Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 28, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #57,121 of 62,435
Yeah, Im in the same spot, the AZ80's are such a great all rounders. I'm deffo waiting for the next "big thing" , but for now the AZ80 will have to do.

Hopefully more "traditional" Audio OEMS will delve into the wireless market and make some big contribution. There's just a big problem ANC/Software is a whole different ball game than just making ordinary analogue audio products. A few larger companies like Sennheiser have the financial resources to tackle this problem, but many smaller/niche OEM's dont... :/

Very few OEM can actually nail ANC/Software with an impressive SQ, either these traditional Audio OEMs skips the ANC part or they make it an afterthought. I feel like Technics has come the closest so far with combining Software/Anc with audio fidelity.

I know this is a TES-dedicated thread...I'd also love seeing OEMs embrace wireless Open-back cans! So far there's what The HifiMan Deva Pros? A pair of large open backs could also have quite the longevity since changing batteries should be much easier than on a small set of TWS buds.

In the short term I'm mostly looking forward to finally have Aptx Lossless/LC3+ on most devices (my Phone is already ready with the Xperia 1 V). What I can't wrap my head around to is why Qualcomm isn't sitting down with Microsoft and Google, wouldn't it be best for Qualcomm if Google/Microsoft made Aptx Lossless a standard part of the OS like what happened to LDAC after Android 9?
Grado has them, check their site….

“I know this is a TES-dedicated thread...I'd also love seeing OEMs embrace wireless Open-back cans!”

Sep 28, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #57,122 of 62,435
Sep 28, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #57,126 of 62,435
Thanks. Just ordered the Elite 10 from Best Buy for delivery tomorrow. Always wanted to try out the Jabras and their semi open design. Spend a lot of time on calls for work.
Elite 10s have arrived. Really like the size and shape of the case. Easy to put in a pocket and slimmer than my Buds2 Pro even though it is bigger. The cover of the case does feel flimsy to me so will have to be a little careful. Photos attached for size comparison to my Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro and Sennheiser MTW3. Unfortunately, I will need to wait to wait to test sound and call quality as I did not realize there was tape on the buds that prevented them from charging but I can tell they will be very comfortable for calls since they don't completely plug my ears like the GB2P or MTW3 (can't stand that feeling).

Attachments

• PXL_20230928_185716946.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    PXL_20230928_185716946.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230928_190152089.jpg
    PXL_20230928_190152089.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230928_190014869~2.jpg
    PXL_20230928_190014869~2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230928_190052851~2.jpg
    PXL_20230928_190052851~2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Sep 28, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #57,127 of 62,435
Elite 10s have arrived. Really like the size and shape of the case. Easy to put in a pocket and slimmer than my Buds2 Pro even though it is bigger. The cover of the case does feel flimsy to me so will have to be a little careful. Photos attached for size comparison to my Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro and Sennheiser MTW3. Unfortunately, I will need to wait to wait to test sound and call quality as I did not realize there was tape on the buds that prevented them from charging but I can tell they will be very comfortable for calls since they don't completely plug my ears like the GB2P or MTW3 (can't stand that feeling).

Looking forward to your comparison!

Sep 28, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #57,128 of 62,435
Yeah, Im in the same spot, the AZ80's are such a great all rounders. I'm deffo waiting for the next "big thing" , but for now the AZ80 will have to do.

Hopefully more "traditional" Audio OEMS will delve into the wireless market and make some big contribution. There's just a big problem ANC/Software is a whole different ball game than just making ordinary analogue audio products. A few larger companies like Sennheiser have the financial resources to tackle this problem, but many smaller/niche OEM's dont... :/

Very few OEM can actually nail ANC/Software with an impressive SQ, either these traditional Audio OEMs skips the ANC part or they make it an afterthought. I feel like Technics has come the closest so far with combining Software/Anc with audio fidelity.

I know this is a TES-dedicated thread...I'd also love seeing OEMs embrace wireless Open-back cans! So far there's what The HifiMan Deva Pros? A pair of large open backs could also have quite the longevity since changing batteries should be much easier than on a small set of TWS buds.

In the short term I'm mostly looking forward to finally have Aptx Lossless/LC3+ on most devices (my Phone is already ready with the Xperia 1 V). What I can't wrap my head around to is why Qualcomm isn't sitting down with Microsoft and Google, wouldn't it be best for Qualcomm if Google/Microsoft made Aptx Lossless a standard part of the OS like what happened to LDAC after Android 9?
I agree, maybe this is tied to royalties for the codec per device? I don't understand why they can't implement aptx lossless as a standard.

Sep 28, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #57,129 of 62,435
I agree, maybe this is tied to royalties for the codec per device? I don't understand why they can't implement aptx lossless as a standard.

Yeah, but to me that attitude is a bit weird, wouldn't they be able to sell even more SoC is more source devices supported their proprietary codecs?

Sep 28, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #57,130 of 62,435
Maybe I have found my wireless travelling combo for these next months ..

Basically I was thinking to go with WF-1000XM5 and WH1000XM5 => though, I can still change my mind in the short future, but sound quality for me between WF-1000XM5 and EAH-AZ80 is in favour of EAH-AZ80 (more details in mid-high/high that I couldn't compensate with any Parametric EQ).. for Headphones, I just tried the EAH-A800 for 2 weeks and the ANC is clearly more efficient than any of the TWS I own including WF-1000XM5 and EAH-AZ80 (though I could find perfect tips to get perfect seal for my TWS).
So for my next twice 24 to 26 hours overseas trips, I expect to use the EAH-Z80 for walking, short transit trains/metro and sleeping... watching movies, playing games or just taking pleasure with listening HiRES music, the EAH-A800 should do the job rather well..

Unfortunately , my former combo based on WM1A, in BT receiver mode with same ZFold4/5 source in LDAC mode,
1) with a IER-M9 offers a much better sound quality than the EAH-AZ80/WF-1000XM5 by a significant margin
2) with Ampersand and a DCA Stealth I get definitely my SQ reference combo for any wireless system with even a much better stage width and depth than A800.

Just those combos are not really compact, too short playing time available and ANC for planes and trains is really missing almost every time.

20230928_164125 copie.jpg
Doesnt the EQ shift with ANC on bother you with the Headphones?
I thought the 800s were fantastic apart from that :frowning2: - Had to take them back but cant wait for Technics to release an updated version (that hopefully fixes this).
They sound fantastic with ANC off!

Sep 28, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #57,133 of 62,435

Doesn't Aptx lossless require Qualcomm Chipset aka Snapdragon sound? If so, that's very different from LDAC which is just a codec.

Sep 28, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #57,134 of 62,435
Many phones have QUALCOMM Snapdragon chipsets going back years (Moto Z2 Force has a Snapdragon 835 chipset) and do not even support aptX Adaptive.

It is more a Cert on paper now going by what I have been told.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #57,135 of 62,435
Doesn't Aptx lossless require Qualcomm Chipset aka Snapdragon sound? If so, that's very different from LDAC which is just a codec.
It is my understanding that most phones have snapdragon/Qualcomm as a SOC, at least in the USA.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back