with the tech by including the latest features. I'm sure this would motivate the rest of the market to follow suit if they are successful with this release, and I imagine such features would look attractive to even the average consumer - that much battery life is attractive to anyone, especially those who regularly fly extensive hours and would prefer the comfort and lack of weight compared to wearing cans for that long.

Same here.

I first held off due to price. Then when it was within budget, reports of it's soundstage turned me away.

Do want a berry driver tho
Spot on, My conclusive turn offs were due to the price point and mixed bag reviews on their sound. Here's to hoping they tune these berries ripe and juicy! 😁

If they are a letdown, I guess I will continue to ride this disciplinary wave I've surprisingly maintained, make do with the QC-II's I have, and wait for what the MEMS era will bring to us.

Nov 7, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #57,922 of 62,422
Saved me $$ and hassle. Thanks. Gonna be happy with primary AZ80 and backup QC Ultra for now.
I feared this - but expected

Nov 7, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #57,923 of 62,422
wait for what the MEMS era will bring to us.
Ah the MEMs! Everytime I think I might make a purchase I get reminded these are coming real soon (and likely to cost a decent amount)

Nov 7, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #57,925 of 62,422
Ah the MEMs! Everytime I think I might make a purchase I get reminded these are coming real soon (and likely to cost a decent amount)
I'm sure you are as excited as I am for their arrival!

My patience is wearing thin though. Plus seeing your praise for the DPP's so often gives me a constant itch. 😜
I do want to try those but I am a bit hesitant in case the fit doesn't work out for me, and with a shortage of vendors in Australia that offer a return policy for TWS, I am a bit scared to take the gamble.

Bought my partner the elite 10's the other week to replace her lost QC2's (I secretly also got them because I wanted to see what they were all about, and if I preferred them I would have given her my QC2s and kept using them instead 😂) But I didn't enjoy them as much as the QC2's tuning which seems to have more pronounced highs and mids, and after a few weeks use, even to her ears, did she mention that she prefers the sound of the Bose as well.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #57,926 of 62,422
Yes I'm very aware of the fact, sadly it's not optimal for us tech/audio geeks
What's not optimal is Qualcomm locking the new tech to only their devices instead of using a new standard for this sort of technology, and forcing OEMs to buy large quantities to have access to the latest and greatest stuff. Because of that no audio company, aside from maybe Bose, JBL, Sennheiser or other giant company can even make a S7 TWS.

And lastly Apple, Sony, Google and Samsung are going to use their own homegrown chips for their TWS. So while yes it's a cool development that I'm excited for, I'm not holding my breath on seeing a lot of manufactures actually use the chipset for the WiFi handoff, and more importantly there's not going to be much devices out there that will even be compatible considering that Snapdragon Sound requires a compatible SoC. That narrows it down to a small number of devices out there, and I'm not about to rearrange my phone/laptop/tws etc setup for a slight SQ upgrade. Qualcomm can F off with their proprietary tech for all I care.

Nov 7, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #57,927 of 62,422
My patience is wearing thin though. Plus seeing your praise for the DPP's so often gives me a constant itch. 😜
I do want to try those but I am a bit hesitant in case the fit doesn't work out for me, and with a shortage of vendors in Australia that offer a return policy for TWS, I am a bit scared to take the gamble
I do apologise for my enthusiasm.

They
Just
So
Good

I got mine from Minidisc who told me they had a 21 day change of mind policy (15% restock fee tho).

My patience is a bit stronger as without MEMs or another compelling technology I can't justify a purchase of any existing brands.

Hold strong!

Nov 7, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #57,928 of 62,422
What's not optimal is Qualcomm locking the new tech to only their devices instead of using a new standard for this sort of technology, and forcing OEMs to buy large quantities to have access to the latest and greatest stuff. Because of that no audio company, aside from maybe Bose, JBL, Sennheiser or other giant company can even make a S7 TWS.

And lastly Apple, Sony, Google and Samsung are going to use their own homegrown chips for their TWS. So while yes it's a cool development that I'm excited for, I'm not holding my breath on seeing a lot of manufactures actually use the chipset for the WiFi handoff, and more importantly there's not going to be much devices out there that will even be compatible considering that Snapdragon Sound requires a compatible SoC. That narrows it down to a small number of devices out there, and I'm not about to rearrange my phone/laptop/tws etc setup for a slight SQ upgrade. Qualcomm can F off with their proprietary tech for all I care.

M&D just announced a TWS with the latest and greatest from Qualcomm, and they are a tiny player compared to every company that you listed...Sony, Apple and Samsung will continue using their own proprietary solutions no matter what.

Samsung even refused to add Aptx HD to their phones after it was added to the AOSP. Just like how they refuses to add Dolby Vision even to their most expensive TVs.

I would love it if Qualcomm went open source...But just like Samsung, Apple and Google their share holders want to see a return on their investments.

At least with Qualcomm you are getting the very best...whilst Google and Samsung keeps charging top dollars for phones with a vastly inferior SoC (Tensor/Exynos).

I just dont see how Qualcomm are the bad guys compared to Apple, Google and Samsung.

Do you think that Samsung/Google/Apple will do away with any proprietary tech any time soon?

Could Qualcomm be more consumer friendly? Ofc...but so could the other major companies.

Also if the benchmarks holds true it will pretty much be a no brainer for anyone remotely tech-savy to buy a Snapdragon X Elite PC. As long as Microsoft/developers sorts out the compability with the new architecture.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #57,929 of 62,422
I'm sure you are as excited as I am for their arrival!

I do want to try those but I am a bit hesitant in case the fit doesn't work out for me, and with a shortage of vendors in Australia that offer a return policy for TWS, I am a bit scared to take the gamble.

Bought my partner the elite 10's the other week to replace her lost QC2's (I secretly also got them because I wanted to see what they were all about, and if I preferred them I would have given her my QC2s and kept using them instead 😂) But I didn't enjoy them as much as the QC2's tuning which seems to have more pronounced highs and mids, and after a few weeks use, even to her ears, did she mention that she prefers the sound of the Bose as well.
Ha!! Perfect…..

Nov 7, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #57,930 of 62,422
M&D just announced a TWS with the latest and greatest from Qualcomm, and they are a tiny player compared to every company that you listed...Sony, Apple and Samsung will continue using their own proprietary solutions no matter what.

Samsung even refused to add Aptx HD to their phones after it was added to the AOSP. Just like how they refuses to add Dolby Vision even to their most expensive TVs.

I would love it if Qualcomm went open source...But just like Samsung, Apple and Google their share holders want to see a return on their investments.

At least with Qualcomm you are getting the very best...whilst Google and Samsung keeps charging top dollars for phones with a vastly inferior SoC (Tensor/Exynos).

I just dont see how Qualcomm are the bad guys compared to Apple, Google and Samsung.

Do you think that Samsung/Google/Apple will do away with any proprietary tech any time soon?

Could Qualcomm be more consumer friendly? Ofc...but so could the other major companies.

Also if the benchmarks holds true it will pretty much be a no brainer for anyone remotely tech-savy to buy a Snapdragon X Elite PC. As long as Microsoft/developers sorts out the compability with the new architecture.
I don't think we'll even get a Snapdragon sound dongle. Qualcomm does have a dongle but it's purely an LE low latency play for gamers. I have no idea about chip architecture but maybe there's a hardware limitation for breaking it out.

I remember when Snapdragon sound first became a thing. I think I had a Google Nexus phone then. It's funny because back then Apple sounded much better. Now Qualcomm kept at it and won the battle, but maybe they lost the war?

Edit: what the heck am I saying? I was using wired back then :darthsmile:.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back