Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 18, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #57,586 of 62,391
Sold out online. Available for order from boutiques direct. I think I'm gonna pass on the MB. Long article today on Engadget on the xMems coming. I think that's my next purchase. I think the Gemini 2 are the most fun buds I've heard in a long while. Pair them with a clean modern recording and they slam. Try this one with them and turn them up:

Yeah I might need to get me some xMems now… damnit!

Oct 18, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #57,587 of 62,391
I’m not sure how eq settings are implemented on the PS5 but on the usb-c receiver there is a switch to change the receiver to PS5 mode.

On PC I think the eq settings are loaded only on the software. I don’t think that many tw earbuds load the profiles onto the earbuds themselves?

Ok, thanks!

I'll keep my eye out for more impressions/reviews for how they specifically work on PS5.

Yes, many TWS do save EQ settings etc. onto the buds themselves so they're then used when paired to different devices.

Oct 18, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #57,588 of 62,391
So yesterday I had a chance to try Gemini 2 and Montblanc. Just for 15 minutes or so, after each other.
For me it was one clear winner - MTB. Very subjective, but sound is so much more refined, detailed and pleasant.
Gemini were too aggressive for my liking. Both bass, treble and presentation. They worked well for classical and rap/hip/r&b, otherwise they would be too much for longer than a few songs.
Using Apple eq I was able to twist them a bit (pop preset worked well), but they lost their signature/greatness, if it makes sense?
Another issue, slight connectivity glitches (L/R) out of sync few times. And when I put them back in case, than in my ears again - they didn’t want to connect to my phone (connected to the sellers phone and stayed there).
Where they did shine was ANC - really great! A felt like MB ones didn’t do much there.

Despite MTB being much better sound wise, I’m still wondering is Gemini would be a better choice for me, since I’m looking for buds to take to the gym/for a run. More ANC and aggressive music doesn’t hurt when benching.

It was all in store, short session. Would love to try both of them in real world and more extensive listening.

I think I’m going to give MTB a chance first. They offer 30 days free returns, so might test drive them and see if they performs well enough for me to keep them. I know I do love the sound, but they need to convince me with the rest. At that price, it has to be a complete package.

The MTB is really a very pleasant surprise. I having gone to the point of quitting TWS for music purposes altogether after my PNK broke - after having my PNK I couldn't really go back to my Victor or final audio. I had very low expectation when I went to demo the Montblanc, thinking it is another luxury product which you pay for the brand and the packaging and aesthetics - but the quality is very obvious once I hit the play button. The beryllium driver (which is not at all uncommon these days but not every execution results in great sound) sounds very crisp and satisfyingly revealing for a single DD, and there is a true sense of balance in it that is very welcoming. Since getting them I have left my DAPs and iems at home for a couple of weeks already.

Oct 18, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #57,589 of 62,391
For Bose QC Ultra owners, does any aptx adaptive Bluetooth transmitter work with the buds?

Or does the transmitter itself also have to be snapdragon sound certified?

Disappointed that it doesn't support even regular aptx...
Still waiting for that firmware update for my Bose QC II that promised aptx and was scheduled for 'spring 2023' ...

"At the Qualcomm Snapdragon Summit, Bose (who partnered with Qualcomm earlier this year) announced that it will offer a firmware update next spring to bring the codec onboard the buds, alongside low latency."

from whathifi

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #57,590 of 62,391
So I received the Soundcore Liberty 4 NC, firmware update done and I'm...very disappointed ! The ANC is very "weak sauce", the "wind" setting not effective when riding a bike, and TBH it's sometimes hard to tell what mode you're in ANC/OFF/Hear-Through ! In fact in some environments HT Almost cancels more noise than ANC ! Oh and passive isolation is not that good in the first place. The SQ is okish but certainly not on par with the Jabra 10. In terms of "budget" ANC TWS, I would rate them quite lower than the Earfun Air Pro 2 (same form factor) or Earfun Free Pro 2 (IEM form factor). Well they do work better for calls but I don't really need that too often.

Oh and someone spotted in the video that Youtuber MOB had put the eartips the WRONG way round on his Jabra 10's so naturally the results wouldn't be too good :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #57,591 of 62,391
i bought the Pixel Buds Pro last week. so my experience is rather new with them (i was using using the Soundcore Liberty Pro 3 for the last year or so), but i'm positively surprised.
ok, the default sound is too basshead (and i'm a bit basshead myself), but with some tweaks in the EQ, i've found a really good sound. with the original silicon tips.

the soundstage of the Soundcore L3P is bigger and better, but it's natural. the dual drivers help a lot.
but these Pixel Buds Pro don't loose for much in the sound quality department. and the ANC and transparency mode are far far better in the Pixels, imo.
with these last aditional features the Buds Pro are becoming a safe bet to be a workhorse, for me.

i now use the Soundcore L3P for more audiophile days at home.
Rest assured, the thing with soundstage is tip-dependent. I'm not kidding when I'm saying that the soundstage with the right eartip is huge, way bigger than the L3P's.
I think the ones I'm using now just reaches a certain point into my ear that's deeper than most earbuds as well as being perfectly angled SLIGHTLY away from the directions of the ear canals that just makes it sound pretty massive.
I'm listening to the track Into The Woods by Tycho, and I feel like the ambient synths in that track are bouncing around inside a huge cavern with me sitting in the middle of that cavern.
The Pixel Buds Pro aren't the best when it comes to delivering audiophile-level clarity or anything like that, but the sense of space I get from them ever surpasses over-ear headphones I have, and I've never had an earbud that feels as much like a live experience as this one.

BUT, this only works with that specific eartip AFAIK (and I'm not sure if it's ear-shape-related either so your mileage may very even with the same conditions) because I would agree with your statement on the soundstage with the stock tips.
I've heard most of the popular earbuds from the last year or so, and this beats every single one of them for soundstage the way I'm using them. But I would also not recommend anyone else buy it for that purpose because I feel like I've stumbled into some sort goose that lays gold eggs or something, I'm not sure other people would get the same experience.

Oct 18, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #57,592 of 62,391
Rest assured, the thing with soundstage is tip-dependent. I'm not kidding when I'm saying that the soundstage with the right eartip is huge, way bigger than the L3P's.

what tips do you recommend? those dual flange eartips by Noble?
are they silicone ou memory foam?

they fit well in the charging case? no problems with that?

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #57,593 of 62,391
Still waiting for that firmware update for my Bose QC II that promised aptx and was scheduled for 'spring 2023' ...

"At the Qualcomm Snapdragon Summit, Bose (who partnered with Qualcomm earlier this year) announced that it will offer a firmware update next spring to bring the codec onboard the buds, alongside low latency."

from whathifi
This - is why I have trust issues and often find myself being disappointed with products. They release something and then silent…like B&W - and while I’ve gotten a few things from them in the past - until they start to take the software seriously… not again.

Oct 18, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #57,594 of 62,391
This - is why I have trust issues and often find myself being disappointed with products. They release something and then silent…like B&W - and while I’ve gotten a few things from them in the past - until they start to take the software seriously… not again.
It's just become the norm in so many industries -- Ship it sooner and fix it (maybe) eventually
Same with games / software developers (more likely publishers)

Oct 18, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #57,595 of 62,391
Oct 18, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #57,597 of 62,391
The MTB is really a very pleasant surprise. I having gone to the point of quitting TWS for music purposes altogether after my PNK broke - after having my PNK I couldn't really go back to my Victor or final audio. I had very low expectation when I went to demo the Montblanc, thinking it is another luxury product which you pay for the brand and the packaging and aesthetics - but the quality is very obvious once I hit the play button. The beryllium driver (which is not at all uncommon these days but not every execution results in great sound) sounds very crisp and satisfyingly revealing for a single DD, and there is a true sense of balance in it that is very welcoming. Since getting them I have left my DAPs and iems at home for a couple of weeks already.
Picked up Mine today while in Germany for work stuff. They said that only physical stores will have the stock.

Attachments

• 16976517108322465583135126259433.jpg
    16976517108322465583135126259433.jpg
    672.5 KB · Views: 0
Oct 18, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #57,598 of 62,391
I don’t think I see LDAC listed like on the regular Svanar page.
might be the only difference - that's a of money I paid for something I don't use as much lol. I tend to use them more with my iPhone than my Sony DAP as once I use my DAP I use wired IEMs anyway.

Oct 18, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #57,599 of 62,391
Picked up Mine today while in Germany for work stuff. They said that only physical stores will have the stock.
wonder why that is - as I was thinking of getting these but I am not going to be near a store in ages so I guess it's a no then

Oct 18, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #57,600 of 62,391
wonder why that is - as I was thinking of getting these but I am not going to be near a store in ages so I guess it's a no then
I think they have them in stock in NYC. allow me to offer up my collection and shipping services for mere cost of my own set 😂. Shipping of course is included in the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back